Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    997 C4S or 996 Turbo Cab. What would you buy ?

    Hi to all,

    I am going to change my 996 Cab. I have got a very good deal on a brand new 996 TT Cab. It is brand new. It was not sold and is the last one that the dealer has. I have doubts anyway. My question is : what would you guys do by that car or go for a 997 C4S. The price diference is about 15.000 Euros?

    Re: 997 C4S or 996 Turbo Cab. What would you buy ?

    997 c4s => you're driving a new car...

    Re: 997 C4S or 996 Turbo Cab. What would you buy ?

    Seconded, definitely go for a 997.

    The reason your dealer is willing to drop the price of the Turbo is that the Turbo is about to get replaced, so he wants to get rid of it before its value drops even lower.

    Besides, the 997 S is very close to the 996 TT in performance, it looks much better, and the interior is much better (design and quality-wise) as well.

    IMHO, right now, a 996 TT is worth 15k LESS than the 997 C4S, not the opposite.

    Re: 997 C4S or 996 Turbo Cab. What would you buy ?

    Although, I believe that the 997 is a better car than a comparable 996, I would very strongly consider a new 996tt if the price was right. The n/a 997 has no where near the torque or midrange (usable) power of the 996tt. I didn't take the time to convert your posted euro $, but a discount of 18-20% would make me buy the tt.
    Although the new tt will make the 996tt prices drop, much, of that has, most-likey, already occurred.
    I own a 2005 997S and absolutely love it, but these cars have depreciated a fair amount already.
    I would check a major dealer market, like Manheim (USA) to determine what the used 996tt's were bringing at the auction. This will give you a reference point. Also consider that you will have a longer warranty (transferable) and far less miles than a used tt selling at the auction, so add a few dollars to what you would pay for the 996tt from the dealer.

    I bought the 997S

    I faced the same decision. Drove both. Bought the 997S. The 997S was better. About the same performance (which suprised me), better design, factory warranty, and the same money for a perfect 2005 997S vs. 2001 or 2002 excellent 996tt.

    997S all the way. Don't know if the 4S is worth the difference?

    Re: I bought the 997S

    I'm interested in your comparison: Any TT I met in my 997S has been much quicker mid range. If I'm in the right gear and have 5K plus on the tacho, then you can hold most things but a 996TT is still a very quick car on a road. On the track well I'd agree because the grip and balance of the newer car count for a lot.

    I woudn't dispute that the 997 is much better perceived quality inside (it still rattles though) but what do you mean when you say the performance is about the same?

    Re: I bought the 997S

    This is just my experience from driving the two cars consecutively. Mostly low-end accelleration and cornering. The 997S seemed to pull at least as hard as the tt from a standing start. My guess is that the tt will pull harder at mid range - that makes sense and is consistent with your experience. I just did not have a comparison at mid range.

    I thought 97S cornered better.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Quote:
    james4513 said:
    I faced the same decision. Drove both. Bought the 997S. The 997S was better. About the same performance (which suprised me), better design, factory warranty, and the same money for a perfect 2005 997S vs. 2001 or 2002 excellent 996tt.

    997S all the way. Don't know if the 4S is worth the difference?



    I believe that the original post was regarding a new 996tt, therefore full warranty would apply and if it's a left over, I would assume it's probably a 2005.
    Regarding mid-range power though, I would have to disagree. Even the 996tt makes well over 100 ft./lbs. of torque, more, than our 997S's and does it about 2000 rpms sooner. Even the added weight of the turbo won't offset that great of advantage. Not to mention the 65 additional ponies.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Road & Track 0-60 this month:

    997S 3.9 sec
    996tt

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Road & Track 0-60 this month:

    997S 3.9 sec
    996tt 4.0 sec

    Re: I bought the 997S

    No one has ever reproduced the time for the 997S.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Antonio,

    Hola. Antes de comprar mi 997 S del 2.006 me encontraba en un dilema similar al tuyo. Tenía la opción de un 996 Turbo Coupé u optar por un 997 S o C4S. Ya había sido dueño de un 996 C4S del 2.004 y compré el 997 S por varias razones. Primero; la calidad de los materiales empleados en la construcción de los interiores del 997 es muy superior al 996, como ya sabrás. A eso añádele la nueva tecnología como el PASM y el Sport Crono - que es opcional aunque indispensable - y el que, para todo uso práctico, el 997 S es casi tan veloz como el 996 Turbo. Tuve la oportunidad de comparar un 996 Turbo contra mi 996 C4S en muchas ocasiones ya que mi hermano era dueño de un Turbo y, con la superioridad de las prestaciones que tiene el 997 S comparadas a mi 996 C4S, puedo decirte con certeza que merece la pena comprar el 997 S antes que el 996 Turbo. Mejor esperas por el 997 Turbo que viene pronto y así tienes un coche basado en la nueva plataforma y con varios años por delante luciendo como un coche nuevo. Venga, espero haberte ayudado un poco con esta decisión la cual es muy personal. Suerte en tu próxima compra.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Man I wish I ordered a 997s instead of a 997 now

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Antonio,

    Hola. Antes de comprar mi 997 S del 2.006 me encontraba en un dilema similar al tuyo. Tenía la opción de un 996 Turbo Coupé u optar por un 997 S o C4S. Ya había sido dueño de un 996 C4S del 2.004 y compré el 997 S por varias razones. Primero; la calidad de los materiales empleados en la construcción de los interiores del 997 es muy superior al 996, como ya sabrás. A eso añádele la nueva tecnología como el PASM y el Sport Crono - que es opcional aunque indispensable - y el que, para todo uso práctico, el 997 S es casi tan veloz como el 996 Turbo. Tuve la oportunidad de comparar un 996 Turbo contra mi 996 C4S en muchas ocasiones ya que mi hermano era dueño de un Turbo y, con la superioridad de las prestaciones que tiene el 997 S comparadas a mi 996 C4S, puedo decirte con certeza que merece la pena comprar el 997 S antes que el 996 Turbo. Mejor esperas por el 997 Turbo que viene pronto y así tienes un coche basado en la nueva plataforma y con varios años por delante luciendo como un coche nuevo. Venga, espero haberte ayudado un poco con esta decisión la cual es muy personal. Suerte en tu próxima compra.



    ?Que?

    Re: I bought the 997S

    997S is not able to keep up with 996TT (other than on the track or a twisty stretch of road). so if you want all out speed, the choice is clear.

    however, cab does lack rigidity to handle 996TT's massive power & torque IMO (some may disagree with me on this), so go with 997S (or S4) if you want something more balanced or up to date.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    997 C4S ... New everything!!! Go for it!!!

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Quote:
    james4513 said:
    Road & Track 0-60 this month:

    997S 3.9 sec
    996tt 4.0 sec



    Unfortunately, these are unrealistic times for the 997S. Why don't you compare Porsche's official times?!
    I wish the 997S did a 3.9 or a 9.9 like the same rag posted; that has not been replicated and is not a consistent number...stick to the facts.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    I totally agree that these are unrealistic times in practice for both cars. The interesting thing about the R&T time trials is that they are conducted in exactly the same way, so the relative times are the ones to look at. My point his that at the low end there is not much practical difference. On a trace, that would be different. I, too, would have expected the 996tt a little to be faster. The 997tt will clearly blow away the 997S at any speed.

    Re: I bought the 997S

    wow...so is this the second magazine to get a sub 4 second time for the 997S ?

    edit: oh...ok. nevermind
    i thought this was a new test & they got 3.9 again...but if its the old test you're talking about nevermind

    Re: I bought the 997S

    Quote:
    james4513 said:
    I totally agree that these are unrealistic times in practice for both cars. The interesting thing about the R&T time trials is that they are conducted in exactly the same way, so the relative times are the ones to look at. My point his that at the low end there is not much practical difference. On a trace, that would be different. I, too, would have expected the 996tt a little to be faster. The 997tt will clearly blow away the 997S at any speed.



    That IS the point; that the low end of the 996tt is far greater than the 997S, a definate PRACTICAL difference. A 996tt roll on with a 997S, the 996tt will also "blow" it away. Maybe you test drove a slow tt,
    And, regarding relative testing, what do you think Porsche does.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 2/14/19 1:26 AM
    watt
    330986 2045
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 2/18/19 7:25 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    218138 1119
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 2/15/19 11:05 AM
    RCA
    145927 2579
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/18/19 12:45 PM
    chuckb
    60988 801
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 2/18/19 9:28 AM
    RCA
    16240 149
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14671 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 2/18/19 11:28 AM
    RCA
    10118 127
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/18/19 8:51 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    3116 60
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    486857 4255
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/29/19 10:07 PM
    nberry
    422071 5220
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    317576 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    286601 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 2/14/19 7:29 PM
    WhoopsyM
    280458 2759
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/30/19 3:10 AM
    ha
    219256 2777
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    195564 1789
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/18/19 10:28 AM
    RCA
    191503 3355
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    157714 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144594 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    113003 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107913 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 2/18/19 1:00 PM
    RCA
    99000 1370
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68826 673
    Others Tesla Roadster 2/13/19 8:40 AM
    RCA
    57235 1723
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    48404 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43572 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    43128 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40844 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 12/4/18 3:17 PM
    BiTurbo
    40608 650
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 2/14/19 1:44 PM
    RCA
    40261 387
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/13/18 2:27 PM
    RCA
    39205 804
    268 items found, displaying 1 to 30.