Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread



    Re: Auto Express first drive *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

    POST ACCIDENTALLY DELETED
    What obsession with the push vs pull of the gear lever! Oh my God! It's been discussed here many times already so I apologise for mentioning it again.
    But the way some people talk about the intuitive manner of doing the gear change, it is like humans are born with the instinct to change gears on a clutchless system.
    I've never driven a serious automated manual before (I suppose my Smart ForTwo doesn't count) but for me my intuition tells me to push to move up a gear because my instinct tells me go up/forward=push and to pull to move down a gear because for me go down=pull back/rein the car.
    So there is no right or wrong unfortunately. Maybe a genetic study should be undertaken to differentiate people on the basis of this instinct by race, colour, geographical area etc.
    It is also the journalists that try to emulate racers and imagine every car as a racing car or maybe some journalists without the mental capacity to move from one system to another. Obviously if they are not so adaptable then they will have a problem in doing more mundane things in life.
    A proviso though! I really hope that when I get my PDK-equiped Porsche and when the those dreaded g forces come under heeeeavy braking, my hand will not be accidentally forced to move forward and push me into a higher gear instead of a lower one and end up being passed before the chicane and losing the race.

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    Quote:
    reginos said:
    What obsession with the push vs pull of the gear lever! Oh my God! It's been discussed here many times already so I apologise for mentioning it again.
    But the way some people talk about the intuitive manner of doing the gear change, it is like humans are born with the instinct to change gears on a clutchless system.
    I've never driven a serious automated manual before (I suppose my Smart ForTwo doesn't count) but for me my intuition tells me to push to move up a gear because my instinct tells me go up/forward=push and to pull to move down a gear because for me go down=pull back/rein the car.
    So there is no right or wrong unfortunately. Maybe a genetic study should be undertaken to differentiate people on the basis of this instinct by race, colour, geographical area etc.
    It is also the journalists that try to emulate racers and imagine every car as a racing car or maybe some journalists without the mental capacity to move from one system to another. Obviously if they are not so adaptable then they will have a problem in doing more mundane things in life.
    A proviso though! I really hope that when I get my PDK-equiped Porsche and when the those dreaded g forces come under heeeeavy braking, my hand will not be accidentally forced to move forward and push me into a higher gear instead of a lower one and end up being passed before the chicane and losing the race.



    They also fail to mention that unlike other flappy paddle boxes, you can upshift AND downshift with one hand.

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    Quote:
    leveraged said:They also fail to mention that unlike other flappy paddle boxes, you can upshift AND downshift with one hand.


    You can do that with the manual too

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    leveraged said:They also fail to mention that unlike other flappy paddle boxes, you can upshift AND downshift with one hand.


    You can do that with the manual too



    But you need a left foot also.

    Imagine if the world had never seen/experienced a manual transmission before and Porsche just invented it. Can you imagine the uproar on Rennteam with people asking how in the world can we operate a clutch with the left foot and the manual gear shift with the right hand. And how unnatural a series of movements which would be required to go from 1st gear to 2nd gear? And how in the world can we expect to synchronize the lower left part of our body with the upper right of our body. And to do so in an efficient manner as we are traveling at a high rate of speed. Forget about downshifting. How is using a manual transmission, 'natural'. I'm not even going to mention how we have to "push forward" the clutch to shift gears forward under maximum g-forces with our body being pinned to our seats.

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    There is a reason you have the "+" back and "-" in front in motorsports.

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    My preference will always be manual

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:Imagine if the world had never seen/experienced a manual transmission before and Porsche just invented it. Can you imagine the uproar on Rennteam with people asking how in the world can we operate a clutch with the left foot and the manual gear shift with the right hand. And how unnatural a series of movements which would be required to go from 1st gear to 2nd gear? And how in the world can we expect to synchronize the lower left part of our body with the upper right of our body. And to do so in an efficient manner as we are traveling at a high rate of speed. Forget about downshifting. How is using a manual transmission, 'natural'. I'm not even going to mention how we have to "push forward" the clutch to shift gears forward under maximum g-forces with our body being pinned to our seats.


    True - it does seem pretty complicated, but it is fun

    Re: Auto Express first drive

    One day a journalist will be brave enough not to follow the crowd...I have just driven my manual 20K miles and will let you know the difference when I have driven my PDK 20K miles too..... alternatively I could just make my mind up after an hour or so.....

    Re: Auto Express first drive *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

    Quote:
    reginos said:
    POST ACCIDENTALLY DELETED
    What obsession with the push vs pull of the gear lever! Oh my God! It's been discussed here many times already so I apologise for mentioning it again.
    But the way some people talk about the intuitive manner of doing the gear change, it is like humans are born with the instinct to change gears on a clutchless system.
    I've never driven a serious automated manual before (I suppose my Smart ForTwo doesn't count) but for me my intuition tells me to push to move up a gear because my instinct tells me go up/forward=push and to pull to move down a gear because for me go down=pull back/rein the car.
    So there is no right or wrong unfortunately. Maybe a genetic study should be undertaken to differentiate people on the basis of this instinct by race, colour, geographical area etc.
    It is also the journalists that try to emulate racers and imagine every car as a racing car or maybe some journalists without the mental capacity to move from one system to another. Obviously if they are not so adaptable then they will have a problem in doing more mundane things in life.
    A proviso though! I really hope that when I get my PDK-equiped Porsche and when the those dreaded g forces come under heeeeavy braking, my hand will not be accidentally forced to move forward and push me into a higher gear instead of a lower one and end up being passed before the chicane and losing the race.



    Nice try. Unfortunately, you individual "intuition" (with your smart car or what not) can not out weight those of countless engineers, race car drivers and decades of experiences gained and accumilated from motorsports.

    - = push, + = pull. Period.

    Journalists trying to emulate racers or not, there is no denying that the same physical law dictates everyone regardlessly. You never know that one day in a split second emergency when there is no time to think but one's only chance is at the mercy of the physical law, the heavy breaking G that pushes him/her forward and a proper "- = push" gearbox might just save one's life.

    And for those who repeatedly compare this to the manual gearbox, I would not even going into an debate with all of you. You are obviously compare apples to oranges. If the manual doesn't have it's inherited shortcomings like one DOES need to fight with G force negotiating with clutch paddles and push-pull movements, then ALL race are would be in H patten manuals then. Sequential > Manual, end of discussion.

    Then let's compare PDK with all other SEQUENTIAL gearboxes.

    Re: Auto Express first drive *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

    Quote:
    jo2k said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    POST ACCIDENTALLY DELETED
    What obsession with the push vs pull of the gear lever! Oh my God! It's been discussed here many times already so I apologise for mentioning it again.
    But the way some people talk about the intuitive manner of doing the gear change, it is like humans are born with the instinct to change gears on a clutchless system.
    I've never driven a serious automated manual before (I suppose my Smart ForTwo doesn't count) but for me my intuition tells me to push to move up a gear because my instinct tells me go up/forward=push and to pull to move down a gear because for me go down=pull back/rein the car.
    So there is no right or wrong unfortunately. Maybe a genetic study should be undertaken to differentiate people on the basis of this instinct by race, colour, geographical area etc.
    It is also the journalists that try to emulate racers and imagine every car as a racing car or maybe some journalists without the mental capacity to move from one system to another. Obviously if they are not so adaptable then they will have a problem in doing more mundane things in life.
    A proviso though! I really hope that when I get my PDK-equiped Porsche and when the those dreaded g forces come under heeeeavy braking, my hand will not be accidentally forced to move forward and push me into a higher gear instead of a lower one and end up being passed before the chicane and losing the race.



    Nice try. Unfortunately, you individual "intuition" (with your smart car or what not) can not out weight those of countless engineers, race car drivers and decades of experiences gained and accumilated from motorsports.

    - = push, + = pull. Period.

    Journalists trying to emulate racers or not, there is no denying that the same physical law dictates everyone regardlessly. You never know that one day in a split second emergency when there is no time to think but one's only chance is at the mercy of the physical law, the heavy breaking G that pushes him/her forward and a proper "- = push" gearbox might just save one's life.

    And for those who repeatedly compare this to the manual gearbox, I would not even going into an debate with all of you. You are obviously compare apples to oranges. If the manual doesn't have it's inherited shortcomings like one DOES need to fight with G force negotiating with clutch paddles and push-pull movements, then ALL race are would be in H patten manuals then. Sequential > Manual, end of discussion.

    Then let's compare PDK with all other SEQUENTIAL gearboxes.


    Obviously your personal preference is different from mine and I respect what you like.
    However, my preference is based on my own intuition and biomechanics and it is not shaped by journalists and by what goes on in racing, but by what suits me. If people try to emulate racers or take for granted what each and every journalist writes to make a living, they might end up with the wrong fixed ideas.

    Re: Auto Express first drive *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*

    Quote:
    jo2k said:
    Journalists trying to emulate racers or not, there is no denying that the same physical law dictates everyone regardlessly. You never know that one day in a split second emergency when there is no time to think but one's only chance is at the mercy of the physical law, the heavy breaking G that pushes him/her forward and a proper "- = push" gearbox might just save one's life.




    Under your heavy braking scenario, the PDK would probably downshift for you anyways.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/15/17 7:39 PM
    Wonderbar
    255875 1620
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/16/17 2:38 AM
    Leawood911
    235413 3742
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/16/17 2:48 AM
    DJM48
    79834 1266
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 12/12/17 12:52 PM
    RCA
    60356 637
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 12/15/17 8:14 PM
    Targa Tim
    36331 437
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23160 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13065 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5531 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    539844 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 12/16/17 1:13 AM
    DaveGordon
    448588 5807
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    441369 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    250606 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/29/17 1:09 PM
    DJM48
    243295 2520
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1
     
     
     
     
     
    229548 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/27/17 12:09 PM
    the-missile
    208594 2479
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173865 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 12/15/17 1:44 PM
    RCA
    160228 1072
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    159727 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 12/15/17 11:32 AM
    RCA
    135809 1190
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 12/16/17 12:34 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    134966 2830
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122807 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo
     
     
     
     
     
    106737 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 12/4/17 11:20 PM
    Wonderbar
    106698 1283
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105784 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/12/17 10:39 AM
    Lars997M
    103088 1837
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    83599 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    80481 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    77637 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    65211 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    62839 163
    377 items found, displaying 1 to 30.