Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How long before 997 is replaced?

How long generally is the life circle of porsche designs? when do you expect the replacement for the 997 to be introduced?

Re: How long before 997 is replaced?

Quote:
    luko said:
    How long generally is the life circle of porsche designs? when do you expect the replacement for the 997 to be introduced?

Are you kidding? The 997 just has been introduced last year.
    A few 911 variants have to follow, the 997 Turbo, etc. I'd expect a facelift (NOT a new model or replacement) by around 2007 (MY 2008) and a completely new 911 (998?) by 2009 maybe or even 2010 (MY 2011).

The 997 has such a "clean" 911 design, it will be pretty difficult to replace it.

I don't think Porsche will introduce a new 911 before 2011-2012..
    They got too many things to do before..
    The net Cayenne.. and the Brand-New Panamera..
    (and a conv. cayman? )

Discover, your timing is off.

RC is pretty close, although I don't see the 997 as the perfect design at this point. I'd look for the next iteration to show more CGT, less 993.

Just a hunch.

My best guess would be around 2010, definitely not before then.
    If you start thinking about the 998, or whatever it will, you'll probably never be able to fully enjoy the 997.

I'd say it depends on the competition. If the 997 et al starts to fall way behind then you might see something sooner then mentioned above.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    I'd say it depends on the competition. If the 997 et al starts to fall way behind then you might see something sooner then mentioned above.

You are correct and it will be sooner rather than later. If there is an advantage to the 911 models, it is Porsche needs to do very little to change it. They tweak here and there, give it a new number (998) and the lemmings (the diehards) will flock to buy it. However, the general public is on to Porsche and sport cars sales will continue to decline.

More CGT, less 993?? I'm not betting on that. The CGT is a tour de force of technology and performance, but the styling is more function over form, and I've never seen or heard anybody waxing poetic over the CGT's styling... I believe they'll continue the "evolution" within the 911 envelope, rather than morph it toward styling cues on a car that only a mother (owner) could love in the Carrera GT.

Totally off subject, but honestly, if I had close to a half-mil to blow on a for-fun car burning a hole in my pocket, I'd throw engineering prowess and execution to the wind, and buy one of those stunningly beautiful and earth-shakingly raw Saleen S7 twin turbos.

Quote:
    luko said:

I OWN the three volume 1500 page Karl Ludvigsen definitive history of Porsche and read less than 5 percent of it so I think I'm highly qualified to answer this question.

Isn't the Cayman and CGT considered some sort of clue that Porsche might finally discontinue/phase out/deemphasize the rear engine 911 before long?

Remember the guys who were kids oogling the first 911s are almost ready to start dying off.

My bet is the Cayman ( or a mid-engined 911 Who needs the back seats?) will become the flagship Porsche model in the not too distant future.

MMD - I hope you are wrong..
    the 911 is the heart and soul of Porsche..
    all other models are just for the profit and express all the knowledge that Porsche have gained all over the years..
    for example -
    the CGT is an answer for Ferrari's ENZO and Merc's SLR..
    the Cayenne is the answer for BMW's X5 and Merc's M class..
    the Boxster & Cayman are the answers for Merc's SLK, BMW's Z4 (Starting against the Z3..), and more..
    And always - Porsche beats the hell out of it's rivals (at least for some's opinions )..

Only the 911 is has the true spirit of Porsche..
    The specialty of a REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE READ-ENGINE CAR.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    luko said:

I OWN the three volume 1500 page Karl Ludvigsen definitive history of Porsche and read less than 5 percent of it so I think I'm highly qualified to answer this question.

Isn't the Cayman and CGT considered some sort of clue that Porsche might finally discontinue/phase out/deemphasize the rear engine 911 before long?

Remember the guys who were kids oogling the first 911s are almost ready to start dying off.

My bet is the Cayman ( or a mid-engined 911 Who needs the back seats?) will become the flagship Porsche model in the not too distant future.

MMD,

Interesting theory you have there and while I wish for it NOT to be true it seems to be consistent with this little article/rumour in Auto Spies:

http://www.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=5673&categoryId=21

"This is one wicked rumor!

There is a ton of speculation about what will happen to sales of the 911 once the Cayman is available.

Porsche swears less than three percent of 911 buyers will be swayed and purchase a Cayman instead.

But dealers we have been surveying aren't as confident.

Our sources tell us that they believe sales of the plain jane 911 will fall dramatically.

Experts say that the buyer who wants the 911 will step up and buy the Carerra S, putting the regular 911 out to pasture.

And who could blame them.

The 'S' is amazing.

And if you have enough to buy a 911, what's another 8k to get the best 911 in history?

Or a Carerra 4 or 4S?

So will the 911 be discontinued?

Not officially by Porsche.

But we predict sales will weaken substantially and Porsche will scale down building regular 911's accordingly.

In fact, dealers are telling us it is already beginning.

The bottom line is people who want the 911, want the 'S'.

And we have absolutely NO problem with that.

In fact, 001's 2006 'S' is just about ready for delivery."

Quote:
    MMD said:

How much do you want to bet? Just a little hint: Porsche's model planning has already reached beyond 2010.

To Nick: so the current 997 is just a tweaked 996, do I get you right? So I wonder why almost 80% of the parts of the 997 CS are different compared to the 996 Carrera 2. Even the engine, which is based on the M96 design, has almost no part in common with the "old" M96 engine.

But if you know better...enlighten us.

Sorry folks, but the Cayman taking the helm from the 911 is about as likely as the Solstice taking over for the Corvette... I'm sure GM could build one mamba jamba of a 400 h.p. Solstice..... but it wouldn't put hardly a dent in the Corvette's armor. Same goes for the even MORE iconic 911.

Quote:
    RC said:

Yeah right LOL I've decided to not renew my subscription to Excellence. Not enough time and way too much to absorb and figure out. There's no way I'll ever catch up to you guys here.

Quote:
    MMD said:

I better stop driving my 997S - as it will soon be a collector's item - the final 911 design.

Preposterous

Quote:
    MMD said:

This is true, BUT those same kids are now the fathers of the kids (us) oogling the current generation of 911's. And when you and I drive our 911's around, we see (at least I do) kids too young to drive oogling at our cars. So long as Porsche continues to re-engineer the 911 to compete with other modern sports cars (and this seems to be the case), it will be around for alot longer, much to the chagrin of the Porschephobes out there. One area of technological advance I can foresee is not only the mere accumulation of horsepower, but also the use of less dense materials to minimize weight at no expense of structural integrity.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

This is true, BUT those same kids are now the fathers of the kids (us) oogling the current generation of 911's. And when you and I drive our 911's around, we see (at least I do) kids too young to drive oogling at our cars. So long as Porsche continues to re-engineer the 911 to compete with other modern sports cars (and this seems to be the case), it will be around for alot longer, much to the chagrin of the Porschephobes out there. One area of technological advance I can foresee is not only the mere accumulation of horsepower, but also the use of less dense materials to minimize weight at no expense of structural integrity.

Aaaah, life in places like Rochester, where tykes still ogle P's....

Would think that in an era of internet info/cheap flts to LA, etc, interested rugrats (even from small towns) would be less impacted by mere sight of a P.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:

Aaaah, life in places like Rochester, where tykes still ogle P's....

Would think that in an era of internet info/cheap flts to LA, etc, interested rugrats (even from small towns) would be less impacted by mere sight of a P.....

It turns out that in most parts of the world, most kids think 911's are cool, maybe not on the left coast of the USA, but elsewhere it's still the case.

Over here in Germany, no matter if I pick up my kids in Kindergarten with the Boxster, 911 or Cayenne, they go wild whenever they see these cars and shout out loud PORSCHE, A PORSCHE... Never saw these kind of things regarding any other car and most parents are driving BMWs, VWs, Mercedes, Volvos, etc. My daughter always tells me that our cars are "cool" (she is 4) and my son is hardly to convince to drive in any other car than my 911. Whenever he enters the garage, he immediately points to the 911 in the back and runs to the door to open it. My son is 2, he doesn't speak much yet but he knows what he likes.

Unfortunately this "coolness" of Porsche cars also creates a lot of envy over here. But NEVER at the same level as if I would own a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Owning italian beasts would probably close all doors for me and my family, no more friends and helpful neighbors. Sad but true. So I think a Porsche is a good "compromise" over here in Germany, people started to "accept" it socially. No wonder, over 70% of all Porsche cars over here are actually company cars, the german IRS already accepted the 911 as a "common" business car. Lucky me.

Quote:
    RC said:

So I think a Porsche is a good "compromise" over here in Germany, people started to "accept" it socially.

the german IRS already accepted the 911 as a "common" business car. Lucky me.

Yes, RC,

I feel the same way driving my 911 Turbo to my office-I don't think my patients view the car as too "over-indulgent," it's understated and respectable.

Now if only the American IRS would give me a tax break for buying one, then I would be set.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Yes, RC, I feel the same way driving my 911 Turbo to my office-I don't think my patients view the car as too "over-indulgent," it's understated and respectable.

Now if only the American IRS would give me a tax break for buying one, then I would be set.

My friend is a dentist and he told me some patients made negative remarks about his driving an expensive Benz. I told him to ask those patients if they'd feel better going to a dentist who drove a jalopy.

Dropped my almost 14 year old stepdaughter off at school a few days ago in my S. You would have thought we had pulled up in the space shuttle, every neck snapped to our direction, and her group of friends immediately started screaming and making a big elaborate episode about her arriving in such a cool car. In a positive way, that is..(they didn't razz or scorn her over it is what I'm saying). And it's a private school, where there's no shortage of Mercs, BMW's and mega-lux SUV's pulling through the drop-off.

In my neck of the woods, I find that it's the kids that go ape-sh** over my car, and the adults that are fairly oblivious to it. In my book, THAT'S PERFECT. I don't like it when grown men and women are sitting there just staring at me like an accident scene, but the kiddies are hilarious to play with and interact with at stoplights and such.

Good to hear that kids are still wowed by P's....
    Now the question is what happens in that some 10-15 yr period btwn childhood and post-college.....'cause it seems like sportscar nuts are a small and endangered species among any adults w/bucks....

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:

Man do I wish

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

In my neck of the woods, I find that it's the kids that go ape-sh** over my car, and the adults that are fairly oblivious to it. In my book, THAT'S PERFECT. I don't like it when grown men and women are sitting there just staring at me like an accident scene, but the kiddies are hilarious to play with and interact with at stoplights and such.

Same in my town and the feeling never gets old!

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

To Nick: so the current 997 is just a tweaked 996, do I get you right? So I wonder why almost 80% of the parts of the 997 CS are different compared to the 996 Carrera 2. Even the engine, which is based on the M96 design, has almost no part in common with the "old" M96 engine.

RC you recall when they told us 80% of the 2002 996 was different from the 2001? I thought you would be on that game.

The base 997 has the same performance as the base 996, different headlights and minor cabin changes. They can claim once again 80% different parts but if it looks and walks like a duck, it is duck. Porsche is a master of disguise.

For those of you that believe kids go crazy over Porsche's, drive one in S. CA. Kids here would not give it a second look. It is commonplace a ubiquitous commondity.

Having owned a 2003 996 and now a 2006 997S-X51 I can say with certainty that the 997S is a dramatically improved automobile - better motor, much better gear box, better suspension, much improved interior, better lighting (and I don't mean aesthetics), less rattles creaks and groans, better stereo, better seats. I'm sure I left something out but you get the picture. The 996 had issues. It was not a car I could love. Those issues have been addressed and I absolutely adore this 997S.

Is that a Club Coupe, Aerosmith?

Quote:
    AeroSmith said:
    Having owned a 2003 996 and now a 2006 997S-X51 I can say with certainty that the 997S is a dramatically improved automobile - better motor, much better gear box, better suspension, much improved interior, better lighting (and I don't mean aesthetics), less rattles creaks and groans, better stereo, better seats. I'm sure I left something out but you get the picture. The 996 had issues. It was not a car I could love. Those issues have been addressed and I absolutely adore this 997S.

AWESOME!

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    ...'cause it seems like sportscar nuts are a small and endangered species among any adults w/bucks....

So if you haven't yet, start making new ones right now until we're off World Wildlife Fund's list.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 2/14/19 1:26 AM
    watt
    330942 2045
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 2/16/19 2:13 AM
    Pilot

217876 1114
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 2/15/19 11:05 AM
    RCA
    145825 2579
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/17/19 6:10 PM
    SportCarGroup
    60575 798
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 2/16/19 9:52 AM
    AP911
    16176 148
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14654 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 2/16/19 3:33 PM
    the-missile
    9967 126
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/16/19 10:23 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    3037 59
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    486832 4255
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/29/19 10:07 PM
    nberry
    421975 5220
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    317375 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    286562 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 2/14/19 7:29 PM
    WhoopsyM
    280378 2759
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/30/19 3:10 AM
    ha
    219108 2777
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    195546 1789
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/17/19 5:58 PM
    the-missile
    191354 3354
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    157685 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144588 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112994 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107904 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 2/17/19 9:17 AM
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo
    98817 1367
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68819 673
    Others Tesla Roadster 2/13/19 8:40 AM
    RCA
    57212 1723
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    48391 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43565 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    43121 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40838 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 12/4/18 3:17 PM
    BiTurbo
    40601 650
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 2/14/19 1:44 PM
    RCA
    40239 387
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/13/18 2:27 PM
    RCA
    39192 804
    269 items found, displaying 1 to 30.