Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    FROM AMS:


    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    holy crap! gorgeous!!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    holy crap! gorgeous!!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Easily.

    And maybe I'm just dumb, which I think is the case, but do I not see turbos?

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Easily.

    And maybe I'm just dumb, which I think is the case, but do I not see turbos?

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    awesome engine!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    awesome engine!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily



    I'm thinking it could too. 600hp is still an impressive number, but an even higher number should be achievable without sacrificing reliability.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily



    I'm thinking it could too. 600hp is still an impressive number, but an even higher number should be achievable without sacrificing reliability.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily



    They say it does MORE than 600hp. If you realize the trouble even two-ton Mercs have with the 65's torque and power output, who in their right mind would want another 150hp?
    That can be left over for the next McLaren-MB supercar!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily



    They say it does MORE than 600hp. If you realize the trouble even two-ton Mercs have with the 65's torque and power output, who in their right mind would want another 150hp?
    That can be left over for the next McLaren-MB supercar!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Will this engine replace the current 6.5L V12 Bi-Turbo currently used in the SL65/S65? While the NA version replaces the Supercharged V8 in the E55/SL55/etc. ?

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Will this engine replace the current 6.5L V12 Bi-Turbo currently used in the SL65/S65? While the NA version replaces the Supercharged V8 in the E55/SL55/etc. ?

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily



    They say it does MORE than 600hp. If you realize the trouble even two-ton Mercs have with the 65's torque and power output, who in their right mind would want another 150hp?
    That can be left over for the next McLaren-MB supercar!



    When AMG first developed the engine for the S, SL, and CL65, it was producing about 1200Nm of torque I think. The transmission couldn't handle all that torque, so it was brought down to 'only' 1000Nm.
    The huge amounts of torque produced even by the 55 and 600 series cars has been the reason that we havn't seen the new 7-speed automatic for these models, it just can't handle all that torque.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    That is a very mild increase in performance over the n/a version (510hp and 630nm). I bet it could make another 150hp and 200Nm easily



    They say it does MORE than 600hp. If you realize the trouble even two-ton Mercs have with the 65's torque and power output, who in their right mind would want another 150hp?
    That can be left over for the next McLaren-MB supercar!



    When AMG first developed the engine for the S, SL, and CL65, it was producing about 1200Nm of torque I think. The transmission couldn't handle all that torque, so it was brought down to 'only' 1000Nm.
    The huge amounts of torque produced even by the 55 and 600 series cars has been the reason that we havn't seen the new 7-speed automatic for these models, it just can't handle all that torque.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Will this engine replace the current 6.5L V12 Bi-Turbo currently used in the SL65/S65? While the NA version replaces the Supercharged V8 in the E55/SL55/etc. ?


    That's a good question, I never thought of that.
    As far as I know, the engines in the 65 cars will stay for another few years, but we'll see power increased to 630-650hp.
    That's just speculation though, I have no way of confirming it.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Danny G said:
    Will this engine replace the current 6.5L V12 Bi-Turbo currently used in the SL65/S65? While the NA version replaces the Supercharged V8 in the E55/SL55/etc. ?


    That's a good question, I never thought of that.
    As far as I know, the engines in the 65 cars will stay for another few years, but we'll see power increased to 630-650hp.
    That's just speculation though, I have no way of confirming it.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    DamienL said:
    ...
    When AMG first developed the engine for the S, SL, and CL65, it was producing about 1200Nm of torque I think. The transmission couldn't handle all that torque, so it was brought down to 'only' 1000Nm.
    The huge amounts of torque produced even by the 55 and 600 series cars has been the reason that we havn't seen the new 7-speed automatic for these models, it just can't handle all that torque.



    Actually Brabus was first to present a modified V12 with more than 1000Nm, Mercedes technicians initially said that this would be too much for the engine block, not to mention the gearbox. They somehow found a way to come up with that numbers, but I am just wondering if this really extends the car's character...

    The above shown picture is the n/a-V8, which is mentioned in the first part of the article.

    The two V8 engines are said to replace the current ones, a downside on the 3valve/cylinder-engines is their comparably low top-end output. That's one reason they have to run these torque numbers!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    DamienL said:
    ...
    When AMG first developed the engine for the S, SL, and CL65, it was producing about 1200Nm of torque I think. The transmission couldn't handle all that torque, so it was brought down to 'only' 1000Nm.
    The huge amounts of torque produced even by the 55 and 600 series cars has been the reason that we havn't seen the new 7-speed automatic for these models, it just can't handle all that torque.



    Actually Brabus was first to present a modified V12 with more than 1000Nm, Mercedes technicians initially said that this would be too much for the engine block, not to mention the gearbox. They somehow found a way to come up with that numbers, but I am just wondering if this really extends the car's character...

    The above shown picture is the n/a-V8, which is mentioned in the first part of the article.

    The two V8 engines are said to replace the current ones, a downside on the 3valve/cylinder-engines is their comparably low top-end output. That's one reason they have to run these torque numbers!

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    The above shown picture is the n/a-V8, which is mentioned in the first part of the article.




    Indeed, here's a better picture:

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    The above shown picture is the n/a-V8, which is mentioned in the first part of the article.




    Indeed, here's a better picture:

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    This sounds like an awesome engine, can't wait to hear it, from GFC:

    "Designer engine sound adds to the power experience

    Customers expect a new AMG high-performance engine to possess a characteristic and throaty sound. The primary aim of the technicians was also to create a synthesis of palpable dynamism and the long-distance comfort typical of a Mercedes. During acceleration the driver experiences the emotional sound of the fast-running engine and the exceptional power of the naturally aspirated eight-cylinder. At the same time this powerpack must for instance exhibit the smooth running characteristics and effortless progress required when covering long motorway distances. During this work the specialists at AMG were at pains to avoid disturbing noises and emphasise the pleasant frequencies which are typical of a sports car. At the same time it was important to comply with all the relevant regulations - for example when measuring drive-by noise. These varying requirements were a major challenge for the engineers and technicians at Mercedes-AMG GmbH, and they passed the test with flying colours - the results are well worth hearing.


    Research in the acoustics laboratory and during test drives

    Complex test series both in the acoustics laboratory and during vehicle trials led to a completely newly designed, twin-pipe exhaust system with pipe cross-sections and silencer volumes precisely suited to the engine displacement. Depending on the vehicle model, not only the routing of the pipes and the position and size of the rear silencers, but also the location of the catalytic converters and oxygen sensors had to be defined. The two oval, chrome twin tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system are not only a striking visual characteristic - the dynamic AMG V8 exhaust note instantly tells the knowledgeable person that this is a genuine AMG.


    Close attention was also paid to the intake noise. The aim was to create a sporty but in no way irritating sound for the AMG eight-cylinder. To this end various components were used during the development phase. When designing the dual-flow intake system, numerous variations of intake ducts, air filters and intake noise dampers were experimented with before the final result was achieved."

    More details and pictures here:
    New AMG 6.3 Liter V8 Engine - In Detail

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    This sounds like an awesome engine, can't wait to hear it, from GFC:

    "Designer engine sound adds to the power experience

    Customers expect a new AMG high-performance engine to possess a characteristic and throaty sound. The primary aim of the technicians was also to create a synthesis of palpable dynamism and the long-distance comfort typical of a Mercedes. During acceleration the driver experiences the emotional sound of the fast-running engine and the exceptional power of the naturally aspirated eight-cylinder. At the same time this powerpack must for instance exhibit the smooth running characteristics and effortless progress required when covering long motorway distances. During this work the specialists at AMG were at pains to avoid disturbing noises and emphasise the pleasant frequencies which are typical of a sports car. At the same time it was important to comply with all the relevant regulations - for example when measuring drive-by noise. These varying requirements were a major challenge for the engineers and technicians at Mercedes-AMG GmbH, and they passed the test with flying colours - the results are well worth hearing.


    Research in the acoustics laboratory and during test drives

    Complex test series both in the acoustics laboratory and during vehicle trials led to a completely newly designed, twin-pipe exhaust system with pipe cross-sections and silencer volumes precisely suited to the engine displacement. Depending on the vehicle model, not only the routing of the pipes and the position and size of the rear silencers, but also the location of the catalytic converters and oxygen sensors had to be defined. The two oval, chrome twin tailpipes of the AMG sports exhaust system are not only a striking visual characteristic - the dynamic AMG V8 exhaust note instantly tells the knowledgeable person that this is a genuine AMG.


    Close attention was also paid to the intake noise. The aim was to create a sporty but in no way irritating sound for the AMG eight-cylinder. To this end various components were used during the development phase. When designing the dual-flow intake system, numerous variations of intake ducts, air filters and intake noise dampers were experimented with before the final result was achieved."

    More details and pictures here:
    New AMG 6.3 Liter V8 Engine - In Detail

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Here is some news about the v8 Mercedes engine.
    /uploads/127425-mercedes.jpg

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Here is some news about the v8 Mercedes engine.
    /uploads/127425-mercedes.jpg

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

    Actually Brabus was first to present a modified V12 with more than 1000Nm, Mercedes technicians initially said that this would be too much for the engine block, not to mention the gearbox. They somehow found a way to come up with that numbers, but I am just wondering if this really extends the car's character...



    I see what you're saying about the car's character. I seem to hear from those who have driven the 65 cars that they don't offer a lot more than the 55 cars until pretty high speeds. The SL 55 is a great gran turismo, but it's no sports car. It would be interesting to see how much better, if any, the experience of the 65 would be.

    Re: AMG 6.0L V8 Bi-Turbo 600HP/800NM

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:

    Actually Brabus was first to present a modified V12 with more than 1000Nm, Mercedes technicians initially said that this would be too much for the engine block, not to mention the gearbox. They somehow found a way to come up with that numbers, but I am just wondering if this really extends the car's character...



    I see what you're saying about the car's character. I seem to hear from those who have driven the 65 cars that they don't offer a lot more than the 55 cars until pretty high speeds. The SL 55 is a great gran turismo, but it's no sports car. It would be interesting to see how much better, if any, the experience of the 65 would be.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/15/17 7:39 PM
    Wonderbar
    255815 1620
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/15/17 11:03 PM
    AP911
    235244 3738
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/15/17 7:26 PM
    The farmer
    79750 1265
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 12/12/17 12:52 PM
    RCA
    60348 637
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 12/15/17 8:14 PM
    Targa Tim
    36276 437
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23159 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    13064 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5521 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    539810 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 12/15/17 7:29 PM
    pmarkow
    448494 5806
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    441346 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    250571 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/29/17 1:09 PM
    DJM48
    243286 2520
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1
     
     
     
     
     
    229540 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/27/17 12:09 PM
    the-missile
    208541 2479
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173841 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 12/15/17 1:44 PM
    RCA
    160176 1072
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    159659 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 12/15/17 11:32 AM
    RCA
    135710 1190
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 12/15/17 6:13 PM
    Topspeed
    134906 2829
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122789 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo
     
     
     
     
     
    106730 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 12/4/17 11:20 PM
    Wonderbar
    106685 1283
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105748 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/12/17 10:39 AM
    Lars997M
    103084 1837
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    83576 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    80449 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    77602 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    65188 247
    Porsche OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014 3/2/17 4:22 PM
    RCA
    62819 163
    377 items found, displaying 1 to 30.