Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    GT-R lies revealed

    This testing seems to support Horst von Saurma's contention that the GT-R is a 7:5x car as well

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Quote:
    eclou said:
    GT-R lies revealed

    This testing seems to support Horst von Saurma's contention that the GT-R is a 7:5x car as well



    thread already exists

    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=478263&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Nice find!

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Just what I thought!

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    makes sense

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Good article, but I thought the GTR was 200Kgs heavier than the 911 Turbo not 20Kgs. Must be a misprint.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    And it gets juicier: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../71017001/1065 Quote: But Mizuno suggested the GT-R could get anywhere from 7:44 on up, with most laps coming in between 7:55 and 7:58.

    In other words, GT-R's chief engineer has confirmed that the much publicized 7:29 is a dream for a stock GT-R. I have nothing against Nissan, and in fact companies are known to "optimize" their cars for better ring times, but to claim 20 seconds from the truth is to cross the line into cheating. It's a shameful act on Nissan's part; they should have known someone is going to expose them.

    That such a heavy (near 4000 lbs!) and ugly car, with specific warranty policy prohibiting racing (!), from an average car company, is now listed near the top of the famed Nurburgring's time list is sad indeed. Unfortunately it will never go away and will remain a permanent blemish that I'll have to put up with every time I look at this list. http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?vie...ID=0&tID=10073

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Looks like the article is gone, or the link is down. I wonder if it was pulled?

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Quote:
    bkscott said:
    Looks like the article is gone, or the link is down. I wonder if it was pulled?



    Try this link

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    wow! very interesting eh?

    Just wondering - Where's the disconnect between Chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno & Nissan? What I mean is - If Nissan said the car does 7:2_ what's the explaination for Mizuno's quote saying it's a 7:5_ car? Is there any explaination on why Nissan said it does X but their chief engineer saying it really does Y? 7:20's vs 7:50's quite a difference.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring times

    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    wow! very interesting eh?

    Just wondering - Where's the disconnect between Chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno & Nissan? What I mean is - If Nissan said the car does 7:2_ what's the explaination for Mizuno's quote saying it's a 7:5_ car? Is there any explaination on why Nissan said it does X but their chief engineer saying it really does Y? 7:20's vs 7:50's quite a difference.



    There's a German proverb which could be roughly translated as: "Why should I worry today about the dumb things I said yesterday".

    Maybe there's a similar Japanese proverb and Nissan is "quietly" dissociating itself from the earlier claims. The journalist who wrote the piece linked to above may have known enough about the importance of "saving face" not to have brought up the subject of the times claimed earlier. He could hardly have been completely ignorant of them.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57410&vf=12

    Nissan say: We didn't cheat with GT-R 'Ring time

    Nissan defends legitimacy of GT-R supercar's record lap time against suspicions raised by rival Porsche. By ANDREW HEASLEY in Paris.

    Nissan has hit back at suspicions raised by Porsche this week that the record Nurburgring lap time set by the GT-R supercar was achieved in anything other than a standard showroom-specification car.

    The matter has reached top brass at Nissan, with its European spokesman at the Paris motor show today confirming the matter has gone ''quite high'' up in the company.

    A senior Porsche engineer, August Achleitner, who supervises the development of all 911 sports cars, sparked controversy when he told Australian journalists at the launch of the new 911 Targa in Verona, Italy, this week that they were unable to replicate the record 7 minute 29 second lap time that Nissan claimed the GT-R set in April.

    In the hands of a Porsche chassis engineer, the GT-R was 20 seconds slower than a 911 GT2 and 16 seconds slower than a Porsche 911 Turbo.

    Achleitner questioned whether the GT-R was running a standard set-up on road tyres or perhaps something more track-oriented.

    "Quite simply we're not going to get into a war of words with Porsche," said Nissan's European spokesman Neil Reeve. "The final word from us is that it was done on absolutely standard tyres which are available to customers in the showroom.They're not trick tyres - absolutely standard tyres, normal road tyres.

    "The GT-R comes with Bridgestone and Goodyear (Dunlop). One tyre gives slightly better times around the 'Ring.

    "We did it on Dunlop. They're available with the car," he said.

    He was at a loss to explain the disparity over the lap time differences.

    "I don't know, honestly I can't explain. I don't think it's for us to explain how they didn't match our time," Mr Reeve said.

    "We absolutely maintain (that) Tochio Suzuki - the chief test driver on the GT-R program pounded thousands of laps - he got to know every inch of Nurburgring (circuit) and how the car performs on the Nurburgring and hence set that fabulous lap. More than that, I can't speculate. I can't explain why they couldn't match the time."

    "We maintain that ... nothing special was done to the car."

    He conceded that the controversy might play on the minds of potential GT-R buyers. Fast lap times of the famous 21-kilometre German circuit are increasingy being used by car companies for bragging rights over performance and engineering prowess.

    "The people who'd buy a GT-R or 911 Turbo are not the type of people to make a purchase like that lightly. They going to do an incredible amount of research, they're going to read every single road test that's available in every magazine which is on the internet and they're going to draw their own conclusion. Will it put doubt in their mind? They might find it surprising. In our experience in Europe, the GT-R has widely matched, at least, if not beaten, the 911 Turbo on various track tests. They can draw their own conclusions.

    "We think its performance speaks for itself,'' he said.

    Reeve wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch for the world to see.

    "We're considering our options. We're not saying more than that," he said.

    "This (Porsche's questioning of Nissan's claim) happened two days ago, it was a surprising thing to read in the press, it's important.

    "But let's not blow it out of all proportion. We're not crying about it. We're not going to sook about it.

    "I'm cheeky enough to say it's flattering that Porsche have bought themselves a GT-R and flown it to Germany, they want to try it. I guess that's some kind of stamp of approval.

    "It's great to have the competition. We're absolutely proud of the GT-R. It's a fabulous sports car, really epic.

    "The level of performance that it delivers is really so impressive for the price it's positioned at," he said.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    AUM said:
    http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=57410&vf=12

    Nissan say: We didn't cheat with GT-R 'Ring time

    Nissan defends legitimacy of GT-R supercar's record lap time against suspicions raised by rival Porsche. By ANDREW HEASLEY in Paris.

    Nissan has hit back at suspicions raised by Porsche this week that the record Nurburgring lap time set by the GT-R supercar was achieved in anything other than a standard showroom-specification car.

    The matter has reached top brass at Nissan, with its European spokesman at the Paris motor show today confirming the matter has gone ''quite high'' up in the company.

    A senior Porsche engineer, August Achleitner, who supervises the development of all 911 sports cars, sparked controversy when he told Australian journalists at the launch of the new 911 Targa in Verona, Italy, this week that they were unable to replicate the record 7 minute 29 second lap time that Nissan claimed the GT-R set in April.

    In the hands of a Porsche chassis engineer, the GT-R was 20 seconds slower than a 911 GT2 and 16 seconds slower than a Porsche 911 Turbo.

    Achleitner questioned whether the GT-R was running a standard set-up on road tyres or perhaps something more track-oriented.

    "Quite simply we're not going to get into a war of words with Porsche," said Nissan's European spokesman Neil Reeve. "The final word from us is that it was done on absolutely standard tyres which are available to customers in the showroom.They're not trick tyres - absolutely standard tyres, normal road tyres.

    "The GT-R comes with Bridgestone and Goodyear (Dunlop). One tyre gives slightly better times around the 'Ring.

    "We did it on Dunlop. They're available with the car," he said.

    He was at a loss to explain the disparity over the lap time differences.

    "I don't know, honestly I can't explain. I don't think it's for us to explain how they didn't match our time," Mr Reeve said.

    "We absolutely maintain (that) Tochio Suzuki - the chief test driver on the GT-R program pounded thousands of laps - he got to know every inch of Nurburgring (circuit) and how the car performs on the Nurburgring and hence set that fabulous lap. More than that, I can't speculate. I can't explain why they couldn't match the time."

    "We maintain that ... nothing special was done to the car."

    He conceded that the controversy might play on the minds of potential GT-R buyers. Fast lap times of the famous 21-kilometre German circuit are increasingy being used by car companies for bragging rights over performance and engineering prowess.

    "The people who'd buy a GT-R or 911 Turbo are not the type of people to make a purchase like that lightly. They going to do an incredible amount of research, they're going to read every single road test that's available in every magazine which is on the internet and they're going to draw their own conclusion. Will it put doubt in their mind? They might find it surprising. In our experience in Europe, the GT-R has widely matched, at least, if not beaten, the 911 Turbo on various track tests. They can draw their own conclusions.

    "We think its performance speaks for itself,'' he said.

    Reeve wouldn't rule out the possibility of a rematch for the world to see.

    "We're considering our options. We're not saying more than that," he said.

    "This (Porsche's questioning of Nissan's claim) happened two days ago, it was a surprising thing to read in the press, it's important.

    "But let's not blow it out of all proportion. We're not crying about it. We're not going to sook about it.

    "I'm cheeky enough to say it's flattering that Porsche have bought themselves a GT-R and flown it to Germany, they want to try it. I guess that's some kind of stamp of approval.

    "It's great to have the competition. We're absolutely proud of the GT-R. It's a fabulous sports car, really epic.

    "The level of performance that it delivers is really so impressive for the price it's positioned at," he said.




    what did you expect them to say?

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Terms of warranty for US GT-R owners. "Racing" voids the warranty.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    I think that language is pretty standard re warranties. Porsche says about the same thing.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Also, disobeying the recommended service intervals voids the warranty. Now, what is the recommended service interval...?

    If I recall correctly, they ask for a service every 3000km of "high-performance" driving. Can you believe that

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    I think the farcical thing here is the "VDC off" restriction.. This is like Porsche saying that your warranty is void if you take PSM off.
    Also LC need that VDC off to get 0-100 times below 4.1secs (according to GTR owners). This smells foul from a thousand miles away..

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    I thought Porsche says that if you use launch control too much on the GT2 then it voids your warranty?!

    I pretty sure Ferrari do this too.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    I thought Porsche says that if you use launch control too much on the GT2 then it voids your warranty?!

    I pretty sure Ferrari do this too.



    Based on my memory, this is not the case

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Terms of warranty for US GT-R owners. "Racing" voids the warranty.



    GTR stands for Gran Turismo Racing, but you're not allowed to race in it, then what exactly is this car ? a beefed up Infiniti G35 with 4WD ?

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    eclou said:


    what did you expect them to say?



    +1

    Really... Like a little kid who throws a ball through a window. Deny, deny, deny.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    BiTurbo said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Terms of warranty for US GT-R owners. "Racing" voids the warranty.



    GTR stands for Gran Turismo Racing, but you're not allowed to race in it, then what exactly is this car ? a beefed up Infiniti G35 with 4WD ?



    Well, in fact, yes it is . It's based on the G35 I believe (or some other basic model).

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:
    what did you expect them to say?


    +1
    Really... Like a little kid who throws a ball through a window. Deny, deny, deny.



    Porsche would do the same.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Ala Clinton.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    TT Surgeon said:
    Ala Clinton.



    except that Nissan expected us to be the ones inhaling...

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    BiTurbo said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Terms of warranty for US GT-R owners. "Racing" voids the warranty.





    GTR stands for Gran Turismo Racing, but you're not allowed to race in it, then what exactly is this car ? a beefed up Infiniti G35 with 4WD ?



    Well, in fact, yes it is . It's based on the G35 I believe (or some other basic model).






    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Isn't it irrelevant ? The NIssan has beaten the 997tt on every track that every magazine has tested it on,I think Porsche are actually embarrassing themselves with this.Every road test has preferred the gtr to the 997tt,surely Porsche should be addressing this issue by improving the 997tt and not sulking about it.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    franki68 said:
    Isn't it irrelevant ? The NIssan has beaten the 997tt on every track that every magazine has tested it on,I think Porsche are actually embarrassing themselves with this.Every road test has preferred the gtr to the 997tt,surely Porsche should be addressing this issue by improving the 997tt and not sulking about it.



    Porsche ? embarrassing ? No kidding

    Starting from 2009

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    184692 said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    eclou said:
    what did you expect them to say?


    +1
    Really... Like a little kid who throws a ball through a window. Deny, deny, deny.



    Porsche would do the same.



    Porsche wouldn't have done something that stupid in the first place.

    Re: Porsche accuses Nissan of cheating N-Ring time

    Quote:
    franki68 said:
    Isn't it irrelevant ? The NIssan has beaten the 997tt on every track that every magazine has tested it on,I think Porsche are actually embarrassing themselves with this.Every road test has preferred the gtr to the 997tt,surely Porsche should be addressing this issue by improving the 997tt and not sulking about it.



    This is an inconvenient truth that some people prefer to ignore: The GTR laps faster than the Turbo in all independent tests.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 2/14/19 1:26 AM
    watt
    330789 2045
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 2/15/19 3:11 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    217530 1113
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 2/15/19 11:05 AM
    RCA
    145353 2579
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 2/15/19 11:10 AM
    RCA
    59944 793
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 2/15/19 10:44 PM
    vantagesc
    16036 147
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14626 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 2/16/19 12:23 AM
    WhoopsyM
    9636 123
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/15/19 8:48 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    2821 57
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    486719 4255
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/29/19 10:07 PM
    nberry
    421594 5220
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    316680 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    286468 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 2/14/19 7:29 PM
    WhoopsyM
    280186 2759
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/30/19 3:10 AM
    ha
    218701 2777
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    195474 1789
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 2/15/19 10:11 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    190925 3350
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    157513 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144553 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112956 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107869 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 2/15/19 9:29 PM
    CGX car nut
    98462 1365
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68772 673
    Others Tesla Roadster 2/13/19 8:40 AM
    RCA
    57119 1723
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    48354 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43543 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    43094 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40818 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 12/4/18 3:17 PM
    BiTurbo
    40573 650
    AMG Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 2/14/19 1:44 PM
    RCA
    40157 387
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/13/18 2:27 PM
    RCA
    39148 804
    268 items found, displaying 1 to 30.