racerx:

The difference between (depressing a clutch and moving a lever) vs (clicking a paddle)  is void of skill level differences. We are not talking double clutching with GT3's are we?Smiley

On the contrary, depressing the clutch and moving the lever is the easy part, the challenge is to desengaging the clutch while applying the maximum brake into the corner and throttle to match revs all at the same time, or coordinating succesive upshifts as fast as posible in the gear transitions while trying to be smooth as possible... everyone would agree that its all much different than simply fliping a paddle in a secuential or even worse in lifeless torque converter. And while I'm no expert at manual shifting (liking manual gearboxes in sportcars doesn't mean you are the best at it, and those that like secuentials doesn't mean that they can't drive a manual either), one doesn't need to be to appreciate the involvement it brings to the driving experience and the greater challenge it poses to the driver to try to get better at it, and the reward when you get that shift just as you wanted it.

Thats not to say that everyone should like that and drive a manual, each should go with what HE likes, but to say that manuals are ridiculous or that they don't make sense because its technology thats been around for years (so has Porsche's icon the rear engined 911) is quite the opposite of reality. Like I always said, manuals will always have a place in recreational sportcar vehicles, as do automatic gearboxes, each should choose which make him happier. Personally on a familiy car intended for "transport" I may go for an auto, on a sporcar intended for "driving" always a manual.

I don't know anyone personally that double clutches in cars with modern sincros, thats a whole different story.

--