Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Oh boy...I'm fed up with rumors

Here's the newest one (apparently after "somebody" saw my post, there have been some discussions about the rumored introduction of the Turbo S): Turbo S is coming, final power figure still unknown, not before MY 2008.
    This "new" source claims that somebody must have mistakenly confused the CAYENNE Turbo S (which is rumored to be due early next year with an engine output of aprox. 520 HP) with the 997 Turbo S and this is how the whole rumor started a while ago.

Well: I hope this isn't true because I started to be really disappointed.
    Maybe I should stick with a Turbo or even a GT3 instead.

Again: I'm sorry, I was thinking a few hours about if I should pass on this "new" rumor to you but I think it is only fair to provide ANY kind of rumor/information which is somehow somewhere close to the possible truth.

As I'm not working for Porsche, this is like a puzzle, you have to collect tiny parts and put them together in a way that they make sense and create a picture.

I'm still pretty confident that the Turbo S is coming next year but again, I'm completely confused now too (and maybe this is the strategy behind all those semi-official rumors).

Re: Oh boy...I'm fed up with rumors

In my view, if you have any rumors, just post it. If you're wrong, so what, its a rumor. If you're right, then you look like an insider. Anyway a rumor is just a rumor, especially on the internet.

RC,
    I'm really glad you decided to report back. I wouldn't care if the information changed over and over again. It's a lot more useful then getting nothing. On your last info I put down a second deposit (Turbo cab 1st) for the Turbo S cab just in case it was going to be launched along side the Turbo cab (like the rest of the 997s) and not like the 996 Turbo cab / Turbo S cab launch. Even if it's not going to happen that way according to your latest info. at least I have the dealers first Turbo S cab and may decide to trade the Turbo cab when the Turbo S cab comes out. (I think it would be too difficult for me to wait for the S if I can get a Turbo cab a year prior)

Any and all info you share and can share in the future is greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

thank for sharing, i think you the right thing after all that's the purpose of the forums, to share information.
    as long we make the distiction between news and rumours, everybody should share everything.
    1000 thanks for all shared info and pics, highly apreciatted!!

Rumors about Porsche's plans are at the very least entertaining. I think we all look forward to such postings from you. The Cayenne Turbo S does make some sense in the scheme of things at this point in time.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Here's the newest one (apparently after "somebody" saw my post, there have been some discussions about the rumored introduction of the Turbo S): Turbo S is coming, final power figure still unknown, not before MY 2008.
    This "new" source claims that somebody must have mistakenly confused the CAYENNE Turbo S (which is rumored to be due early next year with an engine output of aprox. 520 HP) with the 997 Turbo S and this is how the whole rumor started a while ago.

Well: I hope this isn't true because I started to be really disappointed.
    Maybe I should stick with a Turbo or even a GT3 instead.

Again: I'm sorry, I was thinking a few hours about if I should pass on this "new" rumor to you but I think it is only fair to provide ANY kind of rumor/information which is somehow somewhere close to the possible truth.

As I'm not working for Porsche, this is like a puzzle, you have to collect tiny parts and put them together in a way that they make sense and create a picture.

I'm still pretty confident that the Turbo S is coming next year but again, I'm completely confused now too (and maybe this is the strategy behind all those semi-official rumors).

Any news is good news with regards to the new TT/TTS. A constant flow of information retains the pleasure of making plans and thinking through alternative options

Whatever information you have is helpful. I know that rumors come from many different places and are not always correct.

I'm glad to be kept up to date with all the latest rumors, and even if they're wrong, at least they gave us something to talk and tink about.

There's no need to be sorry, just keep passing the information on.

I too hope that we'll see the 997TTS before 2008.

no problem Christian ...
    thanks for your work !

Better than nothing is right on...

Did you hear about the new Carrera GT - supposed to have nearly 900 hp with a 0-60 of 3 seconds - it's also supposed to get 58 miles a gallon in the CITY....

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Did you hear about the new Carrera GT - supposed to have nearly 900 hp with a 0-60 of 3 seconds - it's also supposed to get 58 miles a gallon in the CITY....

Don't mess with RC. You'll get zapped!

no regrets RC,

i believe much more in your "analysis" than some policy-wonk interested in self-preserving their internal marketing's "strategic development plan"...

keep up the good work RC!!

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

lol

You do a great job of presenting what information you can get from your sources. Thank you for your efforts!

I think that Porsche has a few new tricks coming out for the 997TT that are beyond just a horsepower increase over the 996TT.

A new digital management system with sensors on three axis
    and a centrally mounted gyroscope is already being tested by
    one team in the ALMS series. The system senses weight, turn in,traction, gforce, throttle position speed, inertia,etc.. It optimizes power to the wheels and suspension settings individualy and also interfaces with the brakes. The goal being to make the car corner faster, not to save it from driver error.

Essentially its a very advanced combined version of PSM, PASM and Traction Control. Unlike current electronic nanny systems, Its purpose is to pro-actively enhance performance instead of being a back up safety system for driver error.

Combined with a DSG transmission, it would give a 4wd Porsche 997TT a terrific advantage, even over other cars with greater hp and less weight.

Ferrari has E diff and their Manetino system, the Porsche system is probably another generation or two ahead of that
    and will actively help maximize performance.

My dealer just sent me a copy of page 24 in September Motor Trend. It contradicts AutoWeek;

PORSCHE WILL unveil the 997-generation 911 Turbo at the 2006 Paris auto show with more than 500 horsepower under the hood, the first time the Turbo's engine has breached that level. It's engine is a development of the current 3.6 - liter flat six turbomotor, which has a different bore and stroke then the Carrera's 3.6 and has proven its strength with 485 horses in the GT2.
    The new 911 Turbo is based on the wide body shell of the 997 Carrera 4S but with a full aero kit to keep the car stable at 200mph and to keep the mighty engine cool on long ascents in hot conditions.
    A Porsche engineer says the engine is reliable at 700 horsepower, but cooling becomes a problem at those outputs and the transmission can't cope. He insists Porsche doesn't need to lead the power race over AMG, but he also indicates the new Turbo will be as fast around a track as hardcore machines like the Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo and as civilized in town as a Mercedes SL65.........................(more info but too much to type)
    Three years or more into the model cycle, Porsche will launch the Turbo S. A few months efore the Turbo launch, Porsche will release the naturally aspirated GT3 with 400 horses or so......etc. etc.

Autoweek says Geneva, MotorTrend says Paris. Autoweek says the Turbo first then the GT3. MotorTrend has it the other way around. I believe Autoweek says a more Believable 480 hp, Motortrend says "more than 500" It will be interesting to see who's right.

OMG after reading the last few posts, I'm so looking forward to the new 997 turbo. ***Puts 996 on sale on eBay.

Keep them coming RC. Everyone appreciates your efforts, and they are always caveated with the rumour label in any case

the way things look...the Porsche 997 TT will be unveiled in March 2006 at Geneva.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    My dealer just sent me a copy of page 24 in September Motor Trend. It contradicts AutoWeek;

PORSCHE WILL unveil the 997-generation 911 Turbo at the 2006 Paris auto show with more than 500 horsepower under the hood, the first time the Turbo's engine has breached that level. It's engine is a development of the current 3.6 - liter flat six turbomotor, which has a different bore and stroke then the Carrera's 3.6 and has proven its strength with 485 horses in the GT2.
    The new 911 Turbo is based on the wide body shell of the 997 Carrera 4S but with a full aero kit to keep the car stable at 200mph and to keep the mighty engine cool on long ascents in hot conditions.
    A Porsche engineer says the engine is reliable at 700 horsepower, but cooling becomes a problem at those outputs and the transmission can't cope. He insists Porsche doesn't need to lead the power race over AMG, but he also indicates the new Turbo will be as fast around a track as hardcore machines like the Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo and as civilized in town as a Mercedes SL65.........................(more info but too much to type)
    Three years or more into the model cycle, Porsche will launch the Turbo S. A few months efore the Turbo launch, Porsche will release the naturally aspirated GT3 with 400 horses or so......etc. etc.

Autoweek says Geneva, MotorTrend says Paris. Autoweek says the Turbo first then the GT3. MotorTrend has it the other way around. I believe Autoweek says a more Believable 480 hp, Motortrend says "more than 500" It will be interesting to see who's right.

Stradale,

I noted the same contradiction myself. I also find interesting the divergent "rumors" RC has heard, and it does make one (at least me) wonder how intentional (from Porsche) some of the contradictory info. might be, that is similar to counter-intelligence in the national security arena, just applied in a less critical (sports car manufacturing) setting.

I hope RC continues to publicize info. he thinks is of non-compromising (to its sources) and believable value.

And tell me when it will be worthwhile to make my plane reservations for March 2006 in Geneva. . . .

. . . .Otherwise, I'd rather go in February (powder skiing is better in Zermatt then).

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Isn't the Paris auto show on even years and Frankfurt on odd? If Motortrend says the intro is in Paris, that would be September 2006 intro, correct? I hope not. Geneva in March of 2006 is better.

Christian,no problem!

We are here to talk..and sometimes we can also go wrong..

If there isn't a Turbo S,for me is better,the GT3 will be "more" BEAST!

CIaoo

Keep 'em coming RC .. I love to read those 'rumours' while waiting ... makes it all a little bit more bearable

but its a blast that we can have access to these info from you even if some news are just rumors !

RC thanx for making such an excellent "job" on your expense just for the enthusiasm!!

And never worry about rumors!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/2/17 10:46 AM
    watt
    255373 1618
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/11/17 9:29 AM
    RCA
    230425 3658
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/11/17 9:28 AM
    Kobalt
    77562 1234
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 12/11/17 9:27 AM
    RCA
    58314 625
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 12/11/17 9:22 AM
    RCA
    33500 359
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/28/17 12:15 AM
    EnglishManInNY
    23029 332
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 12/1/17 7:24 PM
    crayphile
    12966 243
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5285 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    539191 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/22/17 10:44 AM
    Gnil
    447055 5791
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440973 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    250173 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/29/17 1:09 PM
    DJM48
    243061 2520
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

229277 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/27/17 12:09 PM
    the-missile
    208074 2479
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173469 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    159519 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

159243 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/17 3:35 PM
    Topspeed
    134548 1169
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/30/17 8:38 PM
    Mikla
    133831 2810
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122450 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

106608 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 12/4/17 11:20 PM
    Wonderbar
    106430 1283
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105389 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/9/17 12:46 PM
    RCA
    102471 1830
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    83303 765
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    80109 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    77278 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM