Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What are the difference between tip and PDK?

Can some body explain to me the benefit of PDK over tip.

Re: What are the difference between tip and PDK?

i try, but my english is not too good.

the tiptronic is a normal (old) automatic transmission with 5gears. it consumes around 5% of the engines power due to drivetrain loss in the tiptronic.

the PDK = porsche double clutch transmission is basicly a normal manual transmission, so there is no power loss compared to the tiptronic. BUT basicly this thing has TWO gearboxes. the first one is responsable for the 1s, 3rd and 5th gear and the second for the 2nd,4th and 6th gear. each of this "little" boxes has its own clutch.

imagine you are driving in first gear, so the clutch to the first gearbox is closed and gear one is selected while obviously the other clutch is opend. BUT there is alredy the second gear in the other box selected. so while you change gear from 1st to 2nd, the system just needs to open the first clutch and exactly in the same time the system closes the clutch to the second gearbox. so there is no pause during shifting, it is very fast and smooth.

so remember while you are driving in one gear the other box has already selected the next neede gear and both clutches are used at the same time, in a way, it is like a handshake.

i hope my description was understandable.

How Sequential Gearboxes Work <-- link

guy2 and sdy284, thank for the information.

do you think anyone will buy tip if PDK does not come out 1st year production?

Quote:
    BD 997 said:
    do you think anyone will buy tip if PDK does not come out 1st year production?

Yes. A lot of people don't really care about performance all that much and just want the newest toy to show off (just look at how many 996TTs there were with Tips). Once PDK gets here, it will be a different story, but as long as the Tiptronic is the only automatic option, there will be buyers for it.

Go to your audi dealership and drive an A3 DSG... amazing gear box. Exactly the same concept.

Ok, for upshifting I understand... one gearbox is in 3, the other in four... you drive in gear 3... what if you want to decelerate and select 2nd gear?
    -Joost-

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Ok, for upshifting I understand... one gearbox is in 3, the other in four... you drive in gear 3... what if you want to decelerate and select 2nd gear?
    -Joost-

That example is not quite right.
    On one shaft you always have gears 1,3,5 and the other shaft provides gearwheels 2,4,6. there is no difference for upshift or downshift, it is the same process.
    If you are in 3 the other shaft has 2,4,6 rotating for next gear. Which one is actually chosen depends on your selection. That particular gear is engaged, the others on the same shaft idle. The duble clutch allows the transition between shaft one and two.

Not sure if text explanation clarifies the concept. Maybe there is some animation somewhere on the next (Audi, VW??).

There's no question that PDK will eventually be a superior transmission. However, I would be leery to get one on its first year as there may be still bugs in it.

However efficient the PDK may be it will not be without losses. All transmissions, even manuals do have losses.

Up in the thread someone says that the Tip II loss is 5%. That may be true, and it is not a big loss. Actually, I'm told that the torque converter on the Tip II is only used in 1st gear. The transmission behaves like a manual from second up - a very efficient and very fast transmission, actually.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Actually, I'm told that the torque converter on the Tip II is only used in 1st gear. The transmission behaves like a manual from second up - a very efficient and very fast transmission, actually.

Perhaps what you mentioned could explain the slight jerkiness experience during gear shifts in the Slushbox.
    Anyone can confirm?

Anyone knows anything about the auto on SLR? It is supposedly a superfast supercar with an auto transmission and it is 5 gear I think. I owned the SLK 350 7G tronic and that gear box (1st year production) including the one in the CLS weren't very smooth. It had some jerkiness to it.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    There's no question that PDK will eventually be a superior transmission. However, I would be leery to get one on its first year as there may be still bugs in it.

However efficient the PDK may be it will not be without losses. All transmissions, even manuals do have losses.

Up in the thread someone says that the Tip II loss is 5%. That may be true, and it is not a big loss. Actually, I'm told that the torque converter on the Tip II is only used in 1st gear. The transmission behaves like a manual from second up - a very efficient and very fast transmission, actually.

Actually, when I drove the tipronic (supposedly 3rd generation) on the test drive, it amazed me as to how smooth it felt compared to the 7G tronic. The problem with the 7G was that sometimes, the box didn't know what gears to select. The 5 speed tiptronic on the Porsche feels solid and smooth even though it maybe an older technology compared to PDK. I am also wary about 1st year PDK deployment on all lineup on Porsche.

yah,

I think your explanation is great. Thank you! This clarifies some of the questions I had. However, one more is still in my head.

How does the system react when the driver wants to shift from one gear on the same shaft to another? For example, going from 6th to 4th directly?

Will the electronic have to go through the gear in between (in my example above this would be 5th) or is there another way allowing to 'jump' one gear?

TIA

Gregor

Thanks for the answers Yah? Gregors question is a good one... would not know how to solve that. Well, maybe it then acts like a normal gearbox.
    -Joost-

Quote:
    guy2 said:
    i try, but my english is not too good.

the tiptronic is a normal (old) automatic transmission with 5gears. it consumes around 5% of the engines power due to drivetrain loss in the tiptronic.

the PDK = porsche double clutch transmission is basicly a normal manual transmission, so there is no power loss compared to the tiptronic. BUT basicly this thing has TWO gearboxes. the first one is responsable for the 1s, 3rd and 5th gear and the second for the 2nd,4th and 6th gear. each of this "little" boxes has its own clutch.

imagine you are driving in first gear, so the clutch to the first gearbox is closed and gear one is selected while obviously the other clutch is opend. BUT there is alredy the second gear in the other box selected. so while you change gear from 1st to 2nd, the system just needs to open the first clutch and exactly in the same time the system closes the clutch to the second gearbox. so there is no pause during shifting, it is very fast and smooth.

so remember while you are driving in one gear the other box has already selected the next neede gear and both clutches are used at the same time, in a way, it is like a handshake.

i hope my description was understandable.

Very well and easy to understand put, well done .

Quote:
    Gregor said:
    yah,

I think your explanation is great. Thank you! This clarifies some of the questions I had. However, one more is still in my head.

How does the system react when the driver wants to shift from one gear on the same shaft to another? For example, going from 6th to 4th directly?

Will the electronic have to go through the gear in between (in my example above this would be 5th) or is there another way allowing to 'jump' one gear?

TIA

Gregor

You have to sequentially go through all the gears. You cannot "jump" two gears. (With paddles you couldn't select a particular gear anyway.)

Jumping gears is also not advised for normal manuals. For other reasons, but still.
    Pros always go through all the gears. You should watch a race driver when he gets from a straight line with top speed in 5th or 6th gear into a narrow curve with second gear. He switches down through all the gears in seconds with tip-toeing.

Quote:
    Gregor said:

TIA

Gregor

I believe PDK is sort of a sequential gearbox, which means that it has to go through all the gears in any case. Or in other words, you can't select a gear directly. You have to tip the selector twice to make it go from 4th to 2nd. No sure though.

Quote:
    Matt C said:
    Quote:
    Gregor said:

TIA

Gregor

I believe PDK is sort of a sequential gearbox, which means that it has to go through all the gears in any case. Or in other words, you can't select a gear directly. You have to tip the selector twice to make it go from 4th to 2nd. No sure though.

no, it is possible - except it won't upshift/downshift as quickly (or smoothly). would be comparable changing gears on a Ferrari F1 or BMW SMG transmission (which works on the same principle, but with only one clutch).

From Road & Track...
    -----------------------------------
    I've saved VW-Audi's Direct Shift Gearbox for last, as it's the newest (see our May 2004 Audi TT/BMW Z4 comparison) and also the most innovative. By the way, DSG also answers to the name of DualTronic; this, at its BorgWarner supplier.

DSG shifts offer essentially uninterrupted transmission of power (in feel, much like a conventional automatic). This is achieved by means of innovative twin-concentric clutches operating within what is otherwise a rather conventional gearbox.

Let's imagine that our Morgan model were DSG. (Please, stop laughing). With DSG, its input shaft consists of an inner shaft containing 1st and 3rd gears and an outer hollow shaft containing 2nd and 4th. The hollow shaft is linked to the outer clutch; the inner one, to the inner clutch.

When 1st gear is selected (by you or the computer), both the 1st- and 2nd-gear dog clutches are engaged. This would cause gearbox chaos but for action of the twin concentric clutches: With 1st gear selected, the inner clutch is engaged, but the outer one is disengaged. Thus, think of 2nd gear as being only pre-engaged.

Then comes the 1-2 shift, be it driver- or computer-initiated. It requires nothing more than disengagement of the inner clutch (freeing 1st gear) and engagement of the outer one (bringing 2nd into the transmission of power). That is, each of these gears is already locked to its appropriate input shaft, 1st to the inner one, 2nd to the hollow one.

Programmed logic identifies what happens next. If the car is accelerating, the 2-3 shift is preselected by locking 3rd gear to the inner shaft (after unlocking 1st), the inner twin-clutch still disengaged. If computer logic identifies deceleration, 1st gear gets locked in preselection of a 2-1 downshift. The appropriate shift occurs seamlessly with the timed engagement of one clutch and disengagement of another.

What's truly amazing is how transparently these actions occur.

A DSG/DualTronic tidbit on gasoline versus diesel: Supplier BorgWarner sees this gearbox as offering a gasoline-powered car perhaps 5-percent better fuel economy compared with its automatic-equipped counterpart. But it cites as much as 15-percent better diesel economy. Why the difference? Diesels produce their torque - and a lot of it - at relatively low rpm. And this is where conventional planetary gearsets (the heart of automatics, you'll recall) do not operate very efficiently.

Quote:
    Isaac said:
    From Road & Track...

Nice find!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 4/24/18 8:59 PM
    Grant
    283995 4502
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 4/24/18 2:49 PM
    Whoopsy
    270989 1816
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 4/27/18 12:25 AM
    DJM48

172305 987
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/27/18 1:37 AM
    lexs4
    102113 1813
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 4/25/18 7:21 AM
    RCA
    80999 1130
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/26/18 10:25 PM
    nberry
    25433 1178
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    554027 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    461926 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    450951 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 3/11/18 5:44 PM
    RCA
    249784 2560
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    217168 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    177450 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    167346 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 3/31/18 10:47 PM
    watt
    147322 1495
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/26/18 11:21 PM
    Whoopsy
    142415 2941
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    113588 692
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 4/26/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    110986 2103
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    109190 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    89429 765
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 4/20/18 6:04 PM
    noone1
    84363 869
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM