Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Porsche quality

    My 2003 S just went out of warranty and now has 55,000 miles. I followed all the recommended servicing and recently two weeks ago had the 60,000 servicing done.

    During the first 50,000 miles I had a host of issues that needed repair. All covered under warranty except for brakes.

    Today my car was towed to service. It had a bad carden shaft which needed to be replaced for almost $1000. When I went to pick up the car there was a strange noise in the engine and it turned out to be a bad water pump cost $500. Because the car has over 50,000 miles none of the repairs are covered under warranty.

    Strange how a Porsche known for quality falls apart after the expiration of the warranty. BY coincidence my Porsche salesperson had talked to me about buying the new Cayenne scheduled to be rolled out next month. I was seriously considering it. After these failures, no way.

    I do not bite into an apple filled with razor blades.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Nick, Ferrari suggests water pump replacements at only 20,000 miles. Check the shop rate for that labor adventure.

    Compare the shop rates on most newer cars for a water pump replacement. Even for a transverse engine Japanese car it can cost $500. One of my contractors just got a $595.00 bill for a water pump job on a Mazda 626 with only 53,000 miles on it. My last Porsche water pump death was on a 968 Cab at 29,000 miles, so a Cayenne water pump lasting for 55K miles is a advance for a water cooled Porsche.

    You make a good living so quit whining for expense free exotic motoring. $500.00 for you is nothing for gawdsakes.

    Want a 10 year/100,000 mile mechanical warranty? Get a GM truck.


    Re: Porsche quality

    Nick, early model cayenne's had alot more problems! IMO you should go for the new model cayenne S 100% , good luck.
    just use this logic, you lost 0 $ on all for F cars, so spend a little of that money, get the new CayS. I think you will be very happy !!

    Re: Porsche quality

    Jim water pump failure is not to be expected on modern cars.
    Also, I have never heard about replacing a water pump at 20,000 on new Ferrari's.

    Fortunately, I have Geico auto insurance and under their comprehensive coverage they extended the warranty to seven years and 100,000 miles. They will cover the cost but I must pay a $250 deductible for each repair.

    It doesn't change the fact that the Porsche appears to be falling apart after the warranty expired. I now must hold my breath for the next failure.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    nberry said:Fortunately, I have Geico auto insurance and under their comprehensive coverage they extended the warranty to seven years and 100,000 miles. They will cover the cost but I must pay a $250 deductible for each repair.



    I bet that will really throw out your maintenance budget out the window
    well, maybe you should have the cojones to keep you Ferrari after the warranty expires and similar milage and see what happens with that budget

    nick, surely you can focus your valuable time in more important things than to slander Porsche at any chance you get... if you were recently "seriously considering" a new Cayenne after all the suffering you have beaten us with that you say you have gone through all these years from an early production Cayenne then you must be a masoquist or something doesn't add up.... just follow Jim's advice, get a GM truck and be happy or a Hyundai SantaFe I think is what you are looking for

    Re: Porsche quality

    Carlos, when you buy a Porsche do you expect major repairs just after your warranty expired?

    Regarding purchasing a new Cayenne, I have always been open minded when it involves Porsche cars. I believe they are well engineered and known for their quality. My experience with my Cayenne should not be acceptable to anyone including die hard Porschephiles like yourself. It is a very sad day when car enthusiast protect their beloved marque by turn a blind eye to all its failings.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

    well, maybe you should have the cojones to keep you Ferrari after the warranty expires and similar milage and see what happens with that budget





    Yeah, get back to us when your F-car has 55,000 miles

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

    well, maybe you should have the cojones to keep you Ferrari after the warranty expires and similar milage and see what happens with that budget





    Yeah, get back to us when your F-car has 55,000 miles




    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

    well, maybe you should have the cojones to keep you Ferrari after the warranty expires and similar milage and see what happens with that budget





    Yeah, get back to us when your F-car has 55,000 miles






    Hmmmm. Interesting idea.

    15 to 20 years without any posts from Nick.

    Re: Porsche quality

    I don't see this as much as a quality issue as Porsche and the dealer standing behind their product and supporting their customer.

    Why was your CardAn shaft replaced? Cardan shaft vibration/humming issues on Cayennes from 40-60mph are a documented issue. From what I recall Porsche received a bad batch from a supplier that impacted many '03 and even some early '04 vehicles. I think it was covered in a VIN based service action (not a TSB) and could actually be traced to the part number level.

    Several owners have had the cardan shafts that fell in the 'bad batch' category replaced under warranty. There may have even been some good dealers that worked with Porsche to have the shafts replaced after warranty expiration since it was a known issue.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    HighDesert said:
    I don't see this as much as a quality issue as Porsche and the dealer standing behind their product and supporting their customer.

    Why was your CardAn shaft replaced? Cardan shaft vibration/humming issues on Cayennes from 40-60mph are a documented issue. From what I recall Porsche received a bad batch from a supplier that impacted many '03 and even some early '04 vehicles. I think it was covered in a VIN based service action (not a TSB) and could actually be traced to the part number level.

    Several owners have had the cardan shafts that fell in the 'bad batch' category replaced under warranty. There may have even been some good dealers that worked with Porsche to have the shafts replaced after warranty expiration since it was a known issue.



    I was familiar with the Cardan shaft service issues when I complained about the vibration and was told by Porsche it was a wheel balancing problem. Twice I had the wheels balanced (by Discount tire) to no avail.

    I have written my Porsche service department asking them to write off the $250.00.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Good luck on the letter front.

    Thanks for pointing out GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. I had no idea they offered that.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Water pump is not to be expected to fail on modern cars ?! LOL

    If it didn't fail, then Porsche should shutdown it's spare parts department

    Nothing lasts forever.

    Re: Porsche quality

    I'm sympathetic regarding the problems you're experiencing Nick. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer bad experiences. But you seem to be attracting a lot of negative comments Nick.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I'm sympathetic regarding the problems you're experiencing Nick. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer bad experiences. But you seem to be attracting a lot of negative comments Nick.



    I did not expect otherwise. If Weideking instructed Porsche owners to eat sh*t you would be surprise how many would.

    BTW a water pump in a modern Porsche should last longer than 50,000 miles. NO?

    Re: Porsche quality

    Nick, You watch too much Rosie O'Donnell.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Guys, you aren't really being objective now, are you? I'd be pissed if my car started braking down at that point. You're arguing at his level now

    Re: Porsche quality

    IMHO, a water pump replacement at 50K miles for a high performance car is not that unacceptable. If it didn't fail at 50K miles, it would certainly fail before 70K miles. Somewhere within that range a F-Car, L-Car, or Jag will surely experience the same fate. $500 for a water pump job is very reasonable. If you want cheaper, you'd have to do it yourself.

    The Cardan Shaft issue is not excusable. If I had an Alpha model Cayenne, I'd do everything I can to ensure that part is replaced before the deadline, by pointing out the well documented TSB.

    Regarding the '08, I wouldn't buy it. It's another first year model. I'd let the dust settle a bit, and see how things turn out.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    CityRacer said:
    The Cardan Shaft issue is not excusable. If I had an Alpha model Cayenne, I'd do everything I can to ensure that part is replaced before the deadline, by pointing out the well documented TSB.



    I agree with you on the cardan shaft but was there really a TSB on it? I've never been able to find a TSB on it and that's what made me think it was a service action which seems to make it a bit less documented and under the radar.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    My 2003 S just went out of warranty and now has 55,000 miles. I followed all the recommended servicing and recently two weeks ago had the 60,000 servicing done.

    During the first 50,000 miles I had a host of issues that needed repair. All covered under warranty except for brakes.

    Today my car was towed to service. It had a bad carden shaft which needed to be replaced for almost $1000. When I went to pick up the car there was a strange noise in the engine and it turned out to be a bad water pump cost $500. Because the car has over 50,000 miles none of the repairs are covered under warranty.

    Strange how a Porsche known for quality falls apart after the expiration of the warranty. BY coincidence my Porsche salesperson had talked to me about buying the new Cayenne scheduled to be rolled out next month. I was seriously considering it. After these failures, no way.

    I do not bite into an apple filled with razor blades.



    You know that porsche is one of the few car makers that offer an extended warranty that covers all major parts extended year by year as long as you service your car regularly at the dealer. the warranty costs about 1000 USD a year and is covered world wide and can be renewed for up to a maximum of 10 years since delivery.

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    It is a very sad day when car enthusiast protect their beloved marque by turn a blind eye to all its failings.



    Did that sentence really come out of Nick's mouth?

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Regarding purchasing a new Cayenne, I have always been open minded when it involves Porsche cars. I believe they are well engineered and known for their quality.


    Seriously Nick. What the hell have they put in the local La Jolla water?
    You actually just wrote something positive about Porsche! Surely you're not feeling well?!

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Regarding purchasing a new Cayenne, I have always been open minded when it involves Porsche cars. I believe they are well engineered and known for their quality.


    Seriously Nick. What the hell have they put in the local La Jolla water?
    You actually just wrote something positive about Porsche! Surely you're not feeling well?!



    Must've been some confiscated GHB leaking from the local police station depot .

    Re: Porsche quality

    I just had my 60,000K service...it cost me almost 2000USD. I also had to change my cornering light...the service was basically only checking if things were right. how could that cost so much. also my CD changer didn't work so the service guy told me they had to replace it for a little over 1000 USD!!!! before the warranty expired I had no such problems..so why all these problems now....

    Re: Porsche quality

    Why people say Nick to compare to cayenne his ferrari.

    We are talking about a SUV which must be a solid vehicle.

    I agree for early Cayenne Models had some problems. I remember at 2003 and 2004 , when i ve had C4S , there are a lot of Cayenne S in the workshop for tranny problems and some side-airbag problems. But i know these problems solved in future models

    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Regarding purchasing a new Cayenne, I have always been open minded when it involves Porsche cars. I believe they are well engineered and known for their quality.


    Seriously Nick. What the hell have they put in the local La Jolla water?
    You actually just wrote something positive about Porsche! Surely you're not feeling well?!



    Well, after the Carden shaft and water pump failed, two days ago the ignition coil wires had to be replaced (the car was sputtering and missing badly). All eight had cracked ($600). My insurance company sent out an inspector because they could not believe all eight had gone bad.

    As I wrote earlier, fortunately I had warranty coverage under my auto policy. Unfortunately, it requires a $250 deductible for every service.

    I have raised the issue with Porsche and after speaking with the regional service rep they have agreed to reimburse me two of the three deductibles. I honestly believe Porsche is embarrassed by what is happening to this car. There just isn't any way Porsche can rationalize this.

    Re: Porsche quality

    i also dont understand why some people are comparing the cayenne to a ferrari??? where is the common point?
    i would also be disapointed if such problems occured on a cayenne. in 2004, my wife had an x5 that was 4 years old , the auto gearbox broke at 60k km , even though the warranty was expired , they replaced it on goodwill warranty

    Re: Porsche quality

    Just when I thought Porsche was going to makes things right I get a surprise. Instead of reimbursing me my deductible, I get a service/parts certificate for $200. What the hell am I going to do with it? The least they should have done was reimburse me in cash.

    Re: Porsche quality

    "Reimbursement" - does that preclude "company script" in California? You will be counting the hours until you need to use it in the service department.

    How to "spend" the certificate? Wait till that dealer is holding an event then round up 10 homeless people and take them in for a low buck widget shopping spree in the parts department and some free wine in the showroom

    Who knows, one of them could be Nick Nolte and then buy a new Turbo Cab.

    Pray the parts department has golf tees and paper towels in stock.

    Overall its a stinkin deal Nick.


    Re: Porsche quality

    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Just when I thought Porsche was going to makes things right I get a surprise. Instead of reimbursing me my deductible, I get a service/parts certificate for $200. What the hell am I going to do with it? The least they should have done was reimburse me in cash.

    trade it in for an X5 and be free from Porsche once and for all...

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 4/24/18 8:59 PM
    Grant
    283995 4502
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 4/24/18 2:49 PM
    Whoopsy
    270989 1816
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 4/27/18 12:25 AM
    DJM48
     
     
     
     
     
    172304 987
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/27/18 1:37 AM
    lexs4
    102113 1813
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 4/25/18 7:21 AM
    RCA
    80999 1130
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/26/18 10:25 PM
    nberry
    25432 1178
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    554027 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    461926 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    450951 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 3/11/18 5:44 PM
    RCA
    249784 2560
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    217168 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    177450 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    167346 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 3/31/18 10:47 PM
    watt
    147322 1495
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/26/18 11:21 PM
    Whoopsy
    142414 2941
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    113587 692
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 4/26/18 10:49 AM
    RCA
    110986 2103
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    109190 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    89429 765
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 4/20/18 6:04 PM
    noone1
    84363 869
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    82783 732
    McLaren F1 8/23/17 11:10 AM
    Carlos from SpainM
    51200 202
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 3/30/18 9:09 AM
    TB993tt
    48254 640
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 4/26/18 3:31 PM
    SciFrog
    46865 733
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    42869 423
    Lambo Huracán Performante in "6.52 something" at the Ring? 11/7/17 12:30 AM
    kingjr9000
    37014 852
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/29/17 12:27 PM
    DJM48
    31369 471
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    31166 597
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    31049 1122
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/12/18 2:01 PM
    crayphile
    28352 427
    346 items found, displaying 1 to 30.