Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 depreciation

Quote:
    schobydoby said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:
    ....Get rid of the lease option as well. Then maybe we wouldn't have some of these problems. Just my opinion.

HI,
    I read your post. I do not understand your reference to leasing. Leasing is the same as buying, but you have already negotiated the price of the car after say 3 or 4 years, the length of the lease.

Price is based on supply and demand. If you want a better deal when you buy the car, then an ample supply is good. However, if you want a better deal when you sell the car, then of course an ample supply is bad. You can not have both.

In my opinion, high supply when you buy the car gets you a better deal, increases the number of P cars out there. Good for the factory and global economy. This in turn produces more pre-owned cars which is good for our fellow P car lovers that can not afford a new one. I do not think leasing has anything to do with it.

Leasing is not the same as buying at all. I don't know what would make you think it's the same.

I bought my Porsche which meant I saved up and put aside a wedge. Wrote it off as money spent, and knew in my mind that was that. If the economy goes tits up as it is now, and I end up with less income, car payments are not an issue and the depreciating asset is mine. I'm not left stressing about how much the toy is costing me.

Leasing also encourages you to get rid of your car at 3 - 4 years old, simply because of age, not because of it actually needs to be changed. This leads to increased volume of used cars sitting amount on forecourts.

Quote:
    Ronnie said:

Leasing is not the same as buying at all. I don't know what would make you think it's the same.

I bought my Porsche which meant I saved up and put aside a wedge. Wrote it off as money spent, and knew in my mind that was that. If the economy goes tits up as it is now, and I end up with less income, car payments are not an issue and the depreciating asset is mine. I'm not left stressing about how much the toy is costing me.

Leasing also encourages you to get rid of your car at 3 - 4 years old, simply because of age, not because of it actually needs to be changed. This leads to increased volume of used cars sitting amount on forecourts.

I agree with you Ronnie, 100%.

Buy your car when you can afford to buy it, and keep it for longer; anyway modern premium cars last very long. If you don't have the cash to buy a carrera s for example buy another good car you can afford at the moment, like a BMW or Audi etc.and enjoy it without fear.

In this way you won't worry about loan instalments and depreciation will also be irrelevant because you won't be looking to sell it soon.

Mileage will also be irrelevant if you are not after a quick switch, therefore you will have the chance to enjoy your car more without worrying about resale.

Many people keep their expensive cars (more so the Italian cars) in mothballs dreading depreciation and drop of value at resale, which is funny in my way of thinking. What's the point of having something you don't use as much? Just to make a statement?

I cannot see why someone who cannot afford a car would go out and borrow for it. It's different if you borrow for your house or property in general or your business!

Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    Quote:
    schobydoby said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:
    ....Get rid of the lease option as well. Then maybe we wouldn't have some of these problems. Just my opinion.

HI,
    I read your post. I do not understand your reference to leasing. Leasing is the same as buying, but you have already negotiated the price of the car after say 3 or 4 years, the length of the lease.

Price is based on supply and demand. If you want a better deal when you buy the car, then an ample supply is good. However, if you want a better deal when you sell the car, then of course an ample supply is bad. You can not have both.

In my opinion, high supply when you buy the car gets you a better deal, increases the number of P cars out there. Good for the factory and global economy. This in turn produces more pre-owned cars which is good for our fellow P car lovers that can not afford a new one. I do not think leasing has anything to do with it.

Agree fully

I saved up too and paid for the car in full. My previous 997 Carrera I financed.

There is a BIG difference. I know going forward I can afford the payments, as there aren't any! Plus I saved a stupid amount of interest (PoundsPounds,PoundsPoundsPounds) in the long run.

It is actually one of the factors that makes me want to make the car a keeper now, it's totally mine and I am much more attached to it because of it. So 'depreciation' is not a factor as it's about what it is worth to ME and not someone else.

I was thinking to myself at the weekend: what else could I spend Pounds100k on and get so much enjoyment from? Sure, there are lots of 'financial investments' which would be a wiser place for a young man to build additional security for his future kids. However, most 'investments' don't give back any daily enjoyment factor, and come with an element of risk. I've work my backside off since I was 4 at school then work - I need a release/reward for that.

Property investment would be the logical choice but if I were to move and upgrade my house, then Pounds100k hardly buys you anything anymore, perhaps an extra bedroom. Oooooo, that gets the pulse racing! And most of that would go the government in terms of Stamp duty tax!!

So I say "to hell with depreciation, spend your money on what makes you happy". If that happiness comes with a price, then try to minimize the impact as much as possible and then just forget about it (assuming you can afford it in the 1st place)

Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    Quote:
    schobydoby said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:

HI,

Agree fully

I saved up too and paid for the car in full. My previous 997 Carrera I financed.

There is a BIG difference. I know going forward I can afford the payments, as there aren't any! Plus I saved a stupid amount of interest (PoundsPounds,PoundsPoundsPounds) in the long run.

It is actually one of the factors that makes me want to make the car a keeper now, it's totally mine and I am much more attached to it because of it. So 'depreciation' is not a factor as it's about what it is worth to ME and not someone else.

I was thinking to myself at the weekend: what else could I spend Pounds100k on and get so much enjoyment from? Sure, there are lots of 'financial investments' which would be a wiser place for a young man to build additional security for his future kids. However, most 'investments' don't give back any daily enjoyment factor, and come with an element of risk. I've work my backside off since I was 4 at school then work - I need a release/reward for that.

Property investment would be the logical choice but if I were to move and upgrade my house, then Pounds100k hardly buys you anything anymore, perhaps an extra bedroom. Oooooo, that gets the pulse racing! And most of that would go the government in terms of Stamp duty tax!!

So I say "to hell with depreciation, spend your money on what makes you happy". If that happiness comes with a price, then try to minimize the impact as much as possible and then just forget about it (assuming you can afford it in the 1st place)

+100k

Quote:
    boytronic said:
    Quote:
    Alex_997TT said:
    Quote:
    Ronnie said:
    Quote:
    schobydoby said:
    Quote:
    cag64 said:

HI,

Agree fully

+100k

x2 and a bit

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 3/22/19 7:20 AM
    Josef
    334181 2080
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 3/20/19 9:25 PM
    CGX car nut

223555 1178
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 3/20/19 3:11 PM
    crayphile
    151885 2664
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 3/23/19 1:05 PM
    Wonderbar
    73502 932
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 3/5/19 3:05 PM
    Kobalt
    17278 158
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14922 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 3/13/19 6:43 AM
    Mikla
    12816 145
    Porsche Sticky New 992 Turbo 3/4/19 10:48 AM
    RCA
    6590 52
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 3/21/19 1:52 PM
    nberry
    5870 89
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayenne Coupe (2019) 3/23/19 3:13 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    1662 29
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    487809 4255
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 3/23/19 9:04 AM
    paulgt3
    426053 5230
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    321516 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 3/1/19 8:53 PM
    DJM48
    287960 2603
    Porsche Cayman GT4 3/17/19 12:44 PM
    bluelines
    286043 2815
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 3/22/19 9:29 AM
    crayphile
    223369 2812
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 3/14/19 6:37 AM
    koko
    196358 1791
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 3/6/19 10:41 AM
    RCA
    192893 3358
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    158959 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144966 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    113332 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    108228 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 3/23/19 7:42 AM