Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Most of you guys told me to stick with my 2003 X50, but I really would like to trade it with either a Gallardo or the New F430, but the problem is that I got a low price for my X50, its on a perfect condition no scratches at all, Techno Wheels, Full Carbon Fiber Package, PCM and a navigation system, X50 Package and an Aero Kit. I remember buying this masterpiece for a 43000 KD that's about 120,425 Euros. And now I am just getting a 25000 KD that's about 68,270 Euros, which is a ridiculous price!! And here in Kuwait price for a new Gallardo is about 147,464 Euros and the new F430 is about 158,837 ~ 161,000 Euros. So what do you think guys? Is it worth it getting a new car or should I wait and get a better price?

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Wow!!! That's a pretty crappy price.
    Turbo's don't hold their value like the old days but I think that is ridiculous. If the money doesn't matter then get the F430. It looks like a very nice machine.

    Otherwise I'd stick with the X50 which is a pretty good car itself. (minus the interior)

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    burg said:
    Most of you guys told me to stick with my 2003 X50, but I really would like to trade it with either a Gallardo or the New F430, but the problem is that I got a low price for my X50, its on a perfect condition no scratches at all, Techno Wheels, Full Carbon Fiber Package, PCM and a navigation system, X50 Package and an Aero Kit. I remember buying this masterpiece for a 43000 KD that's about 120,425 Euros. And now I am just getting a 25000 KD that's about 68,270 Euros, which is a ridiculous price!! And here in Kuwait price for a new Gallardo is about 147,464 Euros and the new F430 is about 158,837 ~ 161,000 Euros. So what do you think guys? Is it worth it getting a new car or should I wait and get a better price?



    Welcome to the resale world of Porsche.

    If you can get a F430 by all means do so. It will not depreciate for quite awhile and probably appreciate in the short term. Though the Gallardo is a terrific performance car, I believe it will have a substantial depreciation but not as bad as your Porsche.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    nberry is right, the F430 will hold its value for at least 3-4 years and under 8000~ miles.

    that said, if you plan to drive it very much expect the value to plumet, as the secondary market is mostly made up of people who can't wait and 'must have it immediately'

    the gallardo, if you look at the supply vs demand (at least here in the usa, every dealer has 2-3 availible for immediate delivery, and plenty of incoming allocations availible for changing and customizing for delivery in a few months. too much supply, not enough demand, = bad residuals.

    if neither cost or residual value is a factor, which is the best situation to find oneself in when buying a supercar, i would still buy the F430 given the choice, however, it would have to be the spyder.

    the gallardo spyder should be coming out soon

    it should be said that, even though these cars F430/Gallardo, are marketed as "everyday supercars" - none can match the long term reliability and low maintinence costs of the 911 TT, which is and will always be, the ultimate GT in terms of the ratio between prestige/performance and supercar taboos such as reliability, maintinence costs...

    don't expect these cars to be able to replace the TT/any porsche in terms of real world usability, and i'm sure everyone will agree with me, no matter how diehard Ferrari/lambo fan they are.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    You bought a NEW X50 equipped Turbo with Aerokit for 120000 Euro???
    The question is: WHY do you want to give away your Turbo?
    Don't you like it anymore? Do you want a new toy? Aren't you satisfied with the quality/performance?
    The Gallardo is a great car but performance is pretty close to 996 Turbo X50 performance, not much difference here.
    Can't say much about the F430 yet but judging by factory specs, the 996 Turbo X50 isn't slower than the F430, at least not up to 250 kph.

    Used 996 Turbos with low mileage and X50 kit sell in Germany usually in the 110000-120000 Euro range, dealers would take them in at around 105000 Euro I guess.
    They usually had a new price tag of around 150000 Euro.

    In my opinion, there isn't much difference to the depreciation of Ferrari cars, used F360 cars are available everywhere in Germany at highly attractive prices (hi Nick! ).

    I'm curious to see the faces of all those who sell their Turbos now to go for a Ferrari or Lamborghini when the 997 Turbo (nick name: bling bling killer ) shows up.
    I'll remind you of all your sold Turbos when the time comes and I don't want to read any whining.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm curious to see the faces of all those who sell their Turbos now to go for a Ferrari or Lamborghini when the 997 Turbo (nick name: bling bling killer ) shows up.



    Are we still expecting The Thing by the end of 2006?
    Greetings,
    --Pierre

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    i say end of 07

    with a one year gap between the 996 turbo, ie. 1 year with no turbo

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    Moogle said:
    i say end of 07
    ...



    I am pretty sure it shows up in 2006, maybe as MY 2007!

    Burg, I don't know how market prices for the F430 will be. I have to agree with RC that this wouldn't make any sense to upgrade unless you just need a new "toy".

    Right now Ferrari prices are supported by a huge wave of enthusiasm and hype, but mainly in the US. In Europe prices might not depreciate as much and you should bear in mind that it strongly depends on the mileage you drive with those exotics.

    The fact that everybody is running for the 430 and much less people are interested in a Gallardo is rather symptomatic for the US market, in my opinion.

    Anybody from US can confirm that?

    Greetings!

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    The fact that everybody is running for the 430 and much less people are interested in a Gallardo is rather symptomatic for the US market, in my opinion.

    Anybody from US can confirm that?




    yep, unless you have a great relationship with an Fcar dealer, you have to get on a list to even order a car, and it has to be with a dealer in your local area (or near a residence of yours, you can't go more than a few states out). thats for the coupe, lets not even consider the spyder

    of course it will be easy to buy them with a premium right after they come out from a car broker looking to make a profit as with any f-car release.

    the gallardo, you can buy from any state, theres no limit, not htat its hard to find, every dealer has 2-5, in any colour you could want, and most can order one for you custom delivered in a few months.

    demand, the F430 has it in spades, which assures residuals, while the gallardo doesnt appear to be attracting the lust of many people who can really afford this price point, its a bit too teutonic and audi-ish to be a real supercar, even if that means reliability

    Tom

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    RC said:


    I'm curious to see the faces of all those who sell their Turbos now to go for a Ferrari or Lamborghini when the 997 Turbo (nick name: bling bling killer ) shows up.
    I'll remind you of all your sold Turbos when the time comes and I don't want to read any whining.



    RC, I am curious. Have you driven a 360? The reason why I ask is once you have driven one, performance isn't as important. It is the fun and excitement one experiences driving a Ferrari that really matters.

    German engineers have yet to understand the concept. They are so fixated on getting a good time on their beloved ring that nothing else matters.

    What Porsche should do is permanently paint on the side window the various times of the competitors and their car. Those who care will proudly buy Porsche and advertise why.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Nick,

    I agree, my 996TT is clearly faster than my 360 but there's just something about driving the 360 that always manages to put a smile on my face.

    That being said however, if I could only have one car in my garage it'd be the 996TT. The 360 just isn't up to Porsche reliability and even though I put a decent number of miles on my 360 (7K/yr), I put twice as many on my 996TT - these are just not high mileage daily drivers.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    RC,
    I got it for 120,000 euros because here in Kuwait we don't have TAX like you guys in Europe and The States, I am really happy with my car but I need a new toy. Many of my friends are suggesting me to wait for the F430 to see it and test drive it b4 considering buying it, I have already test drive the Gallardo and as you said RC no big difference but I liked the shape of the car looks aggressive although its a tiny car.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    The Thing..it seems will be here..early 2006..

    can't wait!!

    ciaoo

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    The new 997 TT will be a marvels car but the thing is that what's the meaning of changing if I sell a TT and buy another one even if it is a different model, and I don't think there is going to be a much changing in the engine nor the horse power (993 ~ 996 was not a big change) so what about the 997 I think the difference is going to be around 50 ~ 60 horse power MAX. So that's why I want to change the whole experience by changing the whole brand from Porsche to either Ferrari or Lambo. It is going to be a whole new driving experience for me.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    burg said:
    The new 997 TT will be a marvels car but the thing is that what's the meaning of changing if I sell a TT and buy another one even if it is a different model, and I don't think there is going to be a much changing in the engine nor the horse power (993 ~ 996 was not a big change)



    Performance is not purely about horsepower.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    burg said:
    The new 997 TT will be a marvels car but the thing is that what's the meaning of changing if I sell a TT and buy another one even if it is a different model, and I don't think there is going to be a much changing in the engine nor the horse power (993 ~ 996 was not a big change) so what about the 997 I think the difference is going to be around 50 ~ 60 horse power MAX. So that's why I want to change the whole experience by changing the whole brand from Porsche to either Ferrari or Lambo. It is going to be a whole new driving experience for me.



    If you are in it for horse power, then you are in for the wrong reason. When you are in Canada, Toronto I can arrange you a visit to Mosport track (one of the top ten in North America) where you can drive my 996TT against a driver I know going in Acura Integra 92. I promise you nethr you or me will have a chance against that guy.

    The only advsie I have for you is - go and learn more to drive on the track, learn more what is actually inside the sport cars you like to buy and then make the decision. Take care

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    burg,

    I remember being told by someone who also lived in Kuwait that - due to local conditions (sunshine, heat, sand, roads, .... more sunshine and heat) - a typical American sedan had an useful life of maybe 2 -3 years on that market. So the depreciation of cars, including up-market models, would typically be much higher than in Europe and the USA. This would explain the lower trade-in value of your TT.

    Could you comment or confirm?

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    ...a typical American sedan had an useful life of maybe 2 -3 years on that market. So the depreciation of cars, including up-market models, would typically be much higher than in Europe and the USA. This would explain the lower trade-in value of your TT.

    Could you comment or confirm?



    You are talking about an American sedan. No other comments needed.

    Just joking...


    Burg,

    I appreciate your honest comments about your attitude but I have to agree with Lev on the driver's issue.
    Once you are really familiar with the car in any aspect you will find out a strong difference between the 996 and 997 model - just as it occurs with the Carrera versions already.

    On the other hand it is nothing bad to check out another marque - I'd say the 430 has a completely different charactrer and therefore you'd check out a 360 first. If you like it, you might be of to a new 430! Otherwise I'd keep the TT!

    Lev, what in detail is the superiority of the guy you mentioned? Is he faster in the corners? Does he use slick tires?

    Greetings!

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    If Kuwait is the land of straight roads that I imagine, I would suspect you may ultimately favor a car w/class-leading straight-line speed and torque, w/less of an emphasis on steering and handling. Aside from turbo lag issue of 996TT, I would suspect its power and torque will win the day vs G...and certainly vs 360 and even 430. In a straight-line oriented setting, you may want to also consider SL65 and Murci as alternatives....

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    I agree that F430 will hold a better value than Gallardo. But if you don't want to wait for a long time, Gallardo may be is a better choice.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    fritz said:
    burg,

    I remember being told by someone who also lived in Kuwait that - due to local conditions (sunshine, heat, sand, roads, .... more sunshine and heat) - a typical American sedan had an useful life of maybe 2 -3 years on that market. So the depreciation of cars, including up-market models, would typically be much higher than in Europe and the USA. This would explain the lower trade-in value of your TT.

    Could you comment or confirm?




    Actually the problem is that here in Kuwait the second hand market is screwed once you buy the car and you want to sell it in the same day you are going to lose 16000 ~ 17000 Euros , imagine after 2 ~ 3 years? And you are right about the American Cars they prefer it here in Kuwait as a ordinary cars I meant like cars for a private driver and most of the Kuwaitis got that but for there own pleaser they prefer German Sedan Cars Merci and BMW, and for the young Kuwaiti people they prefer sport cars like the Porsche, Ferrari, alfa and corvette.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    And believe me guys I am here not to flame the 996TT or the 997TT I am a proud owner of the 996TT X50, but what I meant to say is I want to experience a whole new driving experience.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Nick, I have driven the F360, even the Challenge Stradale (which I really liked because it provides somehow a race car feeling). But I don't like the F360, it is not really what I like on a sportscar and fun means for me that I have to sweat, to get a raised pulse and a that my senses are 100% open to that experience. It didn't happen in the F360, only in the Lamborghini Murcielago, GT3/GT2 and of course in the 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis and PCCB.
    Not to forget about the 996 Turbo, especially tuned to my specs.
    When I spend so much money on a car, it has to be something special. The F360 is nice looking (though I prefer the F355), it has a nice exhaust sound (especially with Tubis) but drive feel and actually driving experience is by far inferior even to the Boxster, sorry to say that. There is something missing and I hope (and believe) that the F430 will be a different beast.

    I'm more the technical type of guy, I wear jeans all the time, the last time I had a tie was at my own wedding 11 years ago. You figure...

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    RC said:
    Nick, I have driven the F360, even the Challenge Stradale (which I really liked because it provides somehow a race car feeling). But I don't like the F360, it is not really what I like on a sportscar and fun means for me that I have to sweat, to get a raised pulse and a that my senses are 100% open to that experience. It didn't happen in the F360, only in the Lamborghini Murcielago, GT3/GT2 and of course in the 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis and PCCB.
    Not to forget about the 996 Turbo, especially tuned to my specs.
    When I spend so much money on a car, it has to be something special. The F360 is nice looking (though I prefer the F355), it has a nice exhaust sound (especially with Tubis) but drive feel and actually driving experience is by far inferior even to the Boxster, sorry to say that. There is something missing and I hope (and believe) that the F430 will be a different beast.

    I'm more the technical type of guy, I wear jeans all the time, the last time I had a tie was at my own wedding 11 years ago. You figure...



    RC, could you go into detail what you dislike about the 360? Very curious about it!

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    RC said:
    But I don't like the F360, it is not really what I like on a sportscar and fun means for me that I have to sweat, to get a raised pulse and a that my senses are 100% open to that experience. It didn't happen in the F360, only in the Lamborghini Murcielago, GT3/GT2 and of course in the 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis and PCCB.




    To each his own, obviously. I've owned many, many Porsches over the years, and my 360 is so much more intense and exciting it is in a different world, and the CS of course would be more so. I drove a Boxster with intent to buy and thought the handling was great, but the excitement level just was not there at all compared to the 360. Everyone has different opinons of course.

    Gary

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    RC said:
    The F360 is nice looking (though I prefer the F355), it has a nice exhaust sound (especially with Tubis) but drive feel and actually driving experience is by far inferior even to the Boxster, sorry to say that.



    I agree with 99% of your post. But are you sure about the above sentence?

    I agree that the 996/997 provide a slightly more refined, more precise drive feel than the Modena. Driven at 80%-100% the Porsche's, in particular GT3/GT2 and turbo, provide quite a lot of fun. Particularly on the Autobahn where the car's limits can be explored easier than on country roads.

    On the other side, driven in day-to-day situations and on country roads (i.e. typically at much less than 80% of the car's capabilities) the Ferrari is simply more fun to drive than the Porsches. At least I feel so. Therefore, could you please eleborate further on your above statement about driving experience?

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    To each his own, obviously. I've owned many, many Porsches over the years, and my 360 is so much more intense and exciting it is in a different world, and the CS of course would be more so. I drove a Boxster with intent to buy and thought the handling was great, but the excitement level just was not there at all compared to the 360. Everyone has different opinons of course.

    Gary



    I agree entirely. The sensation of a Ferrari is in a class of its own. The TT is quicker and the much more efficient car. However, the Ferrari is pure fun and excitement:! Cannot be replaced by a Porsche.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    ...I agree entirely. The sensation of a Ferrari is in a class of its own. The TT is quicker and the much more efficient car. However, the Ferrari is pure fun and excitement:! Cannot be replaced by a Porsche.



    Hasn't this always been Porsche's philosophy? More efficient, less spectacular? I would say this resembles the perfect one - since margins narrow down and even Ferraris become sort of "efficient" people accept or even enjoy its spectacular moment throughout the day...

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    burg said:
    I need a new toy.



    Better you buy a play station. The cockpit looks like a driving simulator and to many different materials. Ugly!
    But I have to say, that I only have seen it on pictures.
    Maybe it's better in real.

    But the exterior-look is great , from behind an Enzo for poor people, someone said yesterday.

    Re: Selling X50, buying either a F430 or a Gallardo?

    Quote:
    from behind an Enzo for poor people, someone said yesterday.



    let's define "poor"...

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    417200 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327613 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost
     
     
     
     
     
    214898 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/21/19 8:49 AM
    bridggar
    213024 2773
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/21/19 10:21 AM
    RCA
    139249 2523
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/21/19 10:18 AM
    RCA
    42081 581
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39410 383
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    15077 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14341 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/17/19 3:54 PM
    Lars997M
    4376 43
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3614 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485855 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    308940 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284709 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/21/19 9:34 AM
    RCA
    272150 2656
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    194460 1789
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193155 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188425 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155722 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144076 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112581 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107418 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/21/19 12:26 AM
    4trac
    94772 1318
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68167 673
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57985 423
    Others Tesla Roadster 1/21/19 10:15 AM
    RCA
    51517 1571
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    47901 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43267 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    42755 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40302 472
    274 items found, displaying 1 to 30.