Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Spanish Grand Prix

"...McLaren mechanics cheering Lewis' lap in qualifying - which made Alonso's wife leave the garage.."

Ouch, that's gotta sting!
    I've said it before, and I believe it more and more: I think Hamilton will bag this championship.

The big question is, will Michael be back? He can clearly now see that his talent is far above any of the current drivers, and his team isn't so bad either. Come back Michael!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:
    I am just sitting here waiting for Carlos' excuse for Alonso. So in the end it wasn't Hamilton that was "excited" at the first corner, but Carlos' countryman.

Alonso had the advantage, he was ahead of Massa into the corner, so it was Massa who pushed him off. Thats the rule of the game, it was Massa's fault, Alosno had won the position into the corner, but it was fair game if Massa wanted to fight it. Alonso had only one chance at winning and that was coming out first out of the first corner, and Massa was in the same boat, he had to risk it, Alonso managed to coming in ahead but not enough to avoid a fight and came out lossing in the light collision. However I didn't see any foul play in Massa part, the touching was fair game IMO, Alonso was ahead but still Massa was in there had had a right to fight it.
    After that, it was pretty much like I said, a parade with no overtaking or change in positions al the way through

Alonso had the aerodinamic reflector ripped off after the accident with Massa, so he had no chance at trying to fight it, and at least managed at least third place.

Hamilton did a good job but he has got to be the luckiest rookie in history. Massa, Kimi, and Alosno have had problems (mechanical, car-setup, or race incident) in at least two races each, but Hamilton has had a 100% car and clean road all four races. If only Kimi had his luck in his first years.

Although I'm not a Massa fan, I'm glad for him, I think he deserved the victory and is proving that Kimi should not be the first pilot in the team. I see Massa as the one to be fighting at the end of the season with Alosno for the championship.

Also Kubica is starting to shine, he is the future Alonso IMO, if he only had a Ferrari or a McLaren

Dude you serious? Massa had the racing line, Alonso was nowhere near ahead enough. He was dreaming if he thought that he had that corner and Massa covered!

Yawn - overall that has to be one of the most boring races I've seen for a long time It's quite pathetic IMO that the first corner more or less determined the result.

About Massa/Alonso, I respect both guys so I'm really neutral here. My humble view, like others here, is that Massa clearly had the inside line going into turn 1. Alonso was ahead by about a 'nose' but was still on the outside. Alonso couldn't get past and, eventually, he just ran out of road. It was a fair fight and Massa was well within his rights IMO just holding the racing line. Why should he just concede the corner? If Alonso implied that Massa was 'dangerous' then that's unjustified and just sour grapes IMO. If anything, one could argue that Alonso had acted dangerously by attempting a pass that was never realistically on. Honestly, to me, it really looked like Alonso was trying to 'muscle' his way past even though that corner was Massa's all the way.

Immediately afterwards, when Alonso was getting back on track, he nearly took out Hamilton and Raikkonen. Again, this bordered on dangerous too.

Again, this first corner episode IMO reflects Alonso's state of mind. Seems to me it was especially important to him to be on pole in his home GP. He couldn't manage that which must have hurt his pride. He desperately wanted to win his home race and correctly anticipated that the first corner would probably represent his best chance of doing so. So IMO he drove in a kind of 'bullying' fashion to try to take the lead even though Massa got a good start which made the manoeuvre unlikely to succeed.

It just seems like Alonso, whilst not cracking, is certainly feeling the pressure of a really competitive team-mate outshining him and he also feels that he 'owns' the position of 'top dog' because he is the 2 time world champion. I think it also shows how little real pressure Fisichella was putting on Alonso when they were team-mates at Renault.

@Carlos: man, it's a bit harsh saying Hamilton is a lucky rookie. He's driven very well for 4 races. The fact that he's a rookie makes this an even more impressive achievement. Sure, he has a great car but as for what happens on track, he has also handled these situations well i.e. to a degree, he has helped make his own luck.

Do I think he will become champion this year? Nope! The McLaren car may be more reliable than the Ferrari car BUT the Ferrari is still 5-10 seconds faster over race distance. It's not huge but it's enough. If Massa and/or Kimi don't slip up in qualification and in the race, then there's little the McLarens can do to win. The Ferraris need to slip up in some way for the McLarens to win.

I also feel that Lewis Hamilton is still 'too nice a guy'. He needs to be a bit more ruthless if he is to win. So far he is just keeping out of trouble on the track.

Seems to me that Alonso should remember how he played the percentage game in 2005 and 2006 to win i.e. ironing out unnecessary risks. Winning the championship is all about scoring points consistently at every race.

I found Kimi really disappointing overall. A mechanical or electrical fault will provide him with an excuse for his retirement BUT he will know he was being outclassed by Massa before he had to retire.

I continue to be impressed by BMW and both its drivers. Well done to them. Poor Heidfeld's bad luck continued. The wheel nut incident was really unlucky.

Button and Barrichello continued to struggle. But it seems like Jenson doesn't care anymore. It seems like he has just written this season off.

Toyota should be deeply ashamed. Ralf Schumacher continues to underperform while Jarno Trulli has more bad luck. Sad really. How much longer can Toyota keep going on like this?

Well done to Super Aguri. Their first point in F1!

Renault continue to be also rans. Sad really. The fuel miscalculation was pathetic. Hard to believe this is the same team that was winning so consistently in 2005 and 2006.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hamilton did a good job but he has got to be the luckiest rookie in history.:(

Not a fair comment bearing in mind Hamilton's consistent success story in his first F1 season.

Sour grapes that he consistently outshines Alonso?

Well done Hamilton. Quite an achievement for a rookie. I do not see where was the luck?

The GP was amazing, Alonso was audacious, but in the end Massa's balls paid off.
    Chatted with Rosberg and Wurz, very cool guys, great hosting from the Williams team, they even let my friend play race director!!!

The pitlane was great, we only got inside the Williams' team one but got to walk around the others before the race, the drivers are nice and pretty approachable.
    What amazed me most is the level of logistics involved!

Some danger is a good thing. F1 needs more of it. Racing shouldnt be a risk free zero sum game. These guys get paid plenty to take chances on the ragged edge.

Good to see Alonso try to pass Massa at a tricky place on that sleepy racetrack.

I can't wait to see Hman and Alonso duel this season.

McLaren drivers are providing some thrills this year. Massa did give a nice pyrotechnic show and congrats to him for his wins so far.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    ........ great hosting from the Williams team, they even let my friend play race director!!!

Maybe they should have let him do that BEFORE the race or AFTER the race, but not DURING the race!

At the end of the day Kimi is the smoothest driver. I heard that Kimi feels the car understeers too much, while Schumi never mentioned it - that proves that Kimi is even smoother than Schumi. I suspect though that he is not as involved in the car's setup as Schumi was. Alsonso, Hamilton, and Massa are good drivers but they are not as good as Kimi.

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. Kimi is very quick but gets the least involved in car development of any driver I can recall. I would never describe him as 'smooth'. He is very hard on his cars. His reliability problems at McLaren and now at Ferrari are IMHO not just an unlucky coincidence.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. Kimi is very quick but gets the least involved in car development of any driver I can recall. I would never describe him as 'smooth'. He is very hard on his cars. His reliability problems at McLaren and now at Ferrari are IMHO not just an unlucky coincidence.

I said that (unfortunately) it seems Kimi is hands off as far as setup development and feedback. As far as smoothness... he can be hard on the car, i. e., push it to the limit but still be a smooth driver. Alonso and Massa are not smooth drivers - they still have a lot of that young-age steering wheel jerking, hallmark of a nervous, not-smooth driver.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

I said that (unfortunately) it seems Kimi is hands off as far as setup development and feedback. As far as smoothness... he can be hard on the car, i. e., push it to the limit but still be a smooth driver. Alonso and Massa are not smooth drivers - they still have a lot of that young-age steering wheel jerking, hallmark of a nervous, not-smooth driver.

Yes, and they finish the races.....

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    [...] manage to confuse lack of talent with mechanical malfunction. Just a thought. [...]

Show me Raikkonen's superior abilities that you endlessly bragged about. Compared to Massa I can't see them - and judging by your above comments neither can you.

There is more to a complete racecar driver than Raikkonen delivers. Let us watch his position at Ferrari during the rest of the season. I am sure you will be able to find an explanation, no matter the outcome. In fact I even have an explanation for his current (lack ) of performance: Massa is fully integrated into the team while Raikkonen has to adapt. But wait, to do so he'd have to... talk!

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    I'm glad you acknowledge my wisdom. I'm also looking forward to inputs from you that will broaden it.

Ever heard the word... irony? I find part of your comments on this board somewhat ridiculous, I just hope that you're better of in reality.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    417195 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327613 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost

214897 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/21/19 8:49 AM
    bridggar
    212997 2773
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/21/19 7:56 AM
    BjoernB
    139224 2522
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/21/19 9:45 AM
    neunelf
    42035 578
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39409 383
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    15077 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14333 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/17/19 3:54 PM
    Lars997M
    4376 43
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3614 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485851 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    308932 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284705 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/21/19 9:34 AM
    RCA
    272140 2656
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    194460 1789
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193155 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188419 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155720 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144073 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112581 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107414 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/21/19 12:26 AM