Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Strange as this may sound, but the first of springs warmer weather actually encouraged this move.....

    Found the 987 a bit to blustery roof-down - guess I got used to bigger coupe-cabs, so started thinking about a change.

    Found a nice stock car with Sport Exhaust..... would be happy to post pics, but I guess I'll be banished to the Cayman forum from Saturday

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    What spec?

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Post your comparisons when you've had chance to put a few miles on.

    I know what you mean about the blusteriness.
    Downsides of open-top:
    - Fuel economy suffers a bit
    - It's windy and noisy when you go fast
    - You need sunglasses all the time
    - You get sunburnt unless you wear a hat and cream up. (Or at least I do!)
    - You get hat hair if you wear a hat
    - You can't hear the engine any more.
    - Your girlfriend complains that her hair blows all over the place.

    BUT
    - Fresh air, blue sky!
    - You can hear birds chirping in the air and trees as you drive by
    - You feel more connected to the world you're driving through.
    - You look cool

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Post your comparisons when you've had chance to put a few miles on.

    I know what you mean about the blusteriness.
    Downsides of open-top:
    - Fuel economy suffers a bit
    - It's windy and noisy when you go fast
    - You need sunglasses all the time
    - You get sunburnt unless you wear a hat and cream up. (Or at least I do!)
    - You get hat hair if you wear a hat
    - You can't hear the engine any more.
    - Your girlfriend complains that her hair blows all over the place.

    BUT
    - Fresh air, blue sky!
    - You can hear birds chirping in the air and trees as you drive by
    - You feel more connected to the world you're driving through.
    - You look cool




    Advantages to a Cab:
    - It's beautiful and warm and sunny and you don't care about fuel economy
    - It's windy and noisy when you go fast
    - You get to wear sunglasses all the time
    - You get to wear a cool hat all the time
    - You get to wear the cool hat after you're finished driving cause you have hat hair
    - You can't hear your passenger complaining about anything ;-)

    Seriously, all of your observations are correct but the balance is clearly positive for a Cab on a warm summer day (or night).

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman


    Warm nights are great with the top down.

    And I still prefer the rear 3/4 view of the Boxster to the Cayman.

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Be happy and enjoy your Boxster C7 coupe!

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Congratulations, please post pictures of it and a video of the sport exhaust

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    temm said:
    Congratulations, please post pictures of it and a video of the sport exhaust



    Congrats and please,do what Temm suggested you!!!

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    and a comparison when u can

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Post your comparisons when you've had chance to put a few miles on.




    Will indeed do a comparison ..... with as little post-purchase "I've made the right decision" bias as possible

    Looking forward to my first Cayman drive, but the way I look at it.....

    - Either I'll not like it, and will sell it in 2-3 months

    Or......

    - I love it, but will still sell it in 3-6 months for one to my spec

    I'm afraid its a bit of a habbit..... turning lovely new Porsches into nice spec/low miles Approved Used material

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    GR said:
    What spec?



    Basalt Black/Black Leather
    19" Turbo wheels
    Bi-Xenon
    Rear Wiper
    Auto dim + Rain sensor
    Sports Exhaust
    Twin Chrome Tail Pipes
    Auto A/C
    Crests in seats
    Sound Pack Plus
    CDC-4

    Rather modest, lost quite a few toys, but seems quite sporty

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    temm said:
    Congratulations, please post pictures of it and a video of the sport exhaust



    Would love to do a video, but unfortunately I don't have the recording tools.

    But rest assured, as an exhaust aficionado .... many Termignoni, Akraprovic and Lotus Sport ..... I'll post an honest down the line opinion.

    After all, I didn't spec it, so if it's a waste, I'll just say

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    MattyMo said:
    and a comparison when u can



    Drive home is 80-miles, so watch this space come Sunday

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    xbox said:
    Quote:
    GR said:
    What spec?



    Basalt Black/Black Leather
    19" Turbo wheels
    Bi-Xenon
    Rear Wiper
    Auto dim + Rain sensor
    Sports Exhaust
    Twin Chrome Tail Pipes
    Auto A/C
    Crests in seats
    Sound Pack Plus
    CDC-4

    Rather modest, lost quite a few toys, but seems quite sporty



    Very nice - I'm interested in how you find the ride on 19" without PASM

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    You're still in a 987... but it's a 120 now

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Congratulations on your dubious decision Only joking.

    I assume you are getting the Cayman S? It's a great car I'm sure you will be thrilled with it.

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    GR said:

    Very nice - I'm interested in how you find the ride on 19" without PASM



    My Boxster has the same setup, however, my previous 987 was on 18"s. I could hardly tell the difference between the two cars, in terms of ride quality - if anything the extra grip seemed to work the suspension better on 19"s, if that makes sense.

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Congratulations on your dubious decision Only joking.

    I assume you are getting the Cayman S? It's a great car I'm sure you will be thrilled with it.



    Sorry, another 2.7 ...... gotta watch that CO2 and road tax

    Did consider a used S, but then decided on a new stock car

    Can you beleive they also had a Cobalt/Grey with painted console ...... how freekey would that have been three times in a row

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    xbox said:
    Sorry, another 2.7 ...... gotta watch that CO2 and road tax




    Glad to hear you are concerned about the environment.
    Still a great car, though. In this congested overpopulated country of ours you can hardly ever use the extra grunt of the 3.4 anyway. That's why I keep going the France and Germany at every opportunity.

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    xbox said:
    Quote:
    GR said:

    Very nice - I'm interested in how you find the ride on 19" without PASM



    My Boxster has the same setup, however, my previous 987 was on 18"s. I could hardly tell the difference between the two cars, in terms of ride quality - if anything the extra grip seemed to work the suspension better on 19"s, if that makes sense.



    Ride is on the hard side of firm. I've only ever driven a C2S on 19"s with PASM (normal mode), and would say this is slightly firmer.

    Re: Swapped my 987 for a Cayman

    Quote:
    Ride is on the hard side of firm. I've only ever driven a C2S on 19"s with PASM (normal mode), and would say this is slightly firmer.



    That makes sense. I've driven a non PASM Cayman on 18" and that was fairly firm, especially at low speed

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    416881 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327479 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost
     
     
     
     
     
    214774 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/19/19 5:47 PM
    GnilM
    212209 2765
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/19/19 5:48 PM
    WhoopsyM
    138745 2521
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/19/19 7:32 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    40870 569
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39340 383
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    15042 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14311 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/17/19 3:54 PM
    Lars997M
    4328 43
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3565 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485793 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    308591 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284635 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/7/19 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    271934 2653
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    194406 1789
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193129 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188320 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155637 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144031 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112558 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107380 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/19/19 7:33 PM
    Pentium
    94487 1316
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68124 673
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57972 423
    Others Tesla Roadster 1/19/19 2:16 PM
    CGX car nut
    51322 1568
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    47865 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43256 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    42737 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40286 472
    274 items found, displaying 1 to 30.