Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Dr Walliser has a new job.

olli:

All valid and interesting points. Bottom line is still that, for now, no Porsche hypercar challenger is on the horizon.

With a looming speed limit in Germany, "emotional" cars become more and more important. I would prefer a Huracan Performante or Aventador SVJ over any current hypercar (with the exception of the 918 and La Ferrari maybe) anytime. What is any hypercar good if the performance peak is at speeds over 200 kph? Smiley Look at the 720S for example, probably the cheapest hypercar on the market. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:

With a looming speed limit in Germany, "emotional" cars become more and more important. I would prefer a Huracan Performante or Aventador SVJ over any current hypercar (with the exception of the 918 and La Ferrari maybe) anytime. What is any hypercar good if the performance peak is at speeds over 200 kph? Smiley Look at the 720S for example, probably the cheapest hypercar on the market. 

Well... what "good" it is is not important. It is technology development, demonstrator... For the company, these cars are as important for them as a platform to push the technology boundaries as they are for the customer as ultimate driving machines. You'll see that these cars often are used to explore the possibilities of the most anticipated technology at the point in time when they were penned down. I guess during the 918 development, chosing hybrid was a really brave move. I guess full electric seems to be a bold move now, but may be outdated in 5 years time? I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche would place more ambitious technology on the horizon somewhere during the development of the next hypercar. (Even if it may seem less emotional)

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Joost:
    RC:

Well... what "good" it is is not important. It is technology development, demonstrator... For the company, these cars are as important for them as a platform to push the technology boundaries as they are for the customer as ultimate driving machines. You'll see that these cars often are used to explore the possibilities of the most anticipated technology at the point in time when they were penned down. I guess during the 918 development, chosing hybrid was a really brave move. I guess full electric seems to be a bold move now, but may be outdated in 5 years time? I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche would place more ambitious technology on the horizon somewhere during the development of the next hypercar. (Even if it may seem less emotional)

I will not be impressed by any electric hypercar, simply because it is technically possible to make a 0-100 kph in 2 seconds (maybe even less, with the proper tire development) EV but it will sound like crap and it will drive like crap, at least in the beginning (until they actually start reducing weights...if it is going to be possible).

10 years ago...oh what the heck...5 years ago, I was a sucker for maximum power but I assume I got older (and wiser Smiley) and straight line performance isn't that important anymore, the emotional part (sound, drive feel, handling, driving noises, etc.) is much more important because it can be enjoyed even at lower speeds.

I really recommend to drive a Huracan Performante: It is not only the engine/exhaust sound which impresses but also the shifting noise (in Corsa), and the handling. Everything just fits together in a perfect (emotional) harmony, it is difficult to describe. I have driven (or was driven in) many different super sports cars and hypercars but so far, the Performante is just incredible, especially for it's price tag. One example, there are others. Or do you really think a GT3 RS can be replaced by an EV, even if it is faster? I doubt it.

With EVs, the individual car will die a slow death. Sad but inevitable.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I am not really sold on electric yet.

It is just as heavy, if not heavier than a hybrid.

A hybrid in electric mode will do anything a pure electric can, with the added benefit of providing engine sound if one needed. And those are sexy engine sound, see Panamera Turbo S and 918. It will do the same zero emission as a EV in the city emission control zones, and it will also provide driving enjoyment on B roads with the real engine sound.

A pure electric might have longer 'standard' range, but a hybrid has the gasoline engine to recharge the battery on the fly, so it does not need to find a socket to charge, it just need to find a gas station, which are plentiful.

A hybrid's performance will not be affected by temperature as much, the powerful gas engine will propel the car quick enough without the electric assist.

One more thing, EVs currently right now are dangerous cars as they are soundless. With the modern generation addicted to electronic devices, they are always texting or engaging on their phones, they are not looking around for traffic. Conventional cars at least have engine sound for them to notice, EVs are impossible for them to hear and are silent assassins to them.

I was watching the Formula E and I-Pace race that was just in the Middle East, there is no excitement to the race, all one hears is the brake squeal, the most unsexy sound on earth. The race probably would be more entertaining if the cars put out ice cream truck sound.

--

This to me, is the only way that FE becomes interesting:

1. Eliminate spec chassis and body work.
    2. Power to go to 400kw
    3. Weight to stay the same (800kg with driver)
    4. Start using normal tracks
    5. Races extended to 1 hour.
    6. Wider tires to improve mechanical grip and looks.

If memory serves me well they run on street tires..............

--

Whoopsy:

If they do (and I haven't a clue) they need to stop doing that too.

they run on standard Michelin Pilot Sport  4S

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Yes, apparently they are obsessed with "road car" relevance. The only problem for me,  is that if I wanted to watch "road cars" I can go and sit in the traffic.I want to watch racing cars, not road car clones. Oh well.yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CmQ40BLbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTg_3KwHw20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbVRBMA25Q

It would seems they are called Michelin Pilot Sport EV.

Tread pattern is from the Cup2, maybe they use a different compound than street tires for the EV version.

Or they just rebadged the Cup2 as the EV

Either way. they are only using 2 set of tires for the day. Rain or Dry.

--

used to be standard 4S yes unless the standard 4s are only for the rain 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Spyderidol:

Yes, apparently they are obsessed with "road car" relevance. The only problem for me,  is that if I wanted to watch "road cars" I can go and sit in the traffic.I want to watch racing cars, not road car clones. Oh well.yes

Smiley Smiley

--

Spyderidol:
    Whoopsy:

If they do (and I haven't a clue) they need to stop doing that too.

They don’t change tires during the race, hence they use one tire for all conditions. Marketingwise it might be beneficial for the tire manufacturer as well...

I think it has to do with cost savings (although they of course market it as lowering the "environmental footprint of the series" and other gobbledygook excuses) . The latest trend is to go racing on what looks to the outside world as a "shoe string budget". It's very PC and is supposed to guarantee sustainability. They (the regulators) are trying to break free from the boom and bust cycle that has been a feature of racing for decade upon decade. The result is this very watered down type of racing , that to old goats like me, is as about as interesting as watching paint dry.

As for tyres: Don't get me wrong; I have nothing against using one set of tyres for the entire race. They just don't have to be road relevant. After-all, they do one stint of 11 laps at Le Mans (~150Km) on one set of tyres quite easily. Often they will double stint and even triple stint their tyres, so there is no reason that proper racing tyres cant last a full 45 minute FE race.

I posted this before but will do so again. A sport car powered solely by electricity will mark the end of sport cars. There really isn't any point to them if you don't have the sound and fury of driving fast. They become more a means of transportation and nothing else. 

--

Stress is man made.

Valid point !

nberry:

I posted this before but will do so again. A sport car powered solely by electricity will mark the end of sport cars. There really isn't any point to them if you don't have the sound and fury of driving fast. They become more a means of transportation and nothing else. 

This is exactly my point. This is also the reason why I think that petrol engine run sports cars will survive the first wave of "electrification" and they will keep their (sentimental and "classic") value for some time in the future.

Yes, there will be EVs doing 0-60 in 2 seconds flat, maybe even faster and yes, they will be fast as hell on the track too after some development cycles (new battery tech could lower weight, improve other things) and with new electric engines/drivetrains but in the end, they will be boring as hell, even if manufacturers will add, at some point, some artificial sounds (jet-like, not very loud but noticeable, whatever).

Not a very bright future for us sportscars lovers. Smiley

People who love "emotional" cars should get them rather now than later because at some point, they won't be available anymore, at least not new and the used ones could get pretty expensive and/or will hold their value.

I am talking cars like Porsche GT n/a models, Lamborghini V10/V12 n/a models, Ferrari V8/V12 n/a models, Aston Martin n/a V8/V12 models, even Audi V8/V10 n/a models and others. 

--

"The last car built on earth will surely be a sports car." - Ferry Porsche

Maybe we should change this to last petrol engine car... indecision kiss

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    416753 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327421 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost

214739 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/14/19 3:36 PM
    Kobalt
    211733 2753
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/18/19 3:41 PM
    RCA
    138209 2514
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/18/19 7:44 PM
    trip
    40004 552
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39290 383
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    15022 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14303 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/17/19 3:54 PM
    Lars997M
    4279 43
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3549 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485732 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    308400 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284562 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/7/19 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    271897 2653
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 8:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    194337 1789
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193106 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188271 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155577 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    144014 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112543 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107357 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/18/19 7:29 PM