Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    According to the February issue of Panorama (the magazine of the Porsche Club of America) the 1998 model of the 997 will get direct injection and an optional dual-clutch transmission and the 997S will have 370HP.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    A spy pic of the 1998 Carrera:
    http://www.marque.com.au/usedcars/images/1998%20Porsche%20911%20Carrera%204%20Coupe.jpg


    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    964C2 said:
    According to the February issue of Panorama (the magazine of the Porsche Club of America) the 1998 model of the 997 will get direct injection and an optional dual-clutch transmission and the 997S will have 370HP.


    15hp increase is pretty lame...

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Hopefully the flux capacitor I installed on my 2007 C2S will help me travel back to 1998 to purchase the updated Carrera.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Correct. That is the new 2008 facelift model.
    That should shut the naysayers on this board who were denying a facelift as an 08 model. The new car should start appearing in the US showrooms late this Fall.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    brunner said:
    A spy pic of the 1998 Carrera:
    http://www.marque.com.au/usedcars/images/1998%20Porsche%20911%20Carrera%204%20Coupe.jpg





    I'm pretty sure he's the writer...


    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Crash, you crack me up. You must have a huge database of that stuff.....keep it coming.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    deddie said:
    Hopefully the flux capacitor I installed on my 2007 C2S will help me travel back to 1998 to purchase the updated Carrera.


    At least I had the "8" correct....of course I meant 2008.
    It was one of those "senior" moments.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Only 15 Hp more would be VERY VERY dissapointing...
    Should I consider an M3 insted of the facelift ?

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Only 15 Hp more would be VERY VERY dissapointing...
    Should I consider an M3 insted of the facelift ?



    An M3 will NEVER be comparable to a 911.

    Although all M3 were tested against their particular 911 opponent, this has always been pure journalist nonsense of the motor press.
    M3 is a beefed up BMW 3series (though a good car), 911 is a Porsche and a real sportscar.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Only 15 Hp more would be VERY VERY dissapointing...
    Should I consider an M3 insted of the facelift ?



    An M3 will NEVER be comparable to a 911.

    Although all M3 were tested against their particular 911 opponent, this has always been pure journalist nonsense of the motor press.
    M3 is a beefed up BMW 3series (though a good car), 911 is a Porsche and a real sportscar.



    I know... I would not get the same driving feeling in an M3, not talking about the product in itself.
    It's just that I would be so disappointed with only 15 HP more, and it would then be hard for me to justify buying the facelift, as I would not get it for its new ' face' but for the power increase and it would enable me to drop the AWD
    M3 rumored to have over 400 HP should push P to make an effort !!!!

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Only 15 Hp more would be VERY VERY dissapointing...
    Should I consider an M3 insted of the facelift ?



    An M3 will NEVER be comparable to a 911.

    Although all M3 were tested against their particular 911 opponent, this has always been pure journalist nonsense of the motor press.
    M3 is a beefed up BMW 3series (though a good car), 911 is a Porsche and a real sportscar.



    I know... I would not get the same driving feeling in an M3, not talking about the product in itself.
    It's just that I would be so disappointed with only 15 HP more, and it would then be hard for me to justify buying the facelift, as I would not get it for its new ' face' but for the power increase and it would enable me to drop the AWD
    M3 rumored to have over 400 HP should push P to make an effort !!!!



    I understand you perfectly. If the facelift will be presented as the spy pics suggest, I wouldn't get the facelift-997 because of the new looks alone either.
    And power output of the M3s has always been a threat to the 911 performance-wise. Seems as if Porsche even now in times of power war and insane power increases stays with their philosophy of modest power hikes.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Correct. That is the new 2008 facelift model.
    That should shut the naysayers on this board who were denying a facelift as an 08 model. The new car should start appearing in the US showrooms late this Fall.



    I have a hard time understanding why some are so convinced of this. Most likely the facelift will be an '09 in my opinion. However , I am not convinced that I am correct. I "think" so , I do not "know" so. But some really seem to be able to predict the future.

    Here is someone stating 07 and 08 will be the same saying the CEO of Porsche said so:
    http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=953410&postcount=7

    Let's wait and see !

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Seems as if Porsche even now in times of power war and insane power increases stays with their philosophy of modest power hikes.



    As you say Porsche has never been the company looking for the highest BHP number. And still it is the worlds most successful sports car company. I think they are doing OK
    The word "war" and "insane" in your sentence says it all. I for one do not need to have a Porsche which will be the number one car at the bar/cafe/pub. I prefer to have the number one car in driving pleasure. And driving pleasure is what Porsche is all about.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    If Dr. W. had announced that the FL was coming this Fall, sales would have dropped on the spot. That's why we should never trust what a CEO says about his company's products.

    And yet, the post you quoted raises doubts. Did he lie to his sales force (so that they could lie to prospective customers without knowing it, i.e. convincingly)?
    Or was it just some Clinton-style finessing that might conceal that the styling might be unchanged, but the content might get an upgrade?
    If so, then all the better. I prefer the current front end anyway.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Only 15 Hp more would be VERY VERY dissapointing...
    Should I consider an M3 insted of the facelift ?



    An M3 will NEVER be comparable to a 911.

    Although all M3 were tested against their particular 911 opponent, this has always been pure journalist nonsense of the motor press.
    M3 is a beefed up BMW 3series (though a good car), 911 is a Porsche and a real sportscar.



    I know... I would not get the same driving feeling in an M3, not talking about the product in itself.
    It's just that I would be so disappointed with only 15 HP more, and it would then be hard for me to justify buying the facelift, as I would not get it for its new ' face' but for the power increase and it would enable me to drop the AWD
    M3 rumored to have over 400 HP should push P to make an effort !!!!



    Gnil, forget the M3, you will not like her "Banglaries" .
    Carlos

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Look for the '07 to carry over into 1Q08 and for the FL MY09 to arrive 2Q08. There may not be a MY08. Ala Cayenne for MY07. This is pure speculation on my part but there will be huge demand for the FL and the 18 month production run is a good fit. It is also very economical (and profitable), exactly the way Dr. W. likes it.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Quote:
    mvd said:
    Look for the '07 to carry over into 1Q08 and for the FL MY09 to arrive 2Q08. There may not be a MY08. Ala Cayenne for MY07. This is pure speculation on my part but there will be huge demand for the FL and the 18 month production run is a good fit. It is also very economical (and profitable), exactly the way Dr. W. likes it.



    OK I'll go with that. The face lift will be in showrooms any time between Fall 07 and Spring 08 - but no later than that. This is the same calendar as the 996 face lift.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    I still believe that Porsche will introduce the facelift a full year after they launch the Turbo Cab and the GT2. Which would put all this hot air a good year and a half away. Call it Fall 08 for MY 09.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    They're still doing quite well selling the unaltered 997s. Porsche expects to sell 36,000 911s this year per Christophorus.

    Re: 1998 997S 370HP and dual-clutch

    Porsche is now driven by the bean counters ($) rather than engineers (innovation). They will probably not do any major updating until they forcast/see a slight decrease in sales.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    416551 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327307 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost
     
     
     
     
     
    214669 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/14/19 3:36 PM
    Kobalt
    211397 2753
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/14/19 6:40 PM
    ZahirD
    137779 2510
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39187 383
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/17/19 12:07 PM
    RCA
    38272 510
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14979 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14259 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/16/19 9:48 AM
    RCA
    4101 42
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3508 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485685 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    307980 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284475 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/7/19 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    271783 2653
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 12:00 PM
    RCA
    194069 1784
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193043 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188157 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155466 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143990 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112522 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107330 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/16/19 9:56 AM
    RCA
    93889 1299
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68082 673
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57935 423
    Others Tesla Roadster 1/12/19 11:16 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    51169 1566
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    47801 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43244 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    42711 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40261 472
    274 items found, displaying 1 to 30.