Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Turbo only at weekends

    Just wanna find out from you guys out there whether it is OK to only drive the car once or twice a week. Due to my work schedule and family commitments, I can only drive my Turbo once or twice a week and mostly in the weekends .That means that if I drive the car on a Sunday, i will not than drive the car again until the following sunday.Car is idle for at least 5-6 days in a week. Is this a bad thing ? Is this bad for the engine ? Car has so far clocked up 3000km. Any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Should be just fine

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Quote:
    TurboBat said:
    Just wanna find out from you guys out there whether it is OK to only drive the car once or twice a week. Due to my work schedule and family commitments, I can only drive my Turbo once or twice a week and mostly in the weekends .That means that if I drive the car on a Sunday, i will not than drive the car again until the following sunday.Car is idle for at least 5-6 days in a week. Is this a bad thing ? Is this bad for the engine ? Car has so far clocked up 3000km. Any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers



    A few days or a week for that matter is not bad for the engine or the car. Just be sure you keep the tank topped with fresh fuel. If it was more than a couple of weeks, you might want to consider a battery charger (cigarette lighter type). Keeping the miles low will be good for the resale though!

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    It doesn't matter if you don't drive your car for 5-7 days at a time.

    You may find that the remote key fob doesn't unlock your doors after 7 complete days. You will need to manually turn the key in the driver's door lock then, without opening the door, press the remote once again. Then the locks will open.

    Just do make sure that, if your car sits there for 5-7 days, when you do eventually drive your car, you do use the car for long enough that your coolant temperature reaches normal (i.e. 80C/175F) and that your engine oil also reaches a warm enough level (i.e. 90C/200F) and so that your car battery gets enough of a charging so that it can cope with the next 5-7 days when it just sits there with the alarm/immobiliser etc on.

    You shouldn't develop any flatspots in your tyres in such a short time. But if you do, they will normalise within a short time of driving.

    You may find that, after 5-7 days, when you first release the parking hand brake, it might feel 'slightly attached'. AFAIK, this is just because you used the hand brake 5-7 days ago when everything was still hot. As it cooled, the hand brake can 'stick'. This should detach fine though.

    Your foot brakes (if you have standard brakes and not PCCB) as well may feel like you have a strange contact when you first use them. E.g. you live in Malaysia. I imagine you have sudden tropical rainfall for a few minutes then it's dry and sunny again. If your brake discs were wet when you parked the car for 5-7 days, you may find these humid, wet conditions are perfect for the build up of some brown powdery surface rust on your brake discs. Don't worry. AFAIK, some firm applications of the foot brakes will clean off this brown powdery surface rust.

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Quote:
    TurboBat said:
    Just wanna find out from you guys out there whether it is OK to only drive the car once or twice a week. Due to my work schedule and family commitments, I can only drive my Turbo once or twice a week and mostly in the weekends .That means that if I drive the car on a Sunday, i will not than drive the car again until the following sunday.Car is idle for at least 5-6 days in a week. Is this a bad thing ? Is this bad for the engine ? Car has so far clocked up 3000km. Any feedback is much appreciated. Cheers



    i'm in your same conditions..

    i can use my Turbo only saturday and sunday..

    don't worry..

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    No problem. Just make sure it's a long drive. I.e. one that is long enough to get engine fully heated, oil foaming and as hot as possible for as long as it takes (?) to drive off water and other contaminants. Water and contaminants are byproducts of burning gas; they wind up in the oil circuit and collect there if not evaoprated by heat of driving.

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    I drive mine only twice a month as I am out of town alot and have 5 vehicles. I have a Porsche charger that is plugger in the lighter sucket 24/7, it trickle charges the battery once the charge drops. I also let the car idle for 3-4 minutes as the oil in the engine has completely drained out into the pan.

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    same deal...i do try and drive it to operatioal oil temp once a week ...keep the battery charger plugged in, gas tank topped off...and most of all hoping for a return of weather condusive to blu roads exploration

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    I also normally use my car 2 - 3 times a week and it is not uncommon to go 1 week without a start. I do however drive my car quite a bit when I can and after 2 years my odometer reads close to 14K miles. I read somewhere here on this board that the factory (Porsche) recomends 6000 miles per year. I'm sure your car will not self destruct if you don't get to that level but I think its not bad advice. The head mechanic at my dealership once told me that the cars with the fewest problems are the ones that get driven the most. He didn't get specific but I think his advise is a good one.

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    It's not just getting oil to operating temp. You must also drive it long and hard enough to drive out the water and etc. that has or might have collected.

    I don't know how long that would be but I try to imagine how long oil at 240F would take to boil away a few ounces of water? Not THAT long.

    You can also check your oil cap. If the inside/underside of the cap has "mayonnaise" on it you've got waaaay too much water in the crankcase

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I drive mine only twice a month as I am out of town alot and have 5 vehicles. I have a Porsche charger that is plugger in the lighter sucket 24/7, it trickle charges the battery once the charge drops. I also let the car idle for 3-4 minutes as the oil in the engine has completely drained out into the pan.



    The manual reads that the engine should not be warmed by idling. Anyway, it certainly would not take 3-4 minutes for the oil to lube the critical engine components. There are many posts which support a warm up whilst driving slowly,and not idling. If the car is stored for any period of time, the engine should not be started simply because the owner wants to get oil to the engine. Cold starts (and I don't mean only ambient temperature) are any engines' worst enemy. That's one reason why Porsche wants the owners to keep any cold start to a minimum during break in.

    Also, in addition to the damage done each time the engine is unnecessarily cold started, condensation forms in the oil because, as MMD as already stated, the oil has not reached it's operating temp. for an extended period. I have heard that the engine should be run at operating temperature -while driving- for approx. 20 minutes (+or-). It sounds as though MMD is as anal as I am about his cars and their engines.

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    TurboBat - Zero problems with what you're doing.
    As mentioned above, after about a week, your car goes into hibernation (i.e. energy savings mode) so you're remote unlock will not work. Unlock the door with the KEY and THEN lock/unlock with your remote - otherwise the car alarm might go off !!
    Keep in mind that beauty is meant to be a daily driver - consider taking it to work if possible - every minute I spend in my car is a treat. While my commutes are short, I wouldn't have it any other way.

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Hi Guys,thanks ever so much for all your feedback especially easy_rider 911 which is very detailed!

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    You may find that the remote key fob doesn't unlock your doors after 7 complete days. You will need to manually turn the key in the driver's door lock then, without opening the door, press the remote once again. Then the locks will open.




    Yes, when this happens to me, I take it to be a sign that the car is telling me off for not driving it for so long!

    Re: Turbo only at weekends

    Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:


    Yes, when this happens to me, I take it to be a sign that the car is telling me off for not driving it for so long!



    Nice that your car actually tells you what's wrong. When mine gets pi**ed after being parked too long, I get the silent treatment.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    416548 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327306 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost
     
     
     
     
     
    214669 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/14/19 3:36 PM
    Kobalt
    211393 2753
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/14/19 6:40 PM
    ZahirD
    137778 2510
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39187 383
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/17/19 12:07 PM
    RCA
    38253 510
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14979 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14259 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/16/19 9:48 AM
    RCA
    4100 42
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3508 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485685 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    307975 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284474 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/7/19 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    271782 2653
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/17/19 12:00 PM
    RCA
    194068 1784
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193043 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188155 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155465 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143989 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112522 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107330 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/16/19 9:56 AM
    RCA
    93888 1299
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    68082 673
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57935 423
    Others Tesla Roadster 1/12/19 11:16 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    51168 1566
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    47801 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    43244 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    42711 605
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    40261 472
    274 items found, displaying 1 to 30.