Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 spy shots Thread Closed

Lars997:

Might be - still think the changes from the 993 to the 996 have been very radical compared to now.

In my view, radically retrograde. Smiley

If the evolutionary steps had been 993 >997>991 it would have been more "Darwinian" in my view.

--

fritz

Wow - I can't disagree with you more Lars!

What I love about 911's is what I love about my (brand new) Fender Strat or my Omega Seamaster: getting better all the time, but still iconic and unchanged.

It doesn't have to have the best top speed or fastest 0-100.  It must be pretty good, but not the best.  It MUST have great dynamics of course, but that's more on the subjective side and no-one would ever dispute that the 911 isn't up there with the best on that front anyway.

In my pack of Top Trumps 30- years ago, I never wanted the Countach - I wanted the 911.  (I wish I still had that pack actually!)

Gismo's, they generally break down or worse - they become totally redundant - like a GPS system that doesn't take upgrades, or those old 2-track tape decks..!  And the only one that I'd like to see in a 911 that isn't (YET) available... is the HUD.

So take the Pajun, I'll continue with my nostalgia thang with a thoroughly modern, constantly evolving, more-than-good-enough-for-me, if a little quirky, understated but head-turning, dream-come-true, never dates, drive every day (Ferrari - yeah right!), wonderful, unquestionably-great-in-anyone's-books-if-not-the-very-best-on-your-scale, 911...

Re: Porsche 991 GT3 to include GT1 motorsport engine... Thread Closed

Ron (Houston):

I heard Aug 2 is the day for the media to release the images.  Let's hope that is true.

Where did you heard that? There´s no news on the net yet Smiley

As to the new 991, I think we should waite and see the car in real life in different colors , wheels and specs. The interior seems to be an improvement over 997, the new lower & wide stance will make it look sportier so I believe it will be a great looking and modern car.

If you tell me that I would prefer Porsche to go further on design inovation I would say clearly YES, I wish the new 991 could be be even lower and a bit more radical overall, but I believe this new 991 to be a hell of a car, and those who are bashing it right now, will slave for it few months from now Smiley

J.Seven

BTW....the last one seems to be Carrera.The previous ones looks Carrera's S....We are able to see diffirent exhaust tail pipes.1312281804359image.png.jpgimage2.png.jpg

--

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

2007 997 GT3

2006 Mercedes G500

1993 964 Turbo (Sold)

Ron (Houston):

I heard Aug 2 is the day for the media to release the images.  Let's hope that is true.

Smiley Today?? I heard 24th August.

I hope today is the day!!!! Smiley

J.Seven:
     .... and those who are bashing it right now, will slave for it few months from now Smiley

no doubt - my bashing doesnt mean that I like it, just wanted to have it more radical. And yes - of course, I will probably get one sooner or later, too. But - I can wait longer than I expected - I dont have the "I need to have it and I need to have it now feeling".

Lars997:
    fritz:
    Lars997:

And - just to add one thing - the 996 was clearly inspired by the 959 and the Panamericana prototype of those days. So - where is the inspiration for the 991? The 918, The Carrera GT? Unfortunatley I dont see any of those elements in the car - maybe a bit of the Carrera GT in the tail lights as well the claustrophopic interior.

I think that the fact that the changes made to each new generation of 911 are so "evolutionary" (read "minimal) cause people to over-analyse those changes.

Might be - still think the changes from the 993 to the 996 have been very radical compared to now.

The competitors have been growing enormous over the last couple of years. Every mass producer offers cars in this power range and they have great designs which are in the 2011 era, too. Further on - brands like Aston or Ferrari became drivable and reliable as every day cars. In your cars card deck the 911 will not be a winner anymore - to many other cars are faster, stronger, bigger engine, etc. The technical aspect especially the electronical evolution went strongly further (beside with Porsche) BMW is the clear market leader there.

Its time to bring the clear move forward to catch up in any dimensions. The 991 will be the bit faster, stronger, etc. it needs to compete but already sure - it will not be a leader. Technically the VW influence might help - lets see what comes. The exuse "its a sports car - doesnt need the gimmick" doesnt count in this price range as especially the sports car buyers are gadget boys and they want to have those.

Porsche was living its myth for long - hope it will not completly die in the mass production and product variance. Tthe Panamera and Cayenne - totally de-mythed cars - no special image or focus on the street (maybe some negative but not the little boys dream car). The boxster and Caymen never had it anyway. The cornerstone is the 911 and always will be and if they ruin this then that's it.

They say - legends never die, but hope that the 991 not mutates to an hero as they only get remembered but of course will die some day!

I respect your opinion Lars, but I'm afraid you're extremely far off from the truth. Competitors, are faster and stronger? Maybe some faster slightly, though a Porsche isn't about going as fast as possible. Anyway, a 991 C2S will get you around the 'ring faster than nearly every other car it competes with, so they obviously didn't fail in that section.

You also mention the competitors are "stronger". I don't know how you reasoned that one. The nearly 3 years this thread has been going on (and even two years before that) Porsche has been hard at work on the new 911. They covered more miles of road, and piled on more abuse than any owner ever will, in any car. I bet the 991 has undergone more testing, research, and development than have the DBS, V8 Vantage, Virage, DB9, California, and M3 combined. 

Yes, the competitors may have bigger engines, but since when was that necessary in a 911? Also you say BMW is the tech leader, but to be honest, I hat nearly every car they offer right now because of that reason. A Porsche's firs priority isn't luxurious technology. It's about performance and emotion, though certain technologies apply there.

It's almost as if you're saying, alright, the 991 has a slightly new design, electric power steering, and a more powerful engine. That's it and that's all, besides that they failed in every other area, horribly. But honestly, that's as far off base as can be. None of the car's major mechanical features have even been announced, and you're saying the car is a failure already. And you also think the design isn't radical enough, but that's just the point. That is why 911s stand the test of time

But you are right in saying the 991 won't be a leader... It will be the benchmark!

I'm sure you've noticed, but I think you've forgotten and need to be reminded of just how hard Porsche tests their cars. Just think about their Panamera and Cayenne, Boxster and Cayman development, all of their motorsports development, and most importantly, and perhaps most intensively, the 911 development.

Lars, with all due respect (I honestly have much respect for you, don't take this post personally) I think you have forgotten what "911" means.

Amin Carrara!

Guys, hopefully, the wait will be over soon and the actual launch photos and car specification will come out ... then we can all have a proper discussion on the actual capabilities of the car and whether it has met or not met expectations

Right now, it's so hard to form judgements on camouflaged spyshots, photoshop renderings and media speculation ...

IMvHO the intricate analysis that guys here are doing of every photo and article reflects just how eagerly they are waiting for this new launch. After all, it is not the launch of just any car. It is a new 911 Smiley

I'm confident RC and other valuable members of Rennteam will be doing their absolute best to get their hands on all the important information as soon as possible SmileySmiley

I have no doubt that Rennteam is going to be a very busy place for many people searching for accurate information in the days and weeks to come

Thanks to everyone here for taking part in the discussion so far .... the good news is that the best is still to come

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Well said Carrara....

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

easy_rider911:

Guys, hopefully, the wait will be over soon and the actual launch photos and car specification will come out ... then we can all have a proper discussion on the actual capabilities of the car and whether it has met or not met expectations

Right now, it's so hard to form judgements on camouflaged spyshots, photoshop renderings and media speculation ...

IMvHO the intricate analysis that guys here are doing of every photo and article reflects just how eagerly they are waiting for this new launch. After all, it is not the launch of just any car. It is a new 911 Smiley

I'm confident RC and other valuable members of Rennteam will be doing their absolute best to get their hands on all the important information as soon as possible SmileySmiley

I have no doubt that Rennteam is going to be a very busy place for many people searching for accurate information in the days and weeks to come

Thanks to everyone here for taking part in the discussion so far .... the good news is that the best is still to come

And this will start... when?... today? Smiley Smiley

I don't understand, why RC is so silent in the recent days/weeks...?

pjd: If it were today, it would have already happened. Porsche typically doe their press on the last three days of the working week, so we might see it very soon. However, I still think we'll have to wait until the 24th.

usually there are leaks a few days before the offical date also

Carrara:

pjd: If it were today, it would have already happened. Porsche typically doe their press on the last three days of the working week, so we might see it very soon. However, I still think we'll have to wait until the 24th.

Smiley Let`s wait... Smiley

@Carrara:

thank you for your post. I respect every points you made.

I for sure know the ring times and always been a fan of having a smaller engine than others and still be faster. The qualtiy for sure is extremly high and the car is and will be something special.

As I said before - I will love the 991 and will get one sooner or later. Just for me the "want to have factor" is lower than with the other models before. It might be that I'm aged or it might be that I'm just found lot of fun and passion in the retro cars which I spend more time and money than before.

Anyway - I'm still a little boy and whenever I was fascinated with a toy I needed to have it. I've seen the 991 many times on the street yet and it is just a modified 997 in my eyes. Of course - the technology is for sure improved and most important - the speed will be enormous. I was writing earlier in the thread when I had an accelerating 991 ahead of me and gosh - that car was sooo fast. So, I have to wait and drive that beast to get the sparkle back, lookwise it didnt catch me yet. And yes - I know that surprise around the front and tail lights and let me tell you - it doesnt make that much difference to the overall apperance.

To be honest - I'm very happy to read that I'm on myself with this opinion. Its good to hear and see that the fascination and myth of the 911 will still live on with the 991. Especially, coming out of the region where many people live for and from it, its good to see that the company will have its success going on.

I'm almost sure you'll change your opinion when the car comes out Lars.

While I agree with you that the retro cars are more pure, and probably more exciting and emotional, but the 991 is no failure at all, and no, the sky isn't falling. Besides what's wrong with an updated 997? Porsche hit the nail on the head with that design, so anything more than evolution design wise would be a failure.

I bet you're just tired of seeing so many damn spyshots, as we all are!

Boyko23:

If I remember correctly, RC is on holiday with his family sometime in August ... c'mon, give the guy a break SmileySmiley

--

997.1 C2S
     GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:
    Boyko23:

If I remember correctly, RC is on holiday with his family sometime in August ... c'mon, give the guy a break SmileySmiley

OK, but he is very active in other threads... Smiley

pjd:
    Ron (Houston):

Smiley Today?? I heard 24th August.

I hope today is the day!!!! Smiley

I thought Kreso1 said August 2.  May be I am mistaking

--
    Happy Driving

I am permanently checking this thread everyday !!! LOL, I am sure RC has seen the real thing in photos, and probably many other top rennteamers too. It is always an EPIC day everytime Porsche launches official photos of a new 911...CANT WAIT !!!!!!
    --

I can still remember the official 997 presshots, red and yellow carrera and carreraS.  Good times.

I believe you raise some great points. Though I very much like Porsche, I still get the feeling it is like an old shoe which gets resoled every few years. I know the justification for this incrementalism is evolution, nevertheless in my view it is boring.

Yet, what makes the car attractive is price point. For the money, it is difficult to beat the car considering the build quality and performance. 

--

They may be holding off due to the stock levels of the GTS. I know they are easy to come by here in new york and I suppose they will have a much harder time selling them once the new car is announced.

Lars and Nick, I share your view about the 991, especially seeing the one in silver.  Silver tends to "dull down" lines and appeal (IMHO).  But the car--in total appearance and performance--may well combine to make something truly exciting.  Wider hips, bright colors, power, new wheels and interior--the package could well come together and be a knockout.  Porsche needs this car to be great--let's hope it is.

Also, let's remember we have analyzed this car to death--in a sense taken its wow factor away.  I am going to press days at Frankfurt and I will give folks a honest report with pics and video. 

The rummored  launched in the US is  January or Feburary 2012 for the coupes. Cabs are due sometime in late spring.  No date hase been announced when the dealers will receive their stock. The dealers are currently receiving model year 2012 997.2s. So the 991s look like they will be 2013 model year cars.  I am sure Porsche is managing inventory very tighly during the transition.

--

2006 997 C2S Cab, Triple Black,  2006 Cayenne Titanium Iceland Silver Metalic New York

Lars997:
    J.Seven:
     .... and those who are bashing it right now, will slave for it few months from now Smiley

no doubt - my bashing doesnt mean that I like it, just wanted to have it more radical. And yes - of course, I will probably get one sooner or later, too. But - I can wait longer than I expected - I dont have the "I need to have it and I need to have it now feeling".

We are exactly on the same boat Lars Smiley

J.Seven

Wonderbar ,  I am eagerly waiting for your report and pics./ video  -  thanks in advance      Smiley

bobr:

The rummored  launched in the US is  January or Feburary 2012 for the coupes. Cabs are due sometime in late spring.  No date hase been announced when the dealers will receive their stock. The dealers are currently receiving model year 2012 997.2s. So the 991s look like they will be 2013 model year cars.  I am sure Porsche is managing inventory very tighly during the transition.

This is almost what I was told at the dealer (about the 2012s being 997.2) except that since porsche will not make any model 2013 units we will not be seeing the car till mid 2013 as a 2014 model. I took it with a grain of salt.

Dealers will receive their launch 991 coupes in Jan - Feb and suspect the cabs will arrive in May for June launch.  I think dealers will see customer cars - 991 coupes  in April. We will certainly know more come this September.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 1/3/19 8:54 AM
    Porker
    416507 5218
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/30/18 7:55 PM
    RCA
    327293 2018
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost

214666 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 1/14/19 3:36 PM
    Kobalt
    211348 2753
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 1/14/19 6:40 PM
    ZahirD
    137752 2510
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 1/16/19 10:53 PM
    Leawood911
    39145 383
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 1/17/19 7:26 AM
    Mikla
    37977 505
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14976 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    14258 35
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 992 Carrera Cabriolet 1/16/19 9:48 AM
    RCA
    4072 42
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 718 T (Boxster & Cayman) 12/29/18 7:17 PM
    spudgun
    3506 27
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 1/4/19 7:02 PM
    Topspeed
    485671 4255
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    307912 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 12/31/18 2:19 AM
    DJM48
    284462 2598
    Porsche Cayman GT4 1/7/19 7:33 PM
    Carlos from SpainM
    271765 2653
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 1/15/19 6:18 PM
    Enmanuel
    193994 1782
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    193041 1074
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 1/14/19 8:04 PM
    TB993tt
    188142 3331
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/17/18 12:42 PM
    RCA
    155439 2491
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143985 757
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    112521 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    107326 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 1/16/19 9:56 AM