Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help on Specs for my order

Hi Guys

I'm about to finalize me order for a CaymanS. I have chosen the following specs and would appreciate your comments and advice on my selection. I'm pretty much convinced with most of the options except the PCCB. Even though I have tried the PCCB, I'm really confused whether I should get it or not.

Seal Grey / Black
    P74 Bi-xenon Lighting System
    267 Automatic dimming int/ext mirrors
    XCZ Sports shifter
    475 PASM
    640 Sports Chrono package
    XLF Sport Exhaust
    403 19" Carrera S wheel
    483 Tire Pressure monitoring
    P77 Sport Seats - Leather
    435 3 Spoke Sport Steering wheel -leather
    XSC Porsche Crest Embossed in Headrest
    XX1 Floor Mats
    XXZ Foot rest Aluminum
    680 Bose Sound System
    450 Ceramic Breaks (PCCB)

Re: Help on Specs for my order

Looks like you option list price + price of the car should bring you close to a base 997S, right?

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Looks like you option list price + price of the car should bring you close to a base 997S, right?

Touche.

Says it all really.

JZ

What is the purpose for you with this vehicle (track, daily driver, weekend car)? I agree with Ron - if you order so many options, you might be better off with a 997 or even a GT3 (depending on your use).

Do Boxsters and Caymans(men) ever have the X51 powerkit option or is that just for the 911?

I'm not going to place any order until I see/drive the car. That may be well into next year, but that's okay. However, in terms of what I had in mind if I decide to go through with an order, I would include the PASM, Sport chrono, sport steering wheel possibly the sport seats. I believe that the full leather may be standard, but if not I would want to add that. I had planned to stay with the standard 18" Cayman S wheels. I would definitely keep the car right at $70K USD which is well below even a standard 997 with modest optional specs. I want to hear the standard exhaust note prior to purchasing the sport exhaust (assuming its available in US) since several reports seem to suggest the sound is already rather aggressive. I am still considering paint to sample, but it's possible that there may be a new color that appeals to me. Any plans I have for DE or AutoX would be very modest and the steel brakes I am certain are more than adequate, so PCCB is not on the list. In any case, I am of the belief that if you really have a taste for something and can afford it, what others happen to think should not be a deciding factor. It is of course, worth soliciting opinions to focus one's own thoughts.

I believe that I would pass on the PCCB's, in that I don't feel that the additional cost is worth the weight savings or performance bonus. I agree with Dave in that I plan to keep the price right around $ 70,000.

Quote:
    DaveC said:I would definitely keep the car right at $70K USD which is well below even a standard 997 with modest optional specs.

The Cayman base price is $58k and the 997 is $70k. I think you're getting in danger of adding too many options too, unless you just prefer the Cayman to the 997 (in many ways I do). Of course, you should have your car any way you want it, but if you're rationalizing between the two models and would prefer the 997 price-independent, you might want to think it through a bit longer...

Are order guides available for the Cayman S?

or are you just going off of Boxster Order guide? Is the general consensus that a base Cayman S will have the same base configuration as a Boxster S or do we think some 987S options will be be standard on Cayman?

Re: Are order guides available for the Cayman S?

These options codes aren't quite the same as I've seen. Perhaps they are from the Boxster S list? Or perhaps US codes are different to UK...

It seems full leather is not standard in the Cayman (and quite expensive) - same as Boxster S. Also strange that adaptive sports seats don't appear to be available, although electric and manual sports seats are.

I would question if either PCCB or Bose are really worth getting for a Cayman.

Ron

you are right, about $9000 . . . but am I gonna enjoy the basic 997S without the options I like? But you make sense . . . I will think about it your way.

Is there a sports chassis option?

Quote:
    AJBoston said:
    or are you just going off of Boxster Order guide? Is the general consensus that a base Cayman S will have the same base configuration as a Boxster S or do we think some 987S options will be be standard on Cayman?

What I have is the actual Cayman S options list for the standard and optional specs.

Quote:
    willr said:
    These options codes aren't quite the same as I've seen. Perhaps they are from the Boxster S list? Or perhaps US codes are different to UK...

It seems full leather is not standard in the Cayman (and quite expensive) - same as Boxster S. Also strange that adaptive sports seats don't appear to be available, although electric and manual sports seats are.

I would question if either PCCB or Bose are really worth getting for a Cayman.

I have seen adoptive seats on the dealer's list, but I dont think it's worth the difference.

How do the standard sound system compares to the Bose?

That is quite an extensive list of options! But seriously, it depends on what you use this car for as someone else has mentioned. If it is purely for the road with the occasional track days, then normal brakes are more than sufficient. Other than that, the rest of the options are pretty much what I would consider myself. The only other ones I like are the coloured stiching and coloured seat belts.

Wow, quite an option list! If it were me I'd be going for a 997S instead......unless (as others have noted) you are in love with the mid-engined Cayman.

You can probably find a 997S with some options at a discount, but a Cayman will be MSRP for a while.....just something to think about.

@ rfakhri---> do you have word or .pdf file of cayman s options list? I'm searching it
    I read on EVO mag that the Cayman S has an exhaust soundtrack on outside, and very explicit in the cabin.
    Do you really need XLF on Cayman????

Stark raving mad spending that amount on options. My eyes are watering at the thought of the depreciation you will suffer at trade-in time as well. A base 997s would be better in almost every respect. And you get a lot of the optional items on the Cayman as standard on the 997s. PASM, xenon lights, 19" wheels, sport steering wheel, PCM, full leather (here in the UK anyway).

Personally I would add navigation but that depends on where you live. Drop the PCCB as everybody else suggest and change the wheels to the 19" sportdesign. There was a thread which included pictures, and these wheels are in my opinion a must have - just prepare for some serious cleaning or buy a high preassure cleaner and do it once a week.

Quote:
    rfakhri said:
    I have seen adoptive seats on the dealer's list, but I dont think it's worth the difference.

Interesting that you have seen adaptive sports seats on the list - what option code are they for the Cayman, and how much do they cost?
    I specced up a Cayman with my dealer last week and he did not have adaptive sports seats as an option to sell, even when I asked for them!

It's difficult to be sure what the sound systems will be like in the Cayman, but I was quite disappointed with the quality of Bose in a Boxster (far inferior to Bose in my 996)

standard 18"

I think the Cayman standard 18" look the best.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    That is quite an extensive list of options! But seriously, it depends on what you use this car for as someone else has mentioned. If it is purely for the road with the occasional track days, then normal brakes are more than sufficient. Other than that, the rest of the options are pretty much what I would consider myself. The only other ones I like are the coloured stiching and coloured seat belts.

I think I will drop the PCCB. It will be a daily driver mostly and may be some tracking day as you said. . . . thanks

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Wow, quite an option list! If it were me I'd be going for a 997S instead......unless (as others have noted) you are in love with the mid-engined Cayman.

You can probably find a 997S with some options at a discount, but a Cayman will be MSRP for a while.....just something to think about.

It is really hard to get a used 997 here where I live and if I drop the PCCB on my order I will be around $17K away from the base 997S. But anyway, this is something to keep in mind if I can get a slightly used 997S.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    @ rfakhri---> do you have word or .pdf file of cayman s options list? I'm searching it
    I read on EVO mag that the Cayman S has an exhaust soundtrack on outside, and very explicit in the cabin.
    Do you really need XLF on Cayman????

I have .xls file for the options, which looks like a cut and paste from other complete dealer document. With regards to the XLF, no matter how load the original sound is, I still think the XLF will be more fun . . . it will be my music box

Quote:
    willr said:
    Quote:
    rfakhri said:

Interesting that you have seen adaptive sports seats on the list - what option code are they for the Cayman, and how much do they cost?
    I specced up a Cayman with my dealer last week and he did not have adaptive sports seats as an option to sell, even when I asked for them!

It's difficult to be sure what the sound systems will be like in the Cayman, but I was quite disappointed with the quality of Bose in a Boxster (far inferior to Bose in my 996)

P01 Adaptive sports seats- Leather are around $2600.

About the Bose, I'm not really a fan of music systems, but what I'm worried about that the base will really disappoint me

Try this link <www.autocarrera.com/attachments/hin_en_2006.pdf>

I'm sure the Cayman S will be a cracking car to drive and am also beginning to like the look aswell, however faced with the same decision myself whether to save PoundsPoundsPounds and go for the Cayman S over the 997 C2 a few months back, as the base price of Pounds44k plus options is quite close to 997 base price I don't see sense in going for one. For Pounds55k in early Jan 06, I could net myself a bargain in the form of a 996 Turbo, GT3 or C4S so for me it just doesn't make any sense going for the Cayman S.

Just my 2cents

But don't let my opinions cloud your judgment, it's a Porsche at the end of the day, it's bound to be a great car

Thank you all for your views, you've been a great help. I will soon let you know my final decision.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/15/18 10:01 AM
    Na Mezger
    409175 5202
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/13/18 8:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    324162 2007
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost

213195 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/14/18 5:41 AM
    the-missile
    198805 2680
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 12/14/18 9:21 PM
    GnilM
    127843 2441
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 12/6/18 3:34 PM
    RCA
    34176 321
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 12/15/18 10:52 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    19818 313
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14418 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    13860 35
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    527330 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    484256 4254
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    297109 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    281113 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/29/18 3:41 PM
    xpto
    266896 2622
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    192195 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/26/18 11:32 AM
    Rossi
    191883 1768
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 12/16/18 12:59 AM
    RCA
    183698 3290
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/16/18 12:50 AM
    RCA
    151826 2485
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143248 757
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    129013 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111998 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM