Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    5mm and 17mm spacers

    I have tried to search this topic, knowing that it has been addressed previously, but have been unable to find it.

    Can anyone tell what experience they have had regarding the use of the Porsche 5mm and 17mm wheel spacers. From what I understand, the 5mm spacers are a nice compliment to the standard wheels on a 997S. (I do realize that the spacing is very subtle). I am uncertain though, as to when the 17mm ones are prefered. I plan to put them on my newly acquired '06 997 C4S Cab. I am hoping that the 5mm ones will add a nice look, especially to the rear, with those 305mm tires and the wide body.

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    It's my understanding that the 5mm are more of a cosmetic or appearance issue. The 17mm spacers are to take different wheels (of a lessor offset) and move them out to where they truly belong for the C4 versions of the car.

    The question with the 5mm is,--can you really SEE 5mm? Since you have a C4S cab you may need the 17mm spacers along with a different offset rear wheel.

    Dan

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    devo said:
    I have tried to search this topic, knowing that it has been addressed previously, but have been unable to find it.

    Can anyone tell what experience they have had regarding the use of the Porsche 5mm and 17mm wheel spacers. From what I understand, the 5mm spacers are a nice compliment to the standard wheels on a 997S. (I do realize that the spacing is very subtle). I am uncertain though, as to when the 17mm ones are prefered. I plan to put them on my newly acquired '06 997 C4S Cab. I am hoping that the 5mm ones will add a nice look, especially to the rear, with those 305mm tires and the wide body.



    The 17mm spacers were used by Porsche to mount non-Turbo 996 wheels to the latters wider track . They were never intended by Porsche to be bought by owners merely to push the wheels of a narrow body 996 outward - you'd end up with premature wheel bearing failure , reduce the effective spring rate , add an extra 1-2 pounds unsprung weight per corner,and upset the limit handling as programmed into the PSM, among other things .

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    The question with the 5mm is,--can you really SEE 5mm?



    Exactly what I was going to say too! 5mm is next to nothing. I find it so funny when people say the 5mm spacers "reeeeally made a visual difference!"

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    The question with the 5mm is,--can you really SEE 5mm?



    Exactly what I was going to say too! 5mm is next to nothing. I find it so funny when people say the 5mm spacers "reeeeally made a visual difference!"



    I added 7mm spacers to the rear, and I could see the difference. My brother saw the car immediately before and after -- he saw the difference, too. Not a drastic difference by any means, but a difference nonetheless.

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    2mm is not much per se but 7mm is 40% more than 5mm and maybe 7mm is just enough for the effect of the spacers to become more easily noticeable so I don't dispute what you say Weasel

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Weasel
    What was the end result of the 7mm spacers on the rear? Better / worse handling, ride quality, etc.
    Ron

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    The 17mm spacers are usually used to compensate for a narrowbody offset wheel being mounted on a widebody. For example the Carrera Sport rear wheel only comes with an offset of 67mm. To use this on the C4 whcih ususally has a rear wheel offset of 51mm you have to add the 17mm spacer to effectively get from 67mm to 51mm. Also the Porsche 17mm spacers attach to the hub with lugbolts and then the wheel mounts to the spacer studs with lug nuts.

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    2mm is not much per se but 7mm is 40% more than 5mm and maybe 7mm is just enough for the effect of the spacers to become more easily noticeable so I don't dispute what you say Weasel



    I agree that the 5mm spacers will make a very minimal difference. Making it 7mm won't be big change either. Subtle differences, although not readily visible to the untrained eye can many times make the effort worth it. The only reason I am even considring it is because my car will be going to the shop to add PSE. I found the spacers from another dealer at a nicely discounted price so my cost will also be minimal. Imo, worst case scenario, they won't be noticed. But, you also have to consider that from the rear the wide body of a C4S with the standard 305's and 10mm of total width improvement will likely look just a bit more aggressive. There is a fine line between adding too much, but judging from your experience, I would think that the 7mm's are just right; anything more would probably bring the wheels out too far. Are these from Techart?

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    I put the 5mm spacers on a while ago because I was told they would make a difference.
    I can't honestly say that I saw or felt any at all and I doubt that adding 2 more mm will be noticeable either .

    About the only thing I think worth mentioning is that the 5mm Porsche spacers come with longer bolts , 4 of which are "lockable" and you get a dedicated socket with them ,just like the original wheels .
    If that's important, I would just get the 5mm spacers for that reason alone. That, and they are by Porsche .So there should be no wheel balancing problems like some have experienced with other aftermarket products.

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    I've got 17mm spacers back on my C2S and the difference is more than noticable. Especially in combination with -20mm where the tires are closer to the wheelarch.

    I remember last time when I did park my car beside an ordinary C2S without -20mm and without spacers.. everybody thought that the ordinary c2s looked silly... so even granny would have told the difference! In front I just have 5mm spacers though which looks pretty good, but in the back it's better...

    Regards to driving experience with or without spacers I can't tell the difference.. I have had the spacers on my car since beginning so I can't make a direct comparison.. But I have driven C2S without spacers but it's difficult to compare when you not drive the car at the limit + that the spec. is not identical.. (my car got pccb, etc).

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    Dan L said:
    The question with the 5mm is,--can you really SEE 5mm? Since you have a C4S cab you may need the 17mm spacers along with a different offset rear wheel.

    Dan


    I know that some here said they can see the difference, but if my MM to IN conversion is right, I have to wonder how much difference there is using the 5mm or 7mm spacers.

    5mm = .1959 inches
    7mm = .2756 inches
    (Hardly seems worth the effort)
    17mm = .6693 inches
    (This should be noticable)

    I don't know, I guess I would have to see a car with the 5mm or 7mm spacers next to one without to see if I could see a difference.

    Phil

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    Lukas said:
    I've got 17mm spacers back on my C2S and the difference is more than noticable. Especially in combination with -20mm where the tires are closer to the wheelarch.

    I remember last time when I did park my car beside an ordinary C2S without -20mm and without spacers.. everybody thought that the ordinary c2s looked silly... so even granny would have told the difference! In front I just have 5mm spacers though which looks pretty good, but in the back it's better...

    Regards to driving experience with or without spacers I can't tell the difference.. I have had the spacers on my car since beginning so I can't make a direct comparison.. But I have driven C2S without spacers but it's difficult to compare when you not drive the car at the limit + that the spec. is not identical.. (my car got pccb, etc).



    Lukas, can you provide pics of your car with the 17mm spacers? And, do you know who supplies the 7mm ones; is it Techart?

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Just to add to the confusion... http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/ sell 6mm spacers !


    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Notice Porsche does the right thing with their thicker 17mm spacer : it's first bolted to hub , then wheels are mounted to the spacer with NUTS to the spacer's own STUDS. I've seen fat 15mm aftermarket " donut " spacers where all they did was provide much longer bolts to mount wheels to hub.You can imagine the sheer stress to this long bolt esp with having to pass through TWO interfaces. For safety's sake , I would never go wider than 5 like Porsche , maybe 7 mm aftermarket max with just longer bolts for this reason and be very careful if you track .

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    5mm is just right- I likey subtle ( very subtle in this case).

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    devo said:
    Lukas, can you provide pics of your car with the 17mm spacers? And, do you know who supplies the 7mm ones; is it Techart?



    Sure.. but I have no pics showing it too good. But here are some pictures I took recently

    Regarding the supplier.. I have actually no idea but I can try and check it out. Everything was handled via Porsche Center.

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Pic 2

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Pic 3

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Pic 4

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Your car looks fabulous. I can't really tell if there is much of a difference without a reference. With the 20mm -and, possibly with the help of the spacers, the car sits just right! Absolutely stunning with the suspension and PCCB's. I still love the timeless lines of the 911. Your pics are a great reminder to the beauty of the car. Thanks!

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    i have H&R 7mms up front & 14mms on the rear. They make the car look much better. It looks subtle & looks as though the manufacturer would have built the car that way. H&R design them specifically for Porsche & are tested to German standards. I feel the car needs lowering now to make it just perfect, but i have concerns over PASM when lowered. I am still considering this one.

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    please send us a photo with the 7mm 14mm and PASM !!

    Is it a 2S or 4S you have ?

    Best from Spain

    Re: 5mm and 17mm spacers

    Quote:
    Coffee said:
    Weasel
    What was the end result of the 7mm spacers on the rear? Better / worse handling, ride quality, etc.
    Ron



    No difference in handling or ride quality that I can discern . . . and only a slight difference in looks. I'd seen 5mm on a C2S before purchasing, and I thought the difference was noticeable when parked next to another C2S (but only to a Porschephile). I decided to go with 7mm spacers (FVD) on the rear only -- this way, if it wasn't enough I could move them to the front and get an even larger set for the rear. After having installed the 7mm spacers, I think 10 to 12mm on the rear of a C4S would be ideal aesthetically. Problem is, no one seems to offer them in those sizes for any of our cars. 14mm spacers are about as close as they come, I think -- but I would love to find out I'm wrong.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/5/18 8:49 AM
    Porker
    408813 5201
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/13/18 8:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    324067 2007
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost
     
     
     
     
     
    213117 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/14/18 5:41 AM
    the-missile
    198376 2680
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 12/14/18 9:21 PM
    GnilM
    127582 2441
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 12/6/18 3:34 PM
    RCA
    34112 321
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 12/14/18 9:35 PM
    CGX car nut
    18889 301
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14399 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    13844 35
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    527127 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    484207 4254
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    296612 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    280995 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/29/18 3:41 PM
    xpto
    266802 2622
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    192156 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/26/18 11:32 AM
    Rossi
    191827 1768
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 12/14/18 6:00 PM
    Enmanuel
    183457 3288
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/13/18 4:36 PM
    RCA
    151465 2475
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143219 757
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128966 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111975 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106791 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 12/10/18 3:41 PM
    WhoopsyM
    90065 1252
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 12/7/18 10:15 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    67266 673
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57484 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    47110 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 12/15/18 12:40 AM
    CGX car nut
    46726 1488
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42985 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/30/18 4:10 PM
    RCA
    42256 605
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 12/4/18 3:17 PM
    BiTurbo
    39763 650
    281 items found, displaying 1 to 30.