Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New 997 Pic's and Observations

This will be my humble attempt to give back to this outstanding forum. During the past 6 months (just prior to ordering and then as a 'waiter', this site has been an incredible source of information. So I will try and give some original thought as so much has already been covered. Some of this info is more directed at those about to order or the waiters.

The Car

S
    Black/ Black
    Michelin Pilot Sport tires (very happy about that since you can't spec tires)

Options

Sport Chron
    Adaptive Sport Seats
    Classic Wheels (these are getting mounted w/ TMP sensors and Michelin Club Sport track tires)
    Champion RS98 19 in. wheels, 8 in. front/11.5 in. rear (purchased through and installed by the dealer and included in the vehicle price, not OEM but as close as you can get)
    Tire Pressure Monitor System
    Fire extinguisher
    Bose Sound
    Carbon Package (just the shifter, handbrake and small strip on dash)
    Sport Shifter
    Sport Exhaust
    Sport Steering Wheel
    Door Sills

The major options that I did not get Nav, CD changer, PCCB or full leather.

Option Decision Factors

This will be a 3rd car ('01 Audi S8 & '04 VW Touareg). This is also my fourth Porsche ('71 S, wish I still had this one!, '80 SC & '97 Boxster). The car will not be driven in inclement weather and when driven to work is parked in the building garage. These factors where important to me in choosing black.

I will also do autocross and track events with the car. That's why the extra set of wheels and all the sport focused options.

Spend $18,000 over base, including the extra set of wheels and tires. So far there is nothing I regret or would do differently, except X51 which was not available when I ordered, not sure if I would have sprung for the extra $$$ though as that would have made for a very expensive S. I would have been better waiting for the GT3, but that's another story.

Observations

As of this writing I have put 410 miles on the car in 3 days. It is better than I had hoped for. I won't restate what other have so articulately put forth about this awesome car. There are a couple of things that do stand out for me:

The quality of the cars fit and finish is higher than any Porsche or other car I have had (my Audi S8 is a close second) and I think better than my friends 996. Porsche had always put their attention into the highest quality mechanicals. I drove my '80 SC everyday for 11 years and sold it with 150,000 miles and never had a major problem. The finish in Porsches interiors were always less than those of the best cars in the market. No longer! The interior of this car is excellent ascetically and functionally.

The adaptability of the car (the way I have it optioned) is a huge success for me. The car has the ability to increase it's sportiness quickly and significantly. One push of the Sport Chron button and the exhaust note gets much more aggressive, the engine responsiveness quickens and the suspension stiffens to zero body roll. I also have my adaptive seats set on memory so that I press 2 and the seat moves forward a little and the side and leg bolsters tighten giving me better control for aggressive driving. I also toggle the computer to show TPM right under the digital speed in the dash when driving aggressively to check tire pressure ( gives me piece of mind on the status of an important component of the car).
    I also now appreciate the ability to custom order the car the way I want it. Porsche is leading the market (haven ordered an Italian exotic so not sure about these) in allowing customers to get the car with personalized options. My car is more focused on my desire to track it. Someone else might want a Cab with a unique color and aluminum accent interior with all the luxury bells and whistles. That's cool too! There were three 997 at the drive I did yesterday, each one different, not just in color but in the focus the owner wanted. While I like and prefer the way I ordered my car, their cars are no less than perfect for those owners. This gives all of us the same product but with our own personal needs and taste reflected in the driving experience.

Modifications

I was going to do a Rinspeed front spoiler and side skirts, H&R Springs, Evo intake and Cargraphics front grill mesh. Now I am going to wait. I like the car so much the way it is the only mod I am going to get is a built-in radar detector. Looking at the RA 40 but very expensive $1500 installed. Might do the Valentine hard wired by the rear view mirror for $500. This should be standard equipment on these cars but understand why Porsche can't do that. I am concerned with the front ground clearance with it lowered and a spoiler. I really like to looks of a lowered car but am concerned about the everyday drivability. I am also concerned with increased ride stiffness if springs.

Process Time (for the 'waiters')

Ordered April 26th
    Built July 7th (Original build date was to be July 13th)
    Arrived Port of Brunswick, Georgia July 27.
    Arrived San Diego Aug 3rd
    Arrived dealer, Burlingame, CA Aug 10
    I took delivery Aug 11 3PM!!!!!!
    Important foot note : Randy Hill at Rector Motors (650-348-0111) is great. The best service I have ever had in ordering a new car.
    Pictures are posted below.
    /uploads/128663-IMG_0281.JPG

Re: New 997 Pic's and Observations

Sorry, learning how to post photo's. Hope this works. if so more to follow.

OK, think I got it figured out, more pic's.

Fire extinguisher

Carbon fiber shifter

Tire pressure monitor read out in dash

Champoin RS 98 wheel

One more

Very nice. I like the wheels.

Gary, thx for nice summary. Had a blk/blk 997S a few mths back; put about 7K mis on it....superb car (my first P).....had nary a glitch/problem, despite exuberant daily&wkend use in sun/rain/SF hills&potholes/fwy blitzes/Woodside mtn roads....only 997S issues I couldn't forgive are the nonlinear steering ratio, the VW Beetle headlights and the wimpy accordion-like contraption under the rear wing when it's up....in any case, have become very addicted to P Turbo Coupes. Since then, have ordered&obtained a couple of new 996TTS Coupes via Randy Hill @ Rector...I totally agree: Randy's an outstanding salesguy....and svc @ Rector also seems exemplary (Paul Medina is particularly notable). Enjoy your new toy!

Oh yeaaaaaaah! That's ittttt! Just great.

Yellow sidemarkers are gone by now too, no?

Thanks for the carbon views.

Gary, looks like your trip odometer reads more miles than your main odometer....am I reading it correctly?

Damn Gary how the heck did I miss this car during the drive....

Really Good Combo including the wheels... looks like you need a drop

CONGRATS!

Awesome, Gary!

I wouldn't change a thing if I were you- probably not even the markers(look very nice on a black car), IMO. Love those rims! Interior is great too! Thank you for the review (I'm a "waiter" ) and pictures! Your baby is an "06, right?

Congratulations!

Very Nice I like the tire pressure monitor but, I would for sure get the clear/smoked side markers....

great rims!! and i agree with the other guys about the clear side markers, they really make the car more sophisticated looking IMO

nice pictures,

but i see on the dash
    319 miles in total,
    and the trip shows 323.2 miles,
    ????
    thats 4 miles more than the total
    my trip counter was also more by delivery than the total.

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    The car has the ability to increase it's sportiness quickly and significantly. One push of the Sport Chron button and the exhaust note gets much more aggressive, the engine responsiveness quickens and the suspension stiffens to zero body roll.

Did you opt for PASM because you mentioned that the suspension stiffens to zero body roll?

A collective, thanks for the complements.

Answers to some questions:
    Yes, it is an '06
    Don't know why the trip indicator shows more miles than the regular odometer. Asked the dealer and they have seen it before but didn't have an answer, curious, isn't it.
    I will do the side markers in clear, good idea.
    I wanted PASM because of the ability to change suspension settings. I really like the sport setting on smooth roads, very taught, no body roll, no sure if it increases turn in and responsiveness but it feels like it. I was doing a smooth road that has a series of fast sweeper type corners and was changing the setting going through them, you really get a sense of it that way, I highly recommend it. For those of you in the SF Bay Area, try Sharp Park Rd., Pacifica.
    That reminds me. The Porsche tech that test drove my car after butting the Champion wheels on said he could tell the difference in quicker turning in due to the lighter wheel weight.

CONGRATULATIONS Gary.
    I like what you said here:

"The adaptability of the car (the way I have it optioned) is a huge success for me. The car has the ability to increase it's sportiness quickly and significantly. One push of the Sport Chron button and the exhaust note gets much more aggressive, the engine responsiveness quickens and the suspension stiffens to zero body roll. I also have my adaptive seats set on memory so that I press 2 and the seat moves forward a little and the side and leg bolsters tighten giving me better control for aggressive driving. I also toggle the computer to show TPM right under the digital speed in the dash when driving aggressively to check tire pressure ( gives me piece of mind on the status of an important component of the car).
    I also now appreciate the ability to custom order the car the way I want it. Porsche is leading the market (haven ordered an Italian exotic so not sure about these) in allowing customers to get the car with personalized options. My car is more focused on my desire to track it. Someone else might want a Cab with a unique color and aluminum accent interior with all the luxury bells and whistles. That's cool too! There were three 997 at the drive I did yesterday, each one different, not just in color but in the focus the owner wanted. While I like and prefer the way I ordered my car, their cars are no less than perfect for those owners. This gives all of us the same product but with our own personal needs and taste reflected in the driving experience."

I was posting about that the other day. That the best put together cars follow a certain theme. Carbon fiber goes well with the track oriented car. The black interior is the most sporty imo and goes best with the carbon, adaptive seats. And the other options you have also say performance like the sport chrono, tpm, sport shifter, PSE etc. Thank god you didn't get park assist. That would be totally opposite of the whole theme of your car. Or ruffled seats.
    And leaving out things like the nav, cd changer also makes perfect sense for what you were after. Some options go together, some don't just like interior/ exterior colors........... I don't have to go on obviously you get it.

Thanks for the great write up.

If you get a chance please put in some more pics of the carbon fiber dash strip. THANKS !

STRA -

Unfortunately I have the park assist on my black/black/carbon 987 S but I need it for when I have to parallel park in Manhattan, helps a whole lot. Go over to the Boxster board "Subj: Some quick pictures (sorry for the delay)" to see my vehicle set-up with the carbon fiber dash/shifter/handbrake...I will have the carbon door sills' pictures up as soon as I stop driving...

Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Don't know why the trip indicator shows more miles than the regular odometer. Asked the dealer and they have seen it before but didn't have an answer, curious, isn't it.

Same here in my MY05 car. Seems to be a minor software bug that Porsche still didn't want to have fixed in MY06 cars. Mine had 6km on the odometer and IIRC 9.xkm on the tripmeter when I picked it up at the factory. That observation comes up regularly in the forum. If you take a look at the trip menu in the PCM you very likely will also notice a difference between the total mileage displayed in the PCM and the mileage in the instrument cluster's odometer.

I was posting about that the other day. That the best put together cars follow a certain theme. Carbon fiber goes well with the track oriented car. The black interior is the most sporty imo and goes best with the carbon, adaptive seats. And the other options you have also say performance like the sport chrono, tpm, sport shifter, PSE etc. Thank god you didn't get park assist. That would be totally opposite of the whole theme of your car. Or ruffled seats.
    And leaving out things like the nav, cd changer also makes perfect sense for what you were after. Some options go together, some don't just like interior/ exterior colors........... I don't have to go on obviously you get it.

Thanks for the great write up.

If you get a chance please put in some more pics of the carbon fiber dash strip. THANKS !

Stradale,

Thanks for the comments. Funny you should mention parking assist. I have them on my S8 and really like it. Going back to my Boxster one day I almost hit another car backing up because I was listening for the tone.

But I did really try and think through what I wanted my new 997 to be. Heated seats are another example, I have them in my luxury car but they seemed misplaced in the 997 I was designing. Maybe I got too carried away with over thinking the option list but I am very happy with my selections, and that's what counts, right

I will post more interior shots of the carbon fiber. That was the most questionable option selection because I had not seen it before. The discussion with my salesman helped convince me and I am glad I got it.

Another aspect of the car I really like is the linear power band. The power comes on very evenly, while turbo cars have gobs of torque, it is not as useful all the time and can come on at the wrong time. And unlike past 911's the peakiness of the motor is finally gone. 996 went a long way to improve the power band but not until the 3.8 motor have they finally done it. That being said I can see how after a while one might want just a little more low end grunt. The car is very fast but just a little more torque; say 50lbs. would make this car even more entertaining. Keep in mine this impression is based upon my break-in driving, no full throttle and limited to 6,000 RPM, most shifts below 5,000.

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    Very Nice I like the tire pressure monitor but, I would for sure get the clear/smoked side markers....

Thanks for the tip on the side markers, hadn't even thought of that. I called my salesman, and he said no problem, i'll take care of it, no cost. Again great service from Randy at Rector.

The tpm is interesting, you can watch the pressure change, after pushing it thorugh a series of corners, the pressures all when up, the side that was loaded more gained an extra .lb, just what you would expect. Notice on my ride home one tire was down 6 .lbs. I will check again tomorrow and put air in if needed. I think this is a must have option. I know it is coming as a monditory equipment in the USA.

Very nice wheel!!! i love the carbon interior also. nice job!

Hi,

Do you notice the fire extinguisher at all? I assume that it doesn't impact your seating comfort?

Thanks.

Quote:
    AeroSmith said:
    Hi,

Do you notice the fire extinguisher at all? I assume that it doesn't impact your seating comfort?

Thanks.

Don't even notice it when I am driving. It moves with the seat. Absolutly no problem. Also, if you take it out the holder is not noticible at all. Glad I got it.

Quote:
    ewi said:
    Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Don’t know why the trip indicator shows more miles than the regular odometer. Asked the dealer and they have seen it before but didn't have an answer, curious, isn't it.

Same here in my MY05 car. Seems to be a minor software bug that Porsche still didn't want to have fixed in MY06 cars. Mine had 6km on the odometer and IIRC 9.xkm on the tripmeter when I picked it up at the factory. That observation comes up regularly in the forum. If you take a look at the trip menu in the PCM you very likely will also notice a difference between the total mileage displayed in the PCM and the mileage in the instrument cluster's odometer.

Does this happen only at delivery or even later during usage?

There are a couple of cars that have a function for pre-delivery testdrives. The main odometer can be reset to zero while the trip indicator displays the total of driven miles/km. If this is the reason in this case remains to be verified, especially since it is a fairly small difference.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Quote:
    ewi said:
    Quote:
    Gary No Cal said:
    Don’t know why the trip indicator shows more miles than the regular odometer. Asked the dealer and they have seen it before but didn't have an answer, curious, isn't it.

Does this happen only at delivery or even later during usage?

There are a couple of cars that have a function for pre-delivery testdrives. The main odometer can be reset to zero while the trip indicator displays the total of driven miles/km. If this is the reason in this case remains to be verified, especially since it is a fairly small difference.

I know about the function to reset the odometer to zero from other cars (works only if mileage hasn't reached a certain limit and if the number of miles already reset hasn't reached a certain level). Usually, if you reset the odometer the trip meter is reset, too. Especially in cars there the trip meter reset button is involved when resetting the odometer. Therefore, I asked a Porsche serviceman about that. He didn't know (or wouldn't tell me) the combination of buttons to press to achieve that. But he could reset the odometer with his diagnosis tester if total mileage hasn't reached a certain limit. Since I only had 6km on the odometer I didn't let him do that.

Since I haven't reset the PCM's trip computer yet, I can't tell whether the difference of the odometer display in the instrument cluster and the PCM remains during later usage. I also didn't check yet whether the difference remains stable or changes. From what I have read here in the forum it changes and slightly increases. Might be a problem of cars equipped with navigation. A PCM with the nav module might calculate its own values based on GPS data while a PCM without nav might take the instrument cluster's values for the trip menu.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/5/18 8:49 AM
    Porker
    408742 5201
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/13/18 8:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    324016 2007
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost

213099 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/14/18 5:41 AM
    the-missile
    198208 2680
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 12/14/18 5:39 PM
    GnilM
    127366 2439
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 12/6/18 3:34 PM
    RCA
    34096 321
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 12/14/18 5:31 PM
    GaussM
    18577 300
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14393 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    13838 35
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    527037 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    484196 4254
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    296464 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    280927 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/29/18 3:41 PM
    xpto
    266754 2622
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    192147 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/26/18 11:32 AM
    Rossi
    191806 1768
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 12/14/18 6:00 PM
    Enmanuel
    183366 3288
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/13/18 4:36 PM
    RCA
    151417 2475
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143217 757
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128946 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111971 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM