Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

TPMS feature - Boon or Bane?

I am considering to include this nifty option in my 997C2S order but am rather discouraged by my dealer. They claimed that the TPMS system is very sensitive to pressure changes (which I thought was a virtue) but it kept throwing error messages when the car is taken on long highway drives and track driving. Is it true that the ideal pressures are preset at the factory and it cannot be tailored/fine tuned to our specific climate conditions in different countries/seasons? Can we preset the low pressure warning parameters? Hope someone can shed some experience here. Thanks in advance.

Re: TPMS feature - Boon or Bane?

Quote:
    Avant said:
    I am considering to include this nifty option in my 997C2S order but am rather discouraged by my dealer. They claimed that the TPMS system is very sensitive to pressure changes (which I thought was a virtue) but it kept throwing error messages when the car is taken on long highway drives and track driving. Is it true that the ideal pressures are preset at the factory and it cannot be tailored/fine tuned to our specific climate conditions in different countries/seasons? Can we preset the low pressure warning parameters? Hope someone can shed some experience here. Thanks in advance.

I heard the same thing by my dealer before I ordered my car. But this was before TPMS was even available on the 997. You might want to ask your dealer if they know this is really true today or are they basing this on some previous version of TPMS (was it available on the Cayenne?)

TPMS now seems to be working perfectly!!! I've ordered it after people on this site have said it workrd great.
    Check the previous threads

My dealer had warned against getting this option as they said that the Cayennes faced alot of the many problems with TPMS. An audible alarm will be alerted if the pressure was only slightly off the factory spec. They ended up disconnecting the TPMS on most of the cars.
    Why would Porsche include a feature that they have not thoroughly R&D?

<Why would Porsche include a feature that they have not thoroughly R&D?>
    Now, that can open a very large can of worms. can you say recall. can you say redesign. can you say rms ?

I say go for it. Anyway after 2006 all cars are mandated to have TPMS. As for the fluctuation in pressure, go to Costco and fill your tires with nitrogen gas.

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    <Why would Porsche include a feature that they have not thoroughly R&D?>
    Now, that can open a very large can of worms. can you say recall. can you say redesign. can you say rms ?

In the case of TPMS, if it doesn't work reliably, they can always not offer it (as in the case of 2005 997's) as it is an option or feature. RMS is different because they can't fix it AND they can't not offer it.

You'd think dealers would actually make sure about the things they sell before they open their mouth...

The TPMS on the 997 works flawlessly, very accurate, and never any type of error message. But the bottom line is, its a cheap option that is extremly useful once you start to use it, but ITS NOT retrofitable later on, so if it does work (and it does I speak form experience, MY2005 997S) and you don't get it... too late.

I ordered it before anybody I knew did and was not sure if the 997 version worked as advertised or not, since no one knew, but I took the gamble since its not retrofitable and the worst that could happen is loss a few hundred $ in the option.

Quote:
    Avant said:

I have TPM on my 06 S and think it is a must have option. Just a few days after I got the car I notice the TPM was indicating the right rear was lower by 2 lbs. Next morning it was 4 lbs. lower, later that day the visual alarm showed up on the dash. I took it in thinking it was an error message with the TPM but I had a nail in the tire. With such a low side wall it is really hard to tell visually if a tire is low.

I drove the car 200 miles yesterday through the Central Valley (California) with 106 degree temperature. The pressures increased by 2 lbs. from normal, once I hit the cooler San Francisco Bay Area, the pressure came back down. I can also watch the pressure raise and fall with my driving. Leisurely pace with normal ambient temps I run 37-38 lbs front 43-44 rear. If I push it they go up 2-3 lbs. This is a great option.

TPMS on my 997 works well but if it doesn't I would go to a Porsche dealer and have them sort it out under the warranty.

Sounds like a great option, Gary. I wish that I could have ordered it. Oh well, I guess I'll have to check my tire pressures the old fashioned way and more often.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    But the bottom line is, its a cheap option that is extremly useful once you start to use it, but ITS NOT retrofitable later on, so if it does work (and it does I speak form experience, MY2005 997S) and you don't get it... too late.

I ordered it before anybody I knew did and was not sure if the 997 version worked as advertised or not, since no one knew, but I took the gamble since its not retrofitable and the worst that could happen is loss a few hundred $ in the option.

Very credible indeed! I shall also take the gamble and order it, its only going to cost some money, not an arm or leg. If it does not work, what the heck! I trust the option can be shut off so that we do n ot see the audible error/signals.

Got it in my 06 c2s. You can fill the tires to any pressure you want, all the units will do is tell you what those pressures are. It wil also tell you which tire is off by how much from the others. It compensates for temp changes. IOW, it tells you the actual pressures of the tires as they change. The alarms are of two degrees, "gentle warning" (something like "air pressure low, add air") and "stern warning (something like "add air now!").

Sounds like your dealer is working with outdated info. Get it if only to save your wheels and tires from damage. I'm thinking that it would be really hard to be so on top of things all the time as to be able to sense when the one tire is really low (incase of puncture).

BTW, I plan to have simple tread punctures patched and plugged (like normal cars) since I don't travel at sustained Autobahn speeds.

Quote:
    Avant said:
    My dealer had warned against getting this option as they said that the Cayennes faced alot of the many problems with TPMS. An audible alarm will be alerted if the pressure was only slightly off the factory spec. They ended up disconnecting the TPMS on most of the cars.
    Why would Porsche include a feature that they have not thoroughly R&D?

My dealer told me about similar experiences they had but when you listen to the details of the complaints it's really not a problem with a malfunctioning TPMS. Owners who are complaining are just not accustomed to keeping a correct amount of pressure in their tires. I have a Cayenne S built in July 2003 so it has the first version of the Cayenne TPMS system. I have had it over two years and there have been no malfunctions.

I often pickup my car from the dealer after service and I get TPMS warnings about incorrect pressures. In fact, every time the dealer has done anything with the tires I get the warnings. This isn't because of a malfunction of the TPMS, it's just a dealer that doesn't know what pressure to put in tires. The last time I picked up my car I insisted on checking pressure before I left, since I had had the tires rotated and balanced. Sure enough, air pressure was wrong in all four tires. The mechanic that did the work couldn't understand it since he had carefully adjusted the pressure to 40 psi in each tire. I explained to him that this was the problem; 40 psi was too much in the front but not enough in the rear and why couldn't he just look at the sticker on the door to see what the correct pressure should be. I got a blank stare.

I think TPMS is a great feature and I highly recommend it. When I go off-road and air down the tires I just turn the system off so I don't get the warnings. When I get back on the pavement I air up and turn the system back on. In living with it day to day I just correct the pressure when I get a warning and everything's fine. I have never had an incorrect message or warning from the system.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:
    My dealer told me about similar experiences they had but when you listen to the details of the complaints it's really not a problem with a malfunctioning TPMS. Owners who are complaining are just not accustomed to keeping a correct amount of pressure in their tires. I have a Cayenne S built in July 2003 so it has the first version of the Cayenne TPMS system. I have had it over two years and there have been no malfunctions.

I often pickup my car from the dealer after service and I get TPMS warnings about incorrect pressures. In fact, every time the dealer has done anything with the tires I get the warnings. This isn't because of a malfunction of the TPMS, it's just a dealer that doesn't know what pressure to put in tires. The last time I picked up my car I insisted on checking pressure before I left, since I had had the tires rotated and balanced. Sure enough, air pressure was wrong in all four tires. The mechanic that did the work couldn't understand it since he had carefully adjusted the pressure to 40 psi in each tire. I explained to him that this was the problem; 40 psi was too much in the front but not enough in the rear and why couldn't he just look at the sticker on the door to see what the correct pressure should be. I got a blank stare.

I think you have hit the nail on the head , the problem lies with most driver who careless about their rides and the numbskull mechanics who has got no idea about the sensitivity with new technology.
    Thanks for your most valid feedback

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 12/5/18 8:49 AM
    Porker
    408379 5201
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 12/12/18 10:08 PM
    CGX car nut
    323776 2006
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 12/8/18 8:33 AM
    Joost

213006 1083
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 12/1/18 11:40 AM
    LP997
    197287 2675
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 12/3/18 7:19 AM
    PSG
    127112 2437
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 12/6/18 3:34 PM
    RCA
    34017 321
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: The new Porsche 992 – a design icon and high-tech sports car 12/13/18 12:18 AM
    Wonderbar
    16982 282
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14377 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 11/29/18 3:43 PM
    RCA
    13821 35
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    526670 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    484134 4254
    Porsche 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) Thread Closed 11/29/18 11:38 AM
    RCA
    295825 3195
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    280709 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/29/18 3:41 PM
    xpto
    266619 2622
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    192094 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/26/18 11:32 AM
    Rossi
    191737 1768
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 12/12/18 3:05 PM
    nberry
    182981 3284
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 12/12/18 12:49 PM
    the-missile
    150790 2457
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    143177 757
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128877 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111942 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM