Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    $10.9 Million???

    Is anyone else surprised that a black/black '61 Cal Spyder, with no special provenance other than being owned at one point by actor James Coburn, went for this kind of money? Is it really worth $3m more than the GP winning 250LM that sold at the same auction? Or were there just two bidders with more money than brains? Is this a hyper-inflated price, or a real indication of new market value, and if so, what does it say about SWB berlinettas? This is starting to approach GTO territory...

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Quote:
    JesseBank said:
    Is anyone else surprised that a black/black '61 Cal Spyder, with no special provenance other than being owned at one point by actor James Coburn, went for this kind of money? Is it really worth $3m more than the GP winning 250LM that sold at the same auction? Or were there just two bidders with more money than brains? Is this a hyper-inflated price, or a real indication of new market value, and if so, what does it say about SWB berlinettas? This is starting to approach GTO territory...



    I bet the car's seller was more surprised than anyone else.

    I suspect that you are right: There were at least two minutes' worth of suckers at that auction.
    (You know the old saying: There's one born every minute. )

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Seller was pumped for sure. As was RM I imagine. But with that 250LM right there???

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Chris Evans is a real ferrari fan.... OK he may have paid too much, who knows - he's done some shrewd investments in the past with his production companies, and some rubbish decisions too. But it's his money, and if I had the means I may well have too....

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Sure, I can't argue with that. But if he is really a Ferrari fan, as well as a shrewd investor, why not the 250LM? Its rarer, more significant historically, and therefore holds a higher "real" value. Sure its probably less useable, but also 2/3 the money...

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Quote:
    JesseBank said:
    Sure, I can't argue with that. But if he is really a Ferrari fan, as well as a shrewd investor, why not the 250LM? Its rarer, more significant historically, and therefore holds a higher "real" value. Sure its probably less useable, but also 2/3 the money...



    Maybe he already has one?

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Quote:
    JesseBank said:
    Sure, I can't argue with that. But if he is really a Ferrari fan, as well as a shrewd investor, why not the 250LM? Its rarer, more significant historically, and therefore holds a higher "real" value. Sure its probably less useable, but also 2/3 the money...



    Chris said that was a car he always wanted
    BTW he normally only has one Ferrari at a time, which means that car has a good chance of having 10,000 miles added to the clock over the summer.

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Well then he got what he wanted. One wonders if the other bidder was an agent for the seller???

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Quote:
    JesseBank said:
    Is anyone else surprised that a black/black '61 Cal Spyder, with no special provenance other than being owned at one point by actor James Coburn, went for this kind of money? Is it really worth $3m more than the GP winning 250LM that sold at the same auction? Or were there just two bidders with more money than brains? Is this a hyper-inflated price, or a real indication of new market value, and if so, what does it say about SWB berlinettas? This is starting to approach GTO territory...



    if you were to list 3 of the most beautiful ferraris ever, would the 250 GT California SWB make that list??? if yes, then why not +$10 million!!! you know, that translates to about EUR 6.5 million, and about GBP 5 million... and that ain't too expensive for that car... not to mention it's F-CKING gorgeous (excuse my french)... I think it is the nicest classic ferrari out there for us civilians (non-track)... and you can drive it EVERY weekend, if you live somewhere nice like miami or monaco

    Re: $10.9 Million???

    Or California, for that matter.

    It certainly is one of the most beautiful street Ferraris for certain. Personally, for road cars at least, I'd rate the 250 Lusso and 275 GTB a bit higher,and if it were my money I'd have a SWB (oh that noise!). However, the Cal is right up there certainly. It just doesn't seem like something built in those kind of numbers (50-ish SWB I think, not to mention another 50-ish LWB) should be up that high. That seems, to me at least, to be up there with GTO, 250 TR's, P3/4's and other super significant/rare cars. But I suppose times are changing. Damn good car for the odd sunday drive, I'd give him that. It just seems like the auction house got what it wanted with someone having deep pockets and getting a bit carried away over a truly great car.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 4/23/18 8:58 PM
    Enmanuel
    283306 4500
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 4/24/18 2:49 PM
    Whoopsy
    270551 1816
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 4/24/18 5:17 AM
    Whoopsy
     
     
     
     
     
    171908 983
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 4/24/18 12:33 AM
    Enmanuel
    100823 1786
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 4/24/18 4:04 AM
    Leawood911
    80154 1128
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 4/24/18 5:59 PM
    SciFrog
    22548 1103
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    553819 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    461671 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    450797 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 3/11/18 5:44 PM
    RCA
    249720 2560
    Porsche Cayman GT4 12/30/17 11:07 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    216973 2482
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    177303 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    167189 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 3/31/18 10:47 PM
    watt
    147189 1495
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 4/24/18 1:41 PM
    DJM48
    142123 2937
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 12/29/17 8:31 AM
    dreamcar
    113450 692
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 4/24/18 7:54 AM
    RCA
    110579 2089
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    109174 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 12/5/17 3:29 PM
    RCA
    89323 765
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 4/20/18 6:04 PM
    noone1
    84250 869
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    82747 732
    McLaren F1 8/23/17 11:10 AM
    Carlos from SpainM
    51129 202
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 3/30/18 9:09 AM
    TB993tt
    48188 640
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 4/23/18 2:30 AM
    Targa Tim
    46619 726
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    42825 423
    Lambo Huracán Performante in "6.52 something" at the Ring? 11/7/17 12:30 AM
    kingjr9000
    36999 852
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/29/17 12:27 PM
    DJM48
    31316 471
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    31104 597
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    31007 1122
    Lambo Aventador and SV 4/12/18 2:01 PM
    crayphile
    28307 427
    344 items found, displaying 1 to 30.