Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Aston's Interview

They keep talking about 911 competitor but the price is close to 360 and turbo range.
    http://autos.msn.com/media/asx/Geneva_2005/AstonMartinInterview.asx

Re: Aston's Interview

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    They keep talking about 911 competitor but the price is close to 360 and turbo range.

Thanks Ron!
    Nice interview. And yes, clearly aiming at Porsche and no one else.
    Well, this is the best compliment one can make to Porsche really.
    However, I didn't think it'd be that expensive! Pounds 80,000!!!!

That is almost the price of the 996 Turbo, which let's be honest, evolves in another league performance wise.

May be they should re-market as faster than Boxster

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

given the production #s, if they sold every single allocation to a 911 buyer, it wouldn't make a dent in 911 sales.

Quote:
    Fanch said:

That is almost the price of the 996 Turbo, which let's be honest, evolves in another league performance wise.

Exactly. 104k Euro roughly USD $140k; now would you rather have a nicely optioned turbo or the AMV8. I think their pricing would be a deterent for potential customers.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

Exactly. 104k Euro roughly USD $140k; now would you rather have a nicely optioned turbo or the AMV8. I think their pricing would be a deterent for potential customers.

However I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about because Pounds80,000 is 115,000 Euros
    And with today's Xchange rate $ 155,000! Mama mia!

Perhaps AM is pricing by the pound...the AMV8 does weigh roughly as much/more than 996TTS Coupe. Also, let's not forget that P hasn't yet priced (and determined target produc volumes for) 997TTS...when do PAG's currency hedges roll off?

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Perhaps AM is pricing by the pound...the AMV8 does weigh roughly as much/more than 996TTS Coupe. Also, let's not forget that P hasn't yet priced (and determined target produc volumes for) 997TTS...when do PAG's currency hedges roll off?

In 2007 and happens to be when the CEO Dr. WW contract is up too .

Quote:

it's not only the list price... i can only speak for germany, but here it's A LOT easier to run a porsche, even a turbo or GT3, than some "exotic" cars, even if they are priced equally. and i'm not speaking about your jealous neighbours but about insurance (astons, ferraris etc aren't even in their databases), maintenance (where's the next dealer?), not to mention trouble with tax authorities if it's a company car... a 911 is as common as a S class, but with e.g. an AM car they could suspect that you are a car nut and trying to finance your hobby thru your business.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

it's not only the list price... i can only speak for germany, but here it's A LOT easier to run a porsche, even a turbo or GT3, than some "exotic" cars, even if they are priced equally. and i'm not speaking about your jealous neighbours but about insurance (astons, ferraris etc aren't even in their databases), maintenance (where's the next dealer?), not to mention trouble with tax authorities if it's a company car... a 911 is as common as a S class, but with e.g. an AM car they could suspect that you are a car nut and trying to finance your hobby thru your business.

With commonality as Porsche's attribute (not only common on the street but all Porsche models share a high percentage of parts) many present owners will migrate to an more exclusive and high end car. Clearly the AM DB9 is not for everyone but apparently it is very popular. It officially has not been introduced, yet in the US about 3 years of allocations have been sold.

Will it dent Porsche sales.. very little. Porsche market is slowly eroding to reasonably affluent Boy Racers. The price is right and many of them believe they are W. Roehl. Thus they will continue to buy although the 997 S price point may force them to reconsider.

Quote:
    nberry said:Porsche market is slowly eroding to reasonably affluent Boy Racers. The price is right and many of them believe they are W. Roehl.

Oh, then you mean that it will be Ferrari sales who will be taking a dent due to Porsche's erosion? Oh sorry, I forgot, Boy Racers can't drive a stick so Ferrari will not only have to rely on the poseours to maintain sales ... superficial generalisations ... nick don't even go there, see how silly they are?

(hope its clear I don't mean what I said above, its sarcasm to try to prove a point)

Quote:
    nberry said:With commonality as Porsche's attribute (not only common on the street but all Porsche models share a high percentage of parts) many present owners will migrate to an more exclusive and high end car. Clearly the AM DB9 is not for everyone but apparently it is very popular. It officially has not been introduced, yet in the US about 3 years of allocations have been sold.

Nick - All AM cars are built on the same modular chassis and use modified Ford motors (the V12 is two Ford Duratec V-6's attached for instance)- why no mention of their commonality?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:Porsche market is slowly eroding to reasonably affluent Boy Racers. The price is right and many of them believe they are W. Roehl.

Oh, then you mean that it will be Ferrari sales who will be taking a dent due to Porsche's erosion? Oh sorry, I forgot, Boy Racers can't drive a stick so Ferrari will not only have to rely on the poseours to maintain sales ... superficial generalisations ... nick don't even go there, see how silly they are?

(hope its clear I don't mean what I said above, its sarcasm to try to prove a point)

Though unscientific, just about every fairly NEW Porsche's I see are driven by younger individual's often aggressively. Yes this is a generalization but I suspect surveys will back me up. The leasing feature has allowed younger upward mobile people dabble with Porsche as a sport car.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:With commonality as Porsche's attribute (not only common on the street but all Porsche models share a high percentage of parts) many present owners will migrate to an more exclusive and high end car. Clearly the AM DB9 is not for everyone but apparently it is very popular. It officially has not been introduced, yet in the US about 3 years of allocations have been sold.

Nick - All AM cars are built on the same modular chassis and use modified Ford motors (the V12 is two Ford Duratec V-6's attached for instance)- why no mention of their commonality?

Grant at least you can tell a Ford from Aston Martin. I recognize that there will be part sharing within same manufacturer models but Porsche is on record to sharing of over 60% of parts between Boxster and the 911. So when you pay $40-50,000 more for a 911 over a Boxster, 60% of the 911 is Boxster?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

Though unscientific, just about every fairly NEW Porsche's I see are driven by younger individual's often aggressively. Yes this is a generalization but I suspect surveys will back me up. The leasing feature has allowed younger upward mobile people dabble with Porsche as a sport car.

In the US market, the most common Porsche 996/997 buyer profile is a 54 yo white male with a income of 498K per year.

Boxster owners come in as 48 yo white male with income of
    approx 200K per year.

Thats from PCNA marketing data.

The oldest 996 buyer I have personally met was a very dapper 82 yo gentlemen who had only owned Porsches since the 1950's and uses it to drive to work everyday.

Granted in the La Jolla/San Diego/OC/LA areas you may see
    "younger" people than yourself in Porsches, but then again you have the highest density of plastic surgeons anywhere on earth and all of that entertainment and real estate money

Quote:
    nberry said:

Young and drive aggresively... is that automatically a "boy racer" hmmm... I fit those two criteria, guess I'm a boy racer then , but I don't lease, do I still qualify?
    Now, how would you differentiate those from the "young sportcar enthusiasts" then? these are in their mid-life crisis and drive their sportcars like grandma then?

So then, I would like to hear your generalisation of the Ferrari drivers you see

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

In the US market, the most common Porsche 996/997 buyer profile is a 54 yo white male with a income of 498K per year.

approx 200K per year.

The oldest 996 buyer I have personally met was a very dapper 82 yo gentlemen who had only owned Porsches since the 1950's and uses it to drive to work everyday.

"younger" people than yourself in Porsches, but then again you have the highest density of plastic surgeons anywhere on earth and all of that entertainment and real estate money

Buyer profile according to Porsche marketing is they make an average $498,000? Enough said!

Carlos, at one time young people lusted for a Porsche(that has changed considerably) and with the recent boon in the economy many saked that thirst by buying one. The poster boy for a buyer of Porsche was James Dean as well as other race drivers. Add in leasing, many buy when they cannot afford and you get mass production of a one time venerated unique special sport car.

These same people could not buy a Ferrari, Aston Martin, CGT and other limited production cars. Also, even if they could afford to do so, probably could not whereas with Porsche anyone with two nickels can do so. See the difference?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:

approx 200K per year.

Buyer profile according to Porsche marketing is they make an average $498,000? Enough said!

Carlos, at one time young people lusted for a Porsche(that has changed considerably) and with the recent boon in the economy many saked that thirst by buying one. The poster boy for a buyer of Porsche was James Dean as well as other race drivers. Add in leasing, many buy when they cannot afford and you get mass production of a one time venerated unique special sport car.

These same people could not buy a Ferrari, Aston Martin, CGT and other limited production cars. Also, even if they could afford to do so, probably could not whereas with Porsche anyone with two nickels can do so. See the difference?

Good grief Nick, you are totally dated..James Dean? Thats
    so last century. Nobody cares about him but special edition Boxster buyers and they are old guys. Porsches new and used sell on their own merits. Ferraris have become self gifts
    for old guys who have the $$$ and recall watching Jackie Stewart race on ABC's wide world of sports.

As far as the 21-38 yo market goes, in the US market Ferraris have zero cachet, zero, repeat zero. Why? Its seen
    totally as a old guys car, but Lambos and Vipers aren't.

Really Nick, Ferraris in the US are kinda like fast Buicks
    for the uber rich country club set. No wonder they have instructions on the steering wheel now.

James, James, James; what am I to do with you? Porsche is all about retro. The design of the car is 50's; the look of the car is 50's and its ardent customer base is wedded to the 50's because that is how they remember it when it was special. Every time Porsche tries to update the car, its base screams and Porsche backs off.

The car is an anachronism.

However, it has reached a point where car magazines have all commented enough is enough. Porsche move on and devote your engineering expertise to 21st century endeavors.

Regarding Ferrari, I agree it tends to attract the rich and country club set. But they value uniqueness and buy "specialness" with their hard earned money. At one time Porsche offered that. Today, sadly it offers the past marketing it in modern packaging for a lot of money.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    James, James, James; what am I to do with you? Porsche is all about retro. The design of the car is 50's; the look of the car is 50's and its ardent customer base is wedded to the 50's because that is how they remember it when it was special. Every time Porsche tries to update the car, its base screams and Porsche backs off.

The car is an anachronism.

However, it has reached a point where car magazines have all commented enough is enough. Porsche move on and devote your engineering expertise to 21st century endeavors.

Regarding Ferrari, I agree it tends to attract the rich and country club set. But they value uniqueness and buy "specialness" with their hard earned money. At one time Porsche offered that. Today, sadly it offers the past marketing it in modern packaging for a lot of money.

Nick, those young people buying 911's dont know they came out in the sixties, so to them its new, wonderful and current.

Who says that country club people are spending "hard earned money??" ferrari 360's were popular gifts inside Enron

Porsches do offer "specialness" you just have to live in an area with fewer "special" people who can afford them, like
    Nebraska or Tashkent.

The 911 is a anachronism, but its a fast well built one!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/18/18 10:43 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    403978 5190
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/21/18 2:02 PM
    RCA
    321085 1979
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/21/18 11:06 AM
    RCA
    273446 2973
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

211371 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/15/18 6:23 PM
    BONES
    192225 2674
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/21/18 2:03 PM
    RCA
    123471 2425
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 11/15/18 12:15 PM
    RCA
    32340 316
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14061 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13338 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    523667 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483380 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    279104 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/16/18 11:30 AM
    RCA
    264203 2611
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191576 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/18 11:21 AM
    Carlos from SpainM
    190324 1761
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/20/18 9:10 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    179224 3224
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/21/18 10:51 AM
    RCA
    142772 2250
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142759 757
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128348 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111662 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106526 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/20/18 9:25 PM
    Enzo II
    85192 1138
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66677 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57216 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46699 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    43304 1395
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42826 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 11/20/18 9:13 PM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41384 598
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    39361 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    39067 637
    281 items found, displaying 1 to 30.