Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Will the 458 do the Ring under

7.40? If the Scud did it in 7.38 and allegedly the 458 has similar if not better performance parameters, it would appear it will equal if not improve upon the Scud's time.

If it fails to meet that benchmark, then the car has some real performance issues. 

--

Re: Will the 458 do the Ring under

nberry:

7.40? If the Scud did it in 7.38 and allegedly the 458 has similar if not better performance parameters, it would appear it will equal if not improve upon the Scud's time.

If it fails to meet that benchmark, then the car has some real performance issues. 

Nick,

I expect actually below 7.38min time with new Corsa Evoluzione tires.

Do not forget that 1.25 on Fiorano is with standard Michelins. As soon as P Zero The Hero becomes available in 458 size around 1s better time is expected. And when Corsa Evoluzione becomes available in 458 size additional 1.5s faster time on Fiorano is possible.

I would also argue that a SportAuto time of less than 7.38 is more than likely Smiley 

If SportAuto is unable to do less than 7.40, will you reconsider your order?

--

nberry:

For sure NO.

BUT....Smiley 458 Italia WILL BE faster then 7.38min in HvS hands. Smiley

KresoF1:
    nberry:

For sure NO.

BUT....Smiley 458 Italia WILL BE faster then 7.38min in HvS hands. Smiley

WE HOPE!!!!!

--

nberry:

In my case I need a car which is fast on track days Smiley Therefore, the lap times are quite key for me Smiley

The Scuderia did 7.39 not 7.38 on the Ring according to the SA's Supertest if I remember correctly.

Arguing about 1-2 sec difference makes virtually NO sense for this track.

You would have to drive 10 458's with 10 drivers at the same time for 20 laps straight at least to be able to argue there actually is 1-2 sec difference and to exactly know its true lap time.

All these lap times are highly unscientific, when we talk about such a small time margin.

--
    Cash, gas or ass... no one rides for free!

janus:

You would have to drive 10 458's with 10 drivers at the same time for 20 laps straight at least to be able to argue there actually is 1-2 sec difference and to exactly know its true lap time.

All these lap times are highly unscientific, when we talk about such a small time margin.

Exactly . Internet N-ring bench racing is getting out of control . Everyone brags about their favorite car's time ( and manufacturers heed it or worry it may effect sales 'cause they are slower than Brand X ) , then turn around on the next thread and gripe about how each newer  car, while more technically advanced , is further  sanitized of " fun".

The day is not far away when you can program in a track, where there are location transponders installed  , and you strap in , set it in " autodrive " , push the button and drink your coffee and send your text messages while the car goes around as fast as robotically possible. Heck, just have  a track tecnician t strap on a video cam  , and enjoy " racing  " your car in the safest way possible from your computer screen while at work, as you command tweaks  to the tranny,susp , ECU set ups . Life will soon enough imitate Play Station .

Smiley

I would also expect below 7.38, maybe 2s faster. Anyhow if Kreso says it, I will not wager against him

Seriously, the 458 is THE car to own right now. Design and technology makes other cars obsolete. Ferrari has done it again. I expect waiting lists in the US to exceed two years.

Haven't you heard? The crisis is over 

MKW:
    janus:

The day is not far away when you can program in a track, where there are location transponders installed  , and you strap in , set it in " autodrive " , push the button and drink your coffee and send your text messages while the car goes around as fast as robotically possible. Heck, just have  a track tecnician t strap on a video cam  , and enjoy " racing  " your car in the safest way possible from your computer screen while at work, as you command tweaks  to the tranny,susp , ECU set ups . Life will soon enough imitate Play Station .

Smiley

Sounds like my kind of car.Smiley

--

nberry:

Nick , just for you, Ferrari will even program "auto drive" to your beloved Starbucks   !

Smiley

MKW:
    nberry:

Nick , just for you, Ferrari will even program "auto drive" to your beloved Starbucks   !

Smiley

But this comes as an extra for the navigation module. Price: 4.500 USD. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

SciFrog:

I would also expect below 7.38, maybe 2s faster. Anyhow if Kreso says it, I will not wager against him

Seriously, the 458 is THE car to own right now. Design and technology makes other cars obsolete. Ferrari has done it again. I expect waiting lists in the US to exceed two years.

Haven't you heard? The crisis is over 

SmileySmileySmiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

MKSGR: 

In my case I need a car which is fast on track days Smiley 

Sure, Markus - but the question is for how many laps ? SmileySmileySmiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

The Ring is irrelevant, way too long and bumpy to have a meaningful comparisson of performance. Normal tracks show the real potential of cars as driver errors can be minimised and results can be replicated lap after lap.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

REALZEUS:

The Ring is irrelevant, way too long and bumpy to have a meaningful comparisson of performance. Normal tracks show the real potential of cars as driver errors can be minimised and results can be replicated lap after lap.

The relevance of NBR is that it resembles (or rather it is) a fast real world route. And top production cars are made to shine on such routes with all the irregularities and flaws. Proper tracks with special surfaces and artificial curves are the irrelevance in my way of thinking.

Perhaps you say this because Ferraris as a rule under-perform on the NBR.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

The optimum is to find a setup for a car that provides for excellent NBR lap times AND excellent standard track times (like HHR, Silverstone etc.).

While this is a bit hard to achieve it is still possible - see Porsche's GT3 and GT2, for example Smiley

The current Scuderia is surely faster on standard tracks than on the NBR. Not just based on Supertest results... This car is really capable on flat, tight tracks Smiley Let's see how the 458 handles in comparison (I don't think we can expect any acceptable lap times for the 458 on the standard tires; Ferrari - hopefully - will offer adequate tires early next year, when the first customer cars will be delivered).

I can see where you are coming from Reginos, even though I disagree as by definition supersport cars need supersmooth surfaces for their finely tuned systems to come together. These are extreme sports cars, not daily runabouts after all. Even if we aceept your point of view though, the fact that driver inconsistency is a problem in the Ring persists.

--
    FERRARI RULES!!!

MKSGR:

The optimum is to find a setup for a car that provides for excellent NBR lap times AND excellent standard track times (like HHR, Silverstone etc.).

While this is a bit hard to achieve it is still possible - see Porsche's GT3 and GT2, for example Smiley

Right Smiley The only difference for a perfect set-up is the ground clearance (NoS needs a bit more clearance unless you consistently drive the caroussel on the outer line Smiley).

And don't forget reliability Smiley During a three day course on NoS early August we had a F430 driver in our group - he brought an M3 as his T-car.....for some good reason as we found out soon Smiley

The armada of GT-Porsches suffered no single tech problem after 1,000 km (!) in two days in the Green Hell - awesome Smiley

--
    public roads: Porsche 987 S Seal/Cocoa, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

You are absolutely right - the reliability of Porsche's GT models is really amazing Smiley

BTW, my impression is that the Scuderia is also quite sturdy and reliable. While the visible build quality is only average (or even worse...) the Italians seem to have found a way to create a very robust structure anyhow...

reginos:

The relevance of NBR is that it resembles (or rather it is) a fast real world route. And top production cars are made to shine on such routes with all the irregularities and flaws. Proper tracks with special surfaces and artificial curves are the irrelevance in my way of thinking.

And in your part  of  the " fast real world " , police have cleared all traffic and pedestrians  so you can drive 10/10ths in your Ring optimized sports car !  What a great country you live in !!

It  sucks for us living in the US .

Smiley

MKW:
    reginos:

And in your part  of  the " fast real world " , police have cleared all traffic and pedestrians  so you can drive 10/10ths in your Ring optimized sports car !  What a great country you live in !!

It  sucks for us living in the US .

Smiley

Police usually focus on areas where "normal cars and drivers" drive fast breaking the speed limit, like highways, cities, major secondary roads and very well so for the protection of others. There are still "police free routes" where the enthusiast can enjoy his car, where the relative absence of traffic also makes it safer.

I'm sure that in CA there must be plenty of routes like that.

--

there are

reginos:

Not really, those winding " fantastic " driving roads  here in California that auto magazine writers review cars on are the first places tourists in their rental cars or giant campers head . And for many of them , they will savor the " once in a lifetime " experience ,i.e., puttering along in caravans at 25 mph . 

Being a life long Californian, there are still  challenging ,scenic  empty driving roads I have spent decades  discovering   , but many are far  from the coast where all the tourists go and where the majority of our 37 million road -clogging  residents live but require one to endure  driving through many hours of our flat straight farmlands to get there .

MKW:
    reginos:

Not really, those winding " fantastic " driving roads  here in California that auto magazine writers review cars on are the first places tourists in their rental cars or giant campers head . And for many of them , they will savor the " once in a lifetime " experience ,i.e., puttering along in caravans at 25 mph . 

Being a life long Californian, there are still  challenging ,scenic  empty driving roads I have spent decades  discovering   , but many are far  from the coast where all the tourists go and where the majority of our 37 million road -clogging  residents live but require one to endure  driving through many hours of our flat straight farmlands to get there .

I've visited CA three times since 2001 and each time I wished I had a chance to drive my Porsche there, whatever the limitations that you mention.

You guys are so lucky Smiley

--

I still manage to find plenty of open roads and I live on the SF penninsula. Skyline Blvd and 84 La Honda are two of my favorites, and while they can be congested at times, they are mostly free of traffic. You just have to go at the right times...

trip:

I still manage to find plenty of open roads and I live on the SF penninsula. Skyline Blvd and 84 La Honda are two of my favorites, and while they can be congested at times, they are mostly free of traffic. You just have to go at the right times...

Those roads you reference are just up the hill from where I live and I've driven them for more than 30 years ( and only fun mid week since they are in an urban area ) but they are done  in 20 -30 minutes each way  , whereas  the Gold Country and Central Sierra roads close to where I grew up go on for hours !

Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/24/17 2:38 AM
    JoeRockhead
    254903 1613
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/23/17 5:27 PM
    Grant
    228223 3480
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/22/17 8:31 PM
    LP997
    76457 1148
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/22/17 9:35 AM
    Gnil
    55998 565
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/22/17 10:22 PM
    SciFrog
    32762 316
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/23/17 7:04 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    22219 318
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 11/24/17 12:48 PM
    acky
    12457 225
    Porsche Sticky Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018) 9/1/17 3:15 AM
    turbolite
    9221 59
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5019 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    538539 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/22/17 10:44 AM
    Gnil
    446282 5791
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440603 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    249797 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/24/17 12:21 AM
    AP911
    242477 2512
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

229056 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/19/17 1:54 PM
    the-missile
    206836 2458
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173225 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    159201 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

158804 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/17 3:35 PM
    Topspeed
    134214 1169
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/17 12:01 AM
    noone1
    132408 2722
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122133 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

106373 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 9/11/17 9:24 AM
    RCA
    106237 1254
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105111 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/2/17 11:05 AM
    RCA
    102193 1825
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 11/12/17 3:18 PM
    nberry
    82949 753
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    79850 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    76982 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM