Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Michelin Pilot Super Sport

I have noticed that the new Michelin Super Sport tires are available here in Sweden. They however does not seem to be N-rated yet. At least not the tires on offer here. Anyone who got some info about this? Are they certified by Porsche yet and when can we expect to see them available on the market Smiley

I will order new summer shoes for my car in about 1 month or so and it would be great to have those new Michelins. Would it be dumb to buy non N-rated tires? What's the difference really? This is the spec of the tires I've seen available: 

Back: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 295/30 ZR19 100Y EL, UHP BSW
    Front: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 235/35 ZR19 91Y EL, UHP BSW

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Re: Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Hi Lukas, more info here:

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=19#p20194002

AFAIK they are available since a couple of months, but they are not available yet with the Porsche N rating, at least last time I checked, since I' also waiting for the Porsche version to fit them in my 997S. 

--

I am also waiting for them. The dealer here said they will be available in the next few weeks. Whatever that means...

--

997.2 Carrera S in Carrara White. PASM-Sport Suspension (-20 mm), PSE.

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

bluelines:

I am also waiting for them. The dealer here said they will be available in the next few weeks. Whatever that means...

Good to hear! Lets do this, the first one that finds out that they are available in Porsche rating, please post here. I'm cutting it short since my front can go for longer but my rears have at most 2 months left and when I change, I change the four at the same time. So keeping my finguers crossed.

--

Carlos - if timing goes against you and you need new tyres before the Super Sports are N-rated, why not give Bridgestone RE-050A's a try...

They came standard on my new GTS and, so far, I've found them equal if not better than PS2's!

Also they are quite a bit less expensive apparently - just a thought...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

I put the N1RE-050A's in January in place of the original PS2.

The B'stones are better in standing water. They seem to evacuate water faster. It's mostly dry here but when it rains there is a lot of standing water especially on motorways. In these circumstances Michelin felt wanting for more.

On dry roads I noticed that the feel of the rear is better with the B'stones. You feel more accurately what the rear is doing although I suspect ultimate grip is more with the Michelin.

B'stones also roll more softly compared to Michelin harsher  feel.

The only drawback I've noticed is that they "jump" more when bumps are encountered especially high frequency ones. The sidewalls on the B'stones are stiffer than MIchelin's.

Overall I found that they are very good all weather everyday use tyres. For ultra fast running on autobahns or tracking I cannot tell.

--

"Form follows function"

John H:

Carlos - if timing goes against you and you need new tyres before the Super Sports are N-rated, why not give Bridgestone RE-050A's a try...

They came standard on my new GTS and, so far, I've found them equal if not better than PS2's!

Agreed. I've got them on the Turbo and like them. They are at least equal to the Michelin I got on the red car. Smiley

--

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

John H:

Thanks guys! Thats a good idea, if the PSP don't come out soon enought I think I will! Smiley

--

John H:

Agreed! The N1 RE050A are quite good.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

@Carlos - Thanks for the link. Missed that one in that long thread

@Bluelines - Please let us know when your tires arrive. You have ordered them as N-rated?

Regarding the Bridgesontes I'll also give them positive verdict. I had them on my car before switching to the Pirelli wintertires that I have on my car right now. I actually have good thread on my front wheels for the Bridgestones so maybe I should go for some new Bridgestone rears intead when I'm chaning within a couple of weeks time. I was just so eager to try the new Michelins out but maybe it's just a hype.

--

Current: 997.2 C2S Meteorgrey/Black - PDK, PSE, LSD, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Sold: 997.1 C2S Black/Black - PSE, Adaptives, PCCB, -20mm/LSD, Short-shifter, SportChrono, Nav, BOSE, etc.

Hej Lukas,

I ordered them for the Boxster:

• Michelin PILOT SUPER SPORT XL 265/35R19 (98Y) rears
    • Michelin PILOT SUPER SPORT XL 235/35R19 (91Y) fronts

I have not seen any official information from Michelin about N-rated Pilot Super Sport.

--

987.1 Boxster S in Arctic Silver. OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Wheels, H&R Monotube Coil-Over Suspension, H&R Anti-Roll Bars, Sachs Racing Clutch, Single-Mass Flywheel, Recaro Pole Position Seats, PSE.

Tack Bluelines

Do you (or someone else) know if there is any downside related to put non N-rated tires on the car? What is the real difference between purchasing the same specification of the tires but without the N-rating? Are the tires different in any way with different pattern or something like this or is it just that N-rated tires go through a different verification procedure?

--

Lukas:

Tack Bluelines

Do you (or someone else) know if there is any downside related to put non N-rated tires on the car? What is the real difference between purchasing the same specification of the tires but without the N-rating? Are the tires different in any way with different pattern or something like this or is it just that N-rated tires go through a different verification procedure?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=26&

--

"Form follows function"

they are indeed different tires, the ones with the N rated are a result of Porsche doing their own testing and sending them back to the manufacturers with their indications until they get a result with which Porsche engineers are satisfied for the Porsche's handling and chasis characteristics, so they will be different especially the compounds. The PSPs are the replacement of the PS2s, a standard equipment tire in Porsches, so the PSP will come out with an N rating as well, though when will depend on when Porsche is satisfied with the tire's performance and wear they achieved. I expect that they will have it for the summer season or sure
    --

I don't think there will be a massive difference between the standard PSP and the N rated ones.

If it's good enough for a 599 GTO, it should be good enough for any Carreras.

I ordered a complete set and they have just been fitted on my Carrera GT, albeit in 345 at the rear instead of 335Smiley, they just about fit the standard rims!

One other owner had it done and the results are apparently spectacular!!! I can't wait to try them.

One problem if you fit standard PSP is that it might void the warranty if you still have one.

My GT is way out of warranty and the job is being done by Porsche Reading, so not a problem.

Futch:

I ordered a complete set and they have just been fitted on my Carrera GT, albeit in 345 at the rear instead of 335Smiley, they just about fit the standard rims!

So no official replacement tires for the Carrera GT apart from the original-spec Michelin? Surprising to see that Porsche, offering and recommending n-rated tires even for their vintage cars, is not able to supply a contemporary tire for their most recent supercar.

There will be available in time, but like Carlos said, it seems the homologation is taking a long time and I don't like waiting.Smiley

My GT has new shoes, Michelin supersport with 345 in the back!Smiley

I will pick the car up hopefully 1st of April and give you a full report, at least partial, just for the road, trackday will come later.

I am the third owner to have them fitted at Porsche GB and the previous two are literally over the moon!

Performance are said to be close to the Pilot cup without the poor wet performance, what more can you ask for!

Futch:

My GT has new shoes, Michelin supersport with 345 in the back!Smiley

I will pick the car up hopefully 1st of April and give you a full report, at least partial, just for the road, trackday will come later.

I am the third owner to have them fitted at Porsche GB and the previous two are literally over the moon!

Performance are said to be close to the Pilot cup without the poor wet performance, what more can you ask for!

SmileySmileySmiley

Looking forward to the report. Remember, a picture says more than a thousand words Smiley

--

Heres what i Found on another Forum, Looks like we will all have to wait for The N specs. I have also new ps 2, havent put them on yet. I guess it doesnt make sense to Wait for The PSS so untill then i will use The PS2 and try to use them As hard As possible to get The PSS As soon As they will Be releeased. http://www.pistonheads.com/Gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=981883&nmt=Michelin%20Pilot%20Super%20Sport%20..%20response%20from%20Michelin Cheers Nick

I heard that we may have to wait for the 991 to launch before Super Sports get N-rated...

Not sure if this means they won't be available for 997 variants..

--

John H:

I heard that we may have to wait for the 991 to launch before Super Sports get N-rated...

Not sure if this means they won't be available for 997 variants..

They will have to offer sizes for the 997 variants since they are stoping production of PS2 AFAIK and the PSS are their substitutesSmiley

Personally I'm done waiting for these to become N-rated, they are taking too long and may very well come with the 991 as you say if they haven't released them yet. Next week I will be getting a set of 4xRE050A's for the 997S. 

--

If you use the car on the road, the Bridgestone are very satisfactory and cheaper than PS2. Better when it rains.

I'm very happy overall.

--

"Form follows function"

Good to hear. Rain is a big thing for me since I do a lot of highway and it rains here in the winter and there is the problem with aquaplanning at high speeds.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Good to hear. Rain is a big thing for me since I do a lot of highway and it rains here in the winter and there is the problem with aquaplanning at high speeds.

I suspect that PSS will be less suited to rain than PS2, by looking at the tread pattern.

--

"Form follows function"

They may be better when it's PSSing down with rain...

--

According to the press kit they are better in the wet than the PS2s..  AND a lot better on the track..   I look forward to trying a set.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

True, I have read reports form tirerack for example and they post faster lap times and stats in the wet for the PSS over the PS2, but my problem not actual grip on wet but rather is ability to evacuate standing water... i.e aquaplanning resistance. If you get any info or experiencein this respect pplease let me know 

--

Just put some of the new Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position tires on mine. They are fantastic. Bridgestone always beats Michelin in the performance market.

I have Bridgestone RE050A N1 and they are fantastic tires. They have 8500 miles and they feel like new, even though the tread is about 60-70% gone in the rear.

The Bridge S04 should be the competitors to the PSS. Re N-rating, I suspect PAG will rate the PSS for the 991, but I am not so sure it will rate them for the 997, even if the PS2 is gone. We shall see.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/18/18 10:43 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    403768 5190
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/20/18 11:03 AM
    RCA
    320861 1975
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/19/18 8:56 AM
    GnilM
    272533 2970
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

211341 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/15/18 6:23 PM
    BONES
    191967 2674
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/20/18 1:57 PM
    SciFrog
    123215 2424
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 11/15/18 12:15 PM
    RCA
    32274 316
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14047 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13326 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    523445 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483337 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278986 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/16/18 11:30 AM
    RCA
    264073 2611
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191544 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/20/18 2:09 PM
    BiTurbo
    190095 1755
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178894 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142739 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/20/18 9:26 AM
    RCA
    142415 2244
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128294 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111644 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106514 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/20/18 12:37 PM
    reginos
    85023 1137
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66643 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57197 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46679 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    43269 1395
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42818 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41266 597
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    39327 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    39053 637
    283 items found, displaying 1 to 30.