Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Designers AT Porsche are probably not completely happy.

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Wheel shortage could be caused by many factors. Too many S versions ordered, guys wanting the S wheels to "pose" or to have the 19s.

I doubt the wheels are in demand because of their aesthetics.

Not a matter of personal taste, probably the lack of personal taste because if you look at the car as a whole, the wheels do not "match" any of the car's other design elements. Maybe the excessive notchiness and perforations of the wheel refer visually back to the buttonage of the center console? I dunno.

very odd, maybe they look appropriate for autocross, or SUV sturdiness. But nobody will ever call them elegant or beautiful.

Odd looking and hard to connect them visually to the rest of the car.

Kinda like a gorgeous woman in a beautiful party dress who, you do a double take on because she accessorised a bit oddly. yeah, you can learn to like her choice, but it will take a little work... but, may be well worth the effort.

Max,

Why do you find it necessary to make a blanket statement and put down people? WHO gives you the right to say that if you like the 19" S wheels that you have no personal taste? Or that if you buy a 997 and add 19" S wheels you are a posuer? From the beginning, you have complained on every aspect of the 997. Next I assume that you are going to complain that the engine is in the rear. If you do not like the 997 that is fine, but do not start knocking down people cause they like it.

Quote:
    vtrader said:

Max,

Why do you find it necessary to make a blanket statement and put down people? WHO gives you the right to say that if you like the 19" S wheels that you have no personal taste? Or that if you buy a 997 and add 19" S wheels you are a posuer? From the beginning, you have complained on every aspect of the 997. Next I assume that you are going to complain that the engine is in the rear. If you do not like the 997 that is fine, but do not start knocking down people cause they like it.

Face it, the wheels don't match the rest of the car. Can anyone see why THOSE wheels are on THAT car?

If you like them you're just settling for what Porsche gives you, or trhey remind you of the wheels on your monster truck, I dunno.

That's not a good enough reason for me.

Until it someone explains those wheels from a design standpoint, or I figure it out via an epiphany, I'll be perplexed _why_ anyone likes them from an overall design standpoint.

If you say you like them from a design standpoint you should explain to me why those wheels make sense on the car. No one's done that yet.

If you say you like them because you had similar wheels on your SUV, well that's fine reason and I certainly wouldn't put anybody down for that!

To me those wheels wound up on that car because some pig-headed marketing boss guy overruled the more educated and informed recommendations for wheels made by the design/styling team at Porsche.

Fine Max, you do not like the wheels. No one said you had to. But nobody has accused you of being a poseur or having no personal taste for not liking the wheels.

Yet you continue to put people down because they don't agree with you. You do not know what kind of cars I have had in the past. In fact, my first car was a Porsche. And guess what, my second car was also a Porsche. And guess what, I have seen the 997, unlike you, that complains about it all the time, yet you have not even bothered to take the time to go see it. And guess what also, I have never owned an SUV.

Your continued idiotic comments will forever put you on ignore because I can not find one intelligent comment you have made or have contributed anything of significance to this forum.

Quote:

Face it, the wheels don't match the rest of the car. Can anyone see why THOSE wheels are on THAT car?

If you like them you're just settling for what Porsche gives you, or trhey remind you of the wheels on your monster truck, I dunno.

Until it someone explains those wheels from a design standpoint, or I figure it out via an epiphany, I'll be perplexed _why_ anyone likes them from an overall design standpoint.

If you say you like them from a design standpoint you should explain to me why those wheels make sense on the car. No one's done that yet.

If you say you like them because you had similar wheels on your SUV, well that's fine reason and I certainly wouldn't put anybody down for that!

To me those wheels wound up on that car because some pig-headed marketing boss guy overruled the more educated and informed recommendations for wheels made by the design/styling team at Porsche.

Max, the only taste you have is in your mouth. "Explain" the design of the wheels? Would a verbal or typewritten explanation suddenly make the wheels more appealing to you? If you don't get it, you don't get it. Do I have to explain the Mona Lisa, a Chopin etude or a Brioni suit to you as well? Car design is an artform too and as such doesn't need explanation. You like it or you don't. You buy it or you don't. If you don't like it and you still buy it...well I think there's a man named Freud in your future.

I hope my suspicion that you simply post here to get a rise out of the board is true and that you don't really believe the things you post here. If I'm wrong, I'm very sad for you.

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:

I hope my suspicion that you simply post here to get a rise out of the board is true and that you don't really believe the things you post here. If I'm wrong, I'm very sad for you.

i also hope ,but not only he dont believe what he is saying ,but he dont know what he is talking about.imagine with all this talking ,he still didnt see the car live...

Quote:
    Jeff (in SF) said:
    Quote:

Max, the only taste you have is in your mouth. "Explain" the design of the wheels? Would a verbal or typewritten explanation suddenly make the wheels more appealing to you? If you don't get it, you don't get it. Do I have to explain the Mona Lisa, a Chopin etude or a Brioni suit to you as well? Car design is an artform too and as such doesn't need explanation. You like it or you don't. You buy it or you don't. If you don't like it and you still buy it...well I think there's a man named Freud in your future.

Explain wheels: designers "justify" aspects of their designs by reiterating them within a design. This is best done visually.

In this regard I can't see ANY justification for those wheels being on that car. oops, the only one I can see is maybe the center console notchiness and slotted-ness.

Eaplain the Mona Lisa? When you learn a classical piano piece you go almost insane analyzing the ATOMISTIC details of the music. It is a total contrast to eventually performing the piece. In one case it is totally detailed craziness almost in the performance it is TOTAL letting go.

So YES: you can explain music and art structurally. Aesthetics of design for everyday objects is EASY to explain because it is eventually based on utility.

I don't like the wheels but I'll buy the car anyway and get then optional wheels. I don't like the garrish silver trim on the center console so I plan to have it painted. I don't get what's Freudian about it.

I don't know why you say you are "very sad" for me. You don't even know me. Is if fair for me to assume either you are very snobby and presumptuous, like that Beirut guy, or trying to offend me, like that guy from Beirut?

Quote:
    dhayek said:imagine with all this talking ,he still didnt see the car live...

I test drove the suckka a couple weeks ago. Felt like a 996 to me, but dealer doesn't have a track in back to compare the two.

Quote:
    vtrader said:

Your continued idiotic comments will forever put you on ignore because I can not find one intelligent comment you have made or have contributed anything of significance to this forum.

Good luck with that !

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Can anyone see why THOSE wheels are on THAT car?

Maybe THEY are on IT to keep IT off the GROUND?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:

Is this statement based on inside information?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Quote:

I test drove the suckka a couple weeks ago. Felt like a 996 to me

and this is the final proof you still didnt saw the car ....

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Quote:

I test drove the suckka a couple weeks ago. Felt like a 996 to me

and this is the final proof you still didnt saw the car ....

No, not really. The 997S will be totally under utilized in the USA where speed limits are low.

"Test driving" the car around the dealers neighborhood, on freeway on ramps and short bursts of acceleration in the passing lane on a crowded urban highway doesn't make the differences between two generations of cars sand out.

I, like most all USA 997 buyers am just buying it for the mystique and the heritage and looks of the car: like buying art. The true nature of the car expressed by HP and the handling is all routinely "appreciated" at very low speeds.

Some of the best driving I ever did while living in Stuttgart-Botnang for three years was not only on the Autobahn. It was on twisty, banked mountain roads. That is where a Porsche comes alive. That is mostly what owning the vehicle is about for me.

Botnang? I have relatives in Botnang!

Have you visited Jürgen Klinsmanns bakery?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/18/18 10:43 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    403734 5190
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/20/18 11:03 AM
    RCA
    320833 1975
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/19/18 8:56 AM
    GnilM
    272407 2970
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

211335 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/15/18 6:23 PM
    BONES
    191929 2674
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/20/18 1:57 PM
    SciFrog
    123153 2424
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 11/15/18 12:15 PM
    RCA
    32269 316
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14046 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13326 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    523413 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483336 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278968 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/16/18 11:30 AM
    RCA
    264058 2611
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191541 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/20/18 2:09 PM
    BiTurbo
    190049 1755
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178886 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142737 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/20/18 9:26 AM
    RCA
    142372 2244
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128285 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111642 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106511 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/20/18 12:37 PM
    reginos
    84984 1137
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66639 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57195 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46677 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    43262 1395
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42818 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41263 597
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/19/18 8:31 AM
    RCA
    39323 472
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    39053 637
    283 items found, displaying 1 to 30.