Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Paint to sample

Anyone with experience or knowledge about ordering paint to sample?

Went to dealer again yesterday, saw slate and saw midnight blue. Liked slate, the wife not so much ...

We have a color in mind but was told an extra 6-9 months wait past the build date if we go that route and the dealer said that they don't come out that good...Is that accurate and would anyone recommend or have any experience going that route?

We also talked about maybe getting one that is in stock and having it painted but not sure if that is wise as i believe that the paint quality will never be as good as factory...what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Kamal.

Re: Paint to sample

It's unfortunate your wife does not like slate grey. Does she like white (although I gather you'd prefer a darker color)?
    Cocoa works with meteor, basalt or black as well.

Your dealer is correct, paint to sample is expensive and adds at least 6 months to lead time. I suspect your dealer is trying to talk you out of it, because if you back out of the deal, he'll have a harder time selling it than cheaper colors.

Paint to sample does come with its surprises. Not because the factory will do a poor paint job, but because samples aren't necessarily faithful (if ordering from a catalogue) or easily reproducible (if you bring them your own sample)... IMHO old Porsche colors are safest, if you've seen it in the flesh, there won't be too many surprises.

Leather to sample, on the other hand, generally turns out terrible because the ordering process is quite arcane, and customers/dealers generally forget a few key parts. Maybe it's what your dealer had in mind.

I'd strongly advise you against repainting the car, as it will be very difficult to resell it later. New, different paint = concealed accident to most buyers.
    Better order white, then have a (removable) colored film applied on top of the paint.

It also depends on your order date too. I believe that the cutoff date is March for this year's production so that's another thing to keep in mind. If your build date is next fall then you're good to go. Like Mr Groom (what's your name anyways) says, I'd advise you to go with something safe like an existing color in Porsche's archives. Check out these threads for ideas:

Blue:
    http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-turbo/873-all-shades-blue-offered-porsche.html

Green:
    http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-turbo/1959-green-machine-all-shades-green-offered-porsche.html

Red:
    http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-turbo/1651-red-thread-reds-purples-pinks.html

Yellow:
    http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-turbo/1633-all-yellows-offered-porsche.html

Groom, I know you'd love these threads! We had fun putting it together on Teamspeed especially U Boat Commander.

Oh, I think you have to be a member to see the pictures. It's definitely worth it to sign up, trust me on that. These are incredible threads. Some of my favorites!

Are there colors in current other Porsche models (Boxster, Cayman, etc.), or older Porsche cars that come close to what you have in mind? This might be the safer and faster than paint-to-sample. If you post what you are thinking of, I suspect Mr. Groom, Atomic, etc., will have a suggestion for a Porsche color that approximates it.

I would most definitely not recommend re-painting the car!

BTW, this process, which option , which color , which leather piece , which steering wheel , PCCB or not , is what OCD Porsche nuts go through when ordering their cars, you are not alone. Make it fun and enjoy it!

Quote:
    Kamal911 said:
    Anyone with experience or knowledge about ordering paint to sample?

Went to dealer again yesterday, saw slate and saw midnight blue. Liked slate, the wife not so much ...

We have a color in mind but was told an extra 6-9 months wait past the build date if we go that route and the dealer said that they don't come out that good...Is that accurate and would anyone recommend or have any experience going that route?

We also talked about maybe getting one that is in stock and having it painted but not sure if that is wise as i believe that the paint quality will never be as good as factory...what do you guys think?

Thanks,

Kamal.

Thanks for the input guys,

Groom: We are not worried too much about resale because we both usually drive cars until they cant drive anymore and have no plans on selling. She didnt mind the white but your right i deff perfer a darker color.

Atomic: Thanks for the links, was deff a fun thread to see.

Cannga: The only color the wife and I both seem to like(agree with) is a color called autumn copper (it is an 2008 infiniti FX color and is a mix of red and orange, looks great in person) but looks totally orange online. (Will search for a good pic to post.)

we think that it may go well with the cocoa interior (even thinking about maybe adding dark orange stiching to tie it in more)

To make our decision ever harder my dealer just called me and offered me 10k off their instock macadamia.

here is a sample to give an idea of the color we are looking for.

Another

I figured i would add a few of mine while i was at it.

another one

I think I have your answer for you then...

In the first picture, the FX35/45 looks like Ruby Red which is a standard color for the 997TT. This isn't a 997TT but it's a 997 at least.

And then the second picture, it looks a lot like Nordic Gold which I don't believe is a standard color for the 997TT but I'm sure is available through their color-to-sample program.

I wouldn't get the front vanes colored

Adding some of the exterior to the interior is a nice touch

Nordic gold would look gorgeous with a black, sand or natural brown or grey interior.

Good one Atomic. It never ceases to amaze me how MMD and you *always* manage to have some pictures of anything people ask about.

Kamal,

If you must have that Infinity color and must have the Cocoa leather, my vote would be Nordic Gold plus Cocoa. Both have yellowish/brownish tone so would be a better match than Cobalt Blue and Cocoa. To complete the color coordination though, I'd think the Yellow Brake is a must. Just kidding, ok, maybe half kidding.

10k off is a significant discount! I have heard of such deduction but there would be something "funny" like it's connected to a trade-in where the dealer gains on the trade-in value, but never by itself. That tells me two things: One, you could probably ask for 5k off on an ordered-to-spec car from this dealer, two, that brown is an extremely unpopular color.

Yea Atomic, thanks for the pics...I must of googled the s#*t out of orange 977 and got nothing but the gt3...

Can, i was just as surprised as you when the dealer offered 10k off without trade...all I did was call him to say i wasn't going with brown and wanted to order one instead. He called me back in 5 min with no build date and the new price of the macadamia.

We saw a Nordic gold cayenne yesterday at the dealer and thought it was too light in color in person (looks great in pictures) so we finally decided to just paint to sample it with the Infiniti color.(And wait it out )

Only thing now is trying to figure out weather or not i can still get an 08 build date...I found a dealer with a June build but with the color to sample pushing out the actual build 3-6 months the sales person is not sure that they will let me have that date. Instead he thinks that the sales manager will have me wait for an 09 build date before he takes my order. had the sales person ask if he would let me have that date would I still get an 08 or will i get an 09. Ill let you guys know as soon as i find out.

All I can do now is pick everyone's brain and hope it's worth the wait.

Paint To Sample is not that bad, really, if you are patient. (You can always read my article in Feb 08 Porsche Panorama for details).

First off, I would recommend a color from Porsche's past. Go to the dealership and as kthem for past color charts. They should have an archive of these. (Many dealerships today have so many new salesmen they know nothing of this). Or, you can check out a place called www.paintscratch.com and see what you might think is close and then spend a few bucks on a tube or a spray car of the colors you're interested in. Then decide. Keep in mind that PORSCHE is the final authority on what they can and can't paint at this point in time. Over time they test various paint colors from the past and have determined if they can successfully paint that color or not. Be prepared to wait. I recall waiting 90 days for them to come back and say, "pick another color." No explanation,--just choose again! Patience, and time, need to be a consideration for you. It this point you are clearly dealing with a MY09 car because you are already inside the cut off (30 Mar 08) for a P-T-Sample car in MY08.

Dan

I think he wants Zanzibar Red, a 996 color.

Another possibility, Coral Red Metallic.

Lastly, Salmon Metallic

I don't think Kamal went through the entire threads I posted earlier on Teamspeed. Either that or he must not have signed up for it and been able to see the pictures. In any case, I believe they decide to go with Atlas grey + Cocoa brown.

Thanks atomic, I did go through the teamspeed thread you sent and by looking at the different shades of red/orange offered in the past, we were able to get a good idea of what the car would look like... it was the really long wait for the paint to sample that deterred us from going that route...

We did take everyone's advice and picked a color that i knew would look good, be happy with and easier for Porsche to produce...

Everyone on this forum has been great in offering help and have kept my best interest in mind...Thanks everyone.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 8/12/18 8:22 PM
    GnilM
    343816 4918
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 8/8/18 1:20 AM
    watt
    303870 1893
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 7/21/18 6:45 AM
    bluelines

200116 1067
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 8/14/18 12:16 PM
    the-missile
    147304 2345
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 8/14/18 8:44 AM
    Paulo_Rangel_Melo
    147047 1772
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 8/14/18 1:27 PM
    the-missile
    79147 1965
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 8/14/18 2:17 PM
    RCA
    19881 261
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    8269 31
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 8/14/18 7:44 AM
    the-missile
    7104 82
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    587551 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    492981 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    472011 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 6/16/18 10:15 PM
    DJM48
    264596 2584
    Porsche Cayman GT4 8/9/18 9:46 AM
    Spyderidol
    242516 2493
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    184032 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 8/13/18 5:35 PM
    koko
    173558 1581
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 7/31/18 4:23 PM
    lexs4
    162674 3102
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/14/18 2:27 PM
    bluelines
    134600 727
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 7/31/18 2:48 PM
    bobr
    126187 2156
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    120529 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    105629 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    101136 871
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM