Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne facelift impressions new vs old

I saw the new Cayenne S/TT and compared the old vs the new side by side. My impression was quite different from what I got form the pictures, and in real life I was able to judge the visual effect of the different lines and details, which weren't evident in the 2D pictures.

Firstly while the new Cayenne is the same size, looking at it from the rear, the new one looks visually wider. Mainly because of the more rectangular side contour-edge of the rear lights, the bigger rear apron reaching bellow the exhaust tips, and the deletion of the chrome lip under the rear window making the panel look wider (The aluminum lip made it look narrower and to me it stood out too much visually, specially now when you compare both side by side, it becomes more eveident).

The rear exhausts integrated into the bumper make it look more modern, that is the trend nowadays making them part of the styling, and not coming from under the fascia. But I did notice that the twin pipe of the Turbo version looks maybe a bit too busy when integrated into the bumper, and dare to say that the big single exhaust tip of the S looks better. This did not happen in the old version when they came from under and up, but when integrated into the bumper they look cramped.

Also the rear of the new model looks sportier & more aggressive in general also becuase the bottom of the bumper which in the new model it has a lip with a three compartment division ala ///M aerokit, which in the old model it simply curved inwards at the bottom. Itsb like an aerokit or sportdesign bumper as standard. And another sportier detail is the standard rear wing which is now noticeably longer and larger, like the pre-facelift's sportdesign version.

On the side view not much has changed, the main diference I see are the side mirros which now they are not square and truck looking, but have more shape and contour, they look a bit more stylish., but its only a small detail. The underneath of the mirror is curved so as to create an air current that cleans the new acrophilic side windows, much like the double spoke design of the 997 mirrors.

The front is what changed most for me compared to the pictures. In real life you notice that the headlights are not only narrower in height but it becomes evident that they are much much wider. After loking at these, when you takje your eyes back to the old model, you see them now as too roundish and feminine, whereas in the pictures the impression of agresiveness may have been the other way around. Curious.

The fact that the front bumper ends in a more angled way, not as roundish, makes it look wider as well, because the lateral edge of the front is more squarish, with the grill and lights going all the way to the edge of the front fascia, while one the old version the were more to the midddle.

And in the S, the city/position lights being vertical on the edge it adds to this illusion (though they look awkward compared to the TT in which the are in a more natural horizontal position) And the grill being split horizontally into three, instead of two as in the old version, makes it look more aggressive as well.

On the other hand the front seen from a lateral looks more pointed, sharper, less overall height from top to bottom. The old version was rounder. I think that the new version bumber should come lower on the bottom or maybe its because I'm used to sportcars where you don't whant so much space under the front bumper. Interestingly, the TT apperas to go down further but this is only an illusion from the larger front grill. In fact the front fascia of S and the TT have roughtly the same height.

Also the headlights themselves look more modern and stand out quite a bit visually because the interior bits are so shiny and independant. I think this will become clearly as the most visisble differentiating feature between the two versions on the street for lay people.

The interior is much the same but a small detail that makes a big difference in the interior is the fact that the new model ccomes with the leather "stitched", on the dashboard etc. just like the 911 which visually makes it look more stylish and elegant.

After having seen the new Cayenne I belileve that the SportDesign pack is not as interesting an option as it was on the old model. The only thing that changes in the new model is that the bottom of the bumpers are painted to body color wereas the stadard is not, but they are the same shape!! also the side skirts you can get independatly without the sportdesign. And sicne the bumpers are the same shape, if you get the side skirts without the sportdesign front and rear bumper, you won't get that strange appearance of the sideskirts being lower than the bumpers underside you get when you mix sideskits with standard bumpers. The side skirts will be available from July onwards and will probably retriofit them.

The sportdesign's rear wing is a double layer type rear wing which on a SUV it look too ricey for my taste. The size is similar, its just that its more busy in the sportdesign.

The optional metal under plates on back and specially on front would look very good however with the new bumper design.

It hard to get rid of the image of the old model to which our eyes have acustomed to,l but trying hard to detach from that, the old model next to the new one clearly looks more outdated in its shapes and details, less agressive. Once we get used to the new looks in a few months as when start to see the new model in the streets everyday, it will become more apparent, but the changes exteriroly are not that big overall.

Bottom line though the changes aren't huge, so the old model isn't going to look bad all of a sudden, far from it, it looks the same idea, only that the new model will look a bit more modern IMO. Just like the 996 now that the 997 has been out for a while, whereas at the beginning it was less. Side by side its more apparent buy its not a drastic change.

Re: Cayenne facelift impressions new vs old

Hi Carlos,

I'm going to the launch this Saturday. I have a feeling I will get the same impression as you. From photo's I wasn't blown away to begin with anyways. The lack of change in the interior is also not a good plus for the car.

Will take plently pics for you guys!

I think we all had preconcieved expectations of a bigger change in styling, and its really not a big break away from the pre-facelift. The changes are more within that on the outside.

The single biggest differences on each department I would say are:

- Engine: more power and specially more torque with better milage
    - Chasis: the new PDCC, everyone that I have talkied to that tried it said its very noticeable both on rad and off road.
    - Interior: stiched leather.
    - Exterior: overall rear view, and front lights.

Carlos that was a really good write up about the visual changes.

Got an invitation as well. Not really in the market for a Cayenne, but they are serving drinks and food!

Carlos,
    Thanks for a great write up...When I looked at the pictures of the '08, I didn't see any radical improvements that would sway me from purchasing the existing model..plus given the discounts the dealers were offering on current model it made it an easy choice.

I went to the dealer today to take a look at the Turbo that I ordered.

I looks great from all angles, but was quite disappointed to see what looks like a T bracket (large) right in the middle of the front (middle) air intake. It looks like a very cheap piece of metal...

What is that? Can one get rid of this?

Very strange thing to see in the middle of such a large intake...

Thoughts...

Re: Cayenne new vs old (comparison pics)

OK I shot these pics in order to see what I'm talking about, you can clearly see the differences in the pics with a new to and old version side by side

- The biggest change is the front, notice the much wider front fascia on the facelift. the front is wider to accomodate the wider headlights, and also the grill is much larger (more grill area) and reaches to the later sides of the front. Wereas in the old version its got more of a feminine "puckered lips" look with the headlights being round and the front grill more medial. The grill desing is also more agrresive now.

- notice the wider appearance of the mid section from the back, and more aggresive lights and inf bumper. The pre-facelif cayenne is closer to the camera so take it into account when judging perspective.

Here is a composite of comparaison of different details: the side mirror more angular design on the facelift, the wider headlight, the grill, the underside below the fog lights in the facelift comes lower, the larger rear wing, and the more angular rear lights that also make the rear "look" wider.

very nice... thanks Carlos!

cool observation. thanks a million carlos.

Carlos were you able to see how the LEDs look in the back?

Sorry, it didn't occur to me check to see how they lighted up.

Nice comparison Carlos!

Just a question though, if the new car looks so much wider. Won't the wheels like like biscuits compared to the old one? IMO the old Cayenne's wheels were already too narrow in proportion with the rest of the car as it was.

I didn't get that impression, I guess because the side overall proportions are the same, in the rear-view its only a slight visual effect and does not affect it, and in the front-view the width measured at the wheel/wheel arch is the same, what is different is that the front of the new one is wider at the very front, but when you retrace back to the wheel arches, they are already the same width.

But IMO 20" SportTechnos are a must, smaller wheels do look indeed like pizza slicers on the Cayennes

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Nice comparison Carlos!

Just a question though, if the new car looks so much wider. Won't the wheels like like biscuits compared to the old one? IMO the old Cayenne's wheels were already too narrow in proportion with the rest of the car as it was.

a good reason to get the 21" wheels and wheel arc extensions...

Thanks for the comparision Carlos. Your pics have really helped and reasured us over the last few days that we made the right decision in choosing the original Cayenne styling for our purchase this week. We have referred back to your pictures often and they even helped convinced my wife
    IMHO:
    - the new front is showing 'too many teeth' whereas the previous version has a more solid and attractive/ flowing 'jaw-line'.
    - the new front headlights have an appearance which is too aggressive with the narrowed eyes and less 'bug-like' as with the original which were nice and simple with a flowing shape matching the overall look better.
    - The rear lights just look silly as if they have been 'ever so slightly changed' purely to differentitate from the older version which used a simple shape again matching the overall look very well. It would have been a better idea to make the change more subtle by using the LEDs with the same older shape.
    - The enclosure around the exhausts is not my taste either, just doesn't look right..
    Anyhow I guess when you already have the perfect shape and design - how do you improve on it? Porsche aren't the first to do this though, memories of the BMW Z3 to Z4 design transition (yuk) and even the Mk2 Toyota MR2 to the awful Mk3 ring bells for me. But there again my taste may not be representative of the target majority as I am more of a 'classicalist' rather than 'modernist'
    Just my two cents worth!
    Thanks again Carlos!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    I think we all had preconcieved expectations of a bigger change in styling, and its really not a big break away from the pre-facelift. The changes are more within that on the outside.

- Chasis: the new PDCC, everyone that I have talkied to that tried it said its very noticeable both on rad and off road.

By "stitched leather" do you mean that the dashboard leather, which was optional before, is standard now?

Quote:
    2chavs said:
    Thanks for the comparision Carlos. Your pics have really helped and reasured us over the last few days that we made the right decision in choosing the original Cayenne styling for our purchase this week. We have referred back to your pictures often and they even helped convinced my wife
    IMHO:
    - the new front is showing 'too many teeth' whereas the previous version has a more solid and attractive/ flowing 'jaw-line'.
    - the new front headlights have an appearance which is too aggressive with the narrowed eyes and less 'bug-like' as with the original which were nice and simple with a flowing shape matching the overall look better.
    - The rear lights just look silly as if they have been 'ever so slightly changed' purely to differentitate from the older version which used a simple shape again matching the overall look very well. It would have been a better idea to make the change more subtle by using the LEDs with the same older shape.
    - The enclosure around the exhausts is not my taste either, just doesn't look right..
    Anyhow I guess when you already have the perfect shape and design - how do you improve on it? Porsche aren't the first to do this though, memories of the BMW Z3 to Z4 design transition (yuk) and even the Mk2 Toyota MR2 to the awful Mk3 ring bells for me. But there again my taste may not be representative of the target majority as I am more of a 'classicalist' rather than 'modernist'
    Just my two cents worth!
    Thanks again Carlos!

The comparison works both ways, so glad it helped out

Quote:
    03LX470 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

By "stitched leather" do you mean that the dashboard leather, which was optional before, is standard now?

No, the dashboard leather is still optional, but before, the unions to the eye was simply joined, now it is visibly stiched, you can see the stiches that joins the leather parts in the dash.

Carlos the comparison really helped me in making the decesion to wait for the facelift. Thanks alot !! It really made me feel confident after some negative feedback from other on the design. To me the design is perfect

I was wondering do u have any idea abt the PSE and is it worth it ??

I was told by someone who heard it at the official dealer presentation in Cadiz that he was impresed by the sound it made at high revs, he said the V8 made a sporty growl. But I haven't heard it myself so I can't say

Personaly if I was spec'ing a Cayenne for myself I would include this extra, but maybe its because I have it on the 997 and I love it so much. I guessing that the V8 will sound great with a less restrictive exhaust if they follow the same philosophy as in the 997.

I attended the presentation in Madrid that took place at the race track "Jarama." The car looks great and sounds great with the PSE.

I was lucky to test drive the Turbo and the V6 on the track. The Turbo is one impressive car. I have a C4S and never believed the Cayenne could be driven in this way. The Turbo has a lot of power but I was even more impressed by the handdling. The turbo i drove had the new PDCC, this is an expensive but very impressive option. I test drove the Turbo 1st and then the V6 Cayenne. You can really notice the PDCC working. Not sure how to describe in English but going fast the car was completely neutral in the curves, no tilt. The Turbo looked great, much better to my personal taste than the previous model. Very aggressive.

The V6 was so slow compared to the Turbo that it was not even funny. Again the car is probably great but I would recommend not testing it after you drive the Turbo as you will be disapointed. The handdling is also very different as it did not have PASM or PDCC.

I agree with u guys on the V6 being slow. But the newer engine shld be an improvement over the previous version. Presently I have a V6 3.2 Touareg and i so wish i had gotten the V8 engine. Hopefully the Cayenne S will be my next car the only part is getting the right Option !!

any chance you can snap a pic of the rear and front LED's on? Have not seen a REAL pic yet... thanks a million!

Will try, but not plsnning on going to the dealership in the next days. Maybe Sidney can do this since he just picked up his new Cayenne

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/18/18 3:06 PM
    Topspeed
    402967 5189
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/17/18 12:03 AM
    Pilot
    320358 1966
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/18/18 4:03 AM
    Spyderidol
    269773 2962
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

211186 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/15/18 6:23 PM
    BONES
    191067 2674
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/18/18 5:14 AM
    ZahirD
    122048 2410
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 11/15/18 12:15 PM
    RCA
    32132 316
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    14004 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13292 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    522878 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483261 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278700 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/16/18 11:30 AM
    RCA
    263747 2611
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191470 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/17/18 4:47 AM
    koko
    189418 1738
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178711 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142703 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/1/18 6:13 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    141896 2234
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128218 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111606 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106483 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/18/18 1:10 PM
    farina
    84413 1127
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66603 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57181 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46641 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    43153 1395
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42811 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41243 597
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/16/18 9:46 PM
    Topspeed
    39195 471
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    39037 637
    284 items found, displaying 1 to 30.