Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    Tiptronic S Questions

    Hello. I want to ask you guys wath is your opinion on the tipronic gearbox on a 997? I have an 997 4S but it will arive in 2 weeks and i am courios to know what you think of it. Haw bad is the 0-100kph influenced and if i do a brake start(foot on the brake,accelerate and the let go of the brake) will a get a better time that the factory 5.3 sec or it will just damage the gearbox? How about the selling value,will i get less or more after some year then a manual? Also i was wondering if there are any problems with this gearbox. Hope you can give me some info. Thanks a lot...

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    I have a tiptronic C2S with sport exhaust, and tried booth brake boosting and normal acceleration. I never got a launch time better than the factory. Note that these tests are difficult to measure (you need specialized equipment).

    The gearbox is a bit boring, but it improves a lot with sport chrono ON.

    No problems with me so far. Built like a tank (12,000 km).

    Resale value depends on your unique market. In Saudi tips are in demand.

    Good luck with your car.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    The gearbox is a bit boring, but it improves a lot with sport chrono ON.


    I agree. The sport chrono is a must with the tip. I got the tip because my legs are too long and the steering wheel does not telescope enough for me. I've never tried to do 0-60 times, so I can't comment. Once the DSG is out I'll probably look into that, BUT I would prefer that Porsche makes the future models with a steering wheel that telescopes more..

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    If I'd known better, I'd have gotten a manual.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Tiptronic on the Turbo is faster than the manual.

    BUT: Tip isn't the final word because Porsche is coming out with a DSG soon.

    Soooo, instead of Tiptronic I'd wait for the DSG (I personally will definitely get DSG over a manual) or get the manual; unless my wife wanted to drive the car or if I had lots of CA or NYC commuting traffic.


    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    couple of questions.

    Does that mean the DSG will replace the tip, or its just another option between manual, auto and DSG?

    Does launching using the brake harm the transmission or brakes?

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    dnp_now said:
    couple of questions.

    Does that mean the DSG will replace the tip, or its just another option between manual, auto and DSG?

    Does launching using the brake harm the transmission or brakes?



    DSG (=PDK) is said to replace tiptronic.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    If it's done well... like the Audi DSG, it'll replace tiptronic... but if it's no good, like BMW's SMG, they'll need to keep the tip for people that don't want the JERK. I have to imagine, with Porsches investment in VW, they'll get it right...

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    I have 997S with tip.
    Living in LA there is no way I would have a manual, Had a BMW Convertible once with Manual when I was living in La Jolla and came to LA for a visit, needles to say when I got back to La Jolla my leg was a mess from all the gear shifting.
    When I ordered the 997S I was thinking about the manual, but here in LA is not worth having it, maybe you have less traffic in Bucharest and then you'll be able to enjoy a manual more.
    Just my two cents.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    If it's done well... like the Audi DSG, it'll replace tiptronic... but if it's no good, like BMW's SMG, they'll need to keep the tip for people that don't want the JERK. I have to imagine, with Porsches investment in VW, they'll get it right...



    By "done well" you obviously mean refinement. For those buying a sports car for raw driving experience I would recommend BMW SMG over Audi's DSG anyday. Having owned both for 12 months at the same time (Audi 3.2 DSG and BMW M3 CSL) the Audi was my first choice for relaxed and refined long distance cruising while the SMG is much more suited to the hooligan in me wanting a mad hour of fun.

    I hope they keep the tip and offer a genuine sequential manual box for those wanting something similar to Ferrari and Lambo products.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    If it's done well... like the Audi DSG, it'll replace tiptronic... but if it's no good, like BMW's SMG, they'll need to keep the tip for people that don't want the JERK.



    I think you're misleading. I have an M3 with SMG II and it's great.

    The jerk comes from not anticipating the shifts and just driving jerk-ily.

    IOW, if you want the car to jerk you can make it jerk by changing the settings and dumbing down your right foot.

    I haven't tried driving like a jerk in a Ferrari or an Aston, but I'm sure you can make them jerk too.


    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    I had 2 M3's and a CSL all with SMG and it's an excellent system, still a true manual gearbox with hydraulic clutch.

    It will only jerk if you don't lift off the throttle when chnaging up,however the gear change speed is so fast when you do keep your foot on the gas it is excellent for when you are really going for it as no normal gearbox can change gear this fast. The system is as smooth or as jerky as you want it to be at the end of the day. The BMW SMGII system is by far the best paddle shift gearbox on the market that I have driven, rather than just a normal auto with buttons or paddles like the Porsche Tip system which is truly rubbish IMHO and ruins the car in every way

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:
    The [BMW SMG] system is as smooth or as jerky as you want it to be at the end of the day.







    Oh, BTW, the best part of lightning-fast paddle shifts is changing gears in the turns.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Ludikrisspeed said:
    If it's done well... like the Audi DSG, it'll replace tiptronic... but if it's no good, like BMW's SMG, they'll need to keep the tip for people that don't want the JERK. I have to imagine, with Porsches investment in VW, they'll get it right...



    I strongly diagree with your opinion. I would give 25hp just to have SMG like sequential in this car. (I have TipS and it plain sucks. Maybe I should say it does not suit my driving style and the purpose I bought it for. It is years behind the competition)

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:
    I had 2 M3's and a CSL all with SMG and it's an excellent system, still a true manual gearbox with hydraulic clutch.

    It will only jerk if you don't lift off the throttle when chnaging up,however the gear change speed is so fast when you do keep your foot on the gas it is excellent for when you are really going for it as no normal gearbox can change gear this fast. The system is as smooth or as jerky as you want it to be at the end of the day. The BMW SMGII system is by far the best paddle shift gearbox on the market that I have driven, rather than just a normal auto with buttons or paddles like the Porsche Tip system which is truly rubbish IMHO and ruins the car in every way



    +1

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    The tiptronic is just fine. Use it in auto mode when you are driving in busy stop-and-go traffic, and switch it to manual mode and use the tip buttons for spirited driving.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    It is beautiful. Very well designed top notch technology. Makes you wanna drive all the time. Very adequete torque delivery. Buttons are ergonomically very well placed. You can press both at the same time and transmission decides wihch. Now that is something you cannot even find in bugatti. There is nothing out there like my TipS. I wonder why anyone would go for a 6 speed. Tiptronic is the future. My tiptronic 997 4S will become a classic once stupid wannabe DSG replaces it next year. The gear lever is very well designed as well. It has active 4 gears just like the muscle car era. What else do you need. Guys who are badmouthing TipS probably does not even own a Porsche.
    I was racing this guy in an SMG M3 last week. He had both of his hands on the wheel so he can up and down the gears. I had the liberty to show my finger to him since I can change gears from either side I want. I can talk here hours wbout my love for Tiptronik here but hey you can only live and experience TipS for yourself. It is like passing from hot sand to cold waters.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    Now it is time for reality. It does not matter if I am breaking this into you since you dont like me anyways as you stated.

    - TipS has 5 gears and unless its cold out there the car will start in 2nd giving you 4 gears. You can manually go down to 1st.
    - Regular 6 speed 4S will walk on you like it is a much stronger car. You will be surprised.
    - I have the previlige to change gears on high speed turns unintentionally. It is a very nice feeling to have all that torque on the wheels while you are facing other cars as yo start you drift.
    - Related to the subject above. There is no lever gear change. Only stupid placed buttons. Normal mode is very very very slow. On sport mode it is a bit faster a little bit)
    - With a driving style like mine you will consume alot of gas.

    I am so sorry that I cannot tell anything to make you feel better about the transmission on your upcoming car in 2 weeks. You sound like you are looking for closure and I am sure there will be others here who will give it to you by saying that TipS is adequete and you will be very happy with it.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Had my 996 in Tip => worse buy ever; felt like driving a S-Class Mercedes, rolling at 50km/h you'll be in 5th gear!?!#%$@ Switching to Manual mode helps a bit but still... My current 997 is manual and I just love it! The Tip 996 was a waste of time, NOW I'm driving a PORSCHE!! The feeling you got while changing a gear by using the clutch is just incomparable.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Thanks guys,i dind't want to ofend anyone but i like it when such a forum stays to the topic guven so that it can offer usefull info. When i bought the car in tiptronic i knew that the car will suffer but in my country there are a lot of holes in the road and the traffic is very busy and haotic,so i will need to make a lot of stop and go. In a porsche 6 speed manual is very hard considering that the cluch is heavy.I am quite lazy also and like to crusise a lot slowly at night in the city and an automatic is the best. I admit that for a day at the track the manual rules but for everything else the automatic is more relaxing. Has anyone raced the tiptronic with the same porsche but manual? How far does it go ahead? And if you go of from the lights full gas does is rip your face of or walks away like a turtle?

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Samy,

    Don't worry about what people here say. I respect all the different opinions expressed here But it's just internet chit-chat. If I were you, I would stop listening and start looking forward to my new car. Enjoy it to the full when it comes and see how the Tiptronic S fits in with your style of driving and your driving needs. If it works for you, what does it matter what others think? If it doesn't work for you, again, don't worry my friend, your dealer will happily take it back in part exchange for a brand new 6-speed car. It won't be the end of the world So just relax, and enjoy your wonderful new car

    Max respect to all you guys

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    A good bit of advice would be don't get Tiptronic, there you go !

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    It is beautiful. Very well designed top notch technology. Makes you wanna drive all the time. Very adequete torque delivery. Buttons are ergonomically very well placed. You can press both at the same time and transmission decides wihch. Now that is something you cannot even find in bugatti. There is nothing out there like my TipS. I wonder why anyone would go for a 6 speed. Tiptronic is the future. My tiptronic 997 4S will become a classic once stupid wannabe DSG replaces it next year. The gear lever is very well designed as well. It has active 4 gears just like the muscle car era. What else do you need. Guys who are badmouthing TipS probably does not even own a Porsche.
    I was racing this guy in an SMG M3 last week. He had both of his hands on the wheel so he can up and down the gears. I had the liberty to show my finger to him since I can change gears from either side I want. I can talk here hours wbout my love for Tiptronik here but hey you can only live and experience TipS for yourself. It is like passing from hot sand to cold waters.



    You can change gear with SMG on a BMW with the stick as well, get a test drive it will blow you away compared to the crap slush box on the Porsche

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Thanks a lot easy rider. You are right,it is just that i waited so long for my car and now i know its on the way to me and i just can't wait to get it. I had a a4 cabrio in manual and very sporty suspension and i used to take the range rover out just beacuse of the gearbox(automatic) cause the manual used to tire me a lot. I don't want to make the same mistake again. Anyway afer i will drive the car i will give you my opinion. This forum is great,i found out a lot of usefull things. Thanks again.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:
    Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    It is beautiful. Very well designed top notch technology. Makes you wanna drive all the time. Very adequete torque delivery. Buttons are ergonomically very well placed. You can press both at the same time and transmission decides wihch. Now that is something you cannot even find in bugatti. There is nothing out there like my TipS. I wonder why anyone would go for a 6 speed. Tiptronic is the future. My tiptronic 997 4S will become a classic once stupid wannabe DSG replaces it next year. The gear lever is very well designed as well. It has active 4 gears just like the muscle car era. What else do you need. Guys who are badmouthing TipS probably does not even own a Porsche.
    I was racing this guy in an SMG M3 last week. He had both of his hands on the wheel so he can up and down the gears. I had the liberty to show my finger to him since I can change gears from either side I want. I can talk here hours wbout my love for Tiptronik here but hey you can only live and experience TipS for yourself. It is like passing from hot sand to cold waters.



    You can change gear with SMG on a BMW with the stick as well, get a test drive it will blow you away compared to the crap slush box on the Porsche



    i admit that the SMG is great i have driven it. But porsche don't ofer this and to wait for the facelift wasn't an option. I waited for the car 4 months and it was hell. As soon as the dsg arrives i will give it part exchange and get that one.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:
    Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    It is beautiful. Very well designed top notch technology. Makes you wanna drive all the time. Very adequete torque delivery. Buttons are ergonomically very well placed. You can press both at the same time and transmission decides wihch. Now that is something you cannot even find in bugatti. There is nothing out there like my TipS. I wonder why anyone would go for a 6 speed. Tiptronic is the future. My tiptronic 997 4S will become a classic once stupid wannabe DSG replaces it next year. The gear lever is very well designed as well. It has active 4 gears just like the muscle car era. What else do you need. Guys who are badmouthing TipS probably does not even own a Porsche.
    I was racing this guy in an SMG M3 last week. He had both of his hands on the wheel so he can up and down the gears. I had the liberty to show my finger to him since I can change gears from either side I want. I can talk here hours wbout my love for Tiptronik here but hey you can only live and experience TipS for yourself. It is like passing from hot sand to cold waters.



    You can change gear with SMG on a BMW with the stick as well, get a test drive it will blow you away compared to the crap slush box on the Porsche



    I know that coming from SMG M3 to tipS 4S. you quoted my post where I was sarcastic and being .... As I said on my early post I would trade 25 hp just to have SMG like transmission in my C4S.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Quote:
    Samy said:
    Quote:
    Silver_Surfer said:
    Quote:
    Queram said:
    Quote:
    Samy said:
    This is what i don't like about you guys. I started a topic and you ended up fighting about a car i don't care about and a gearbox i don't have on my porsche. Now,please,is there anyone who can give me usefull tips and opinios about a tipronic s gearbox(NOT SMG DSG and others) on a 997 4S (not BMW AUDI ETC). Thanks



    It is beautiful. Very well designed top notch technology. Makes you wanna drive all the time. Very adequete torque delivery. Buttons are ergonomically very well placed. You can press both at the same time and transmission decides wihch. Now that is something you cannot even find in bugatti. There is nothing out there like my TipS. I wonder why anyone would go for a 6 speed. Tiptronic is the future. My tiptronic 997 4S will become a classic once stupid wannabe DSG replaces it next year. The gear lever is very well designed as well. It has active 4 gears just like the muscle car era. What else do you need. Guys who are badmouthing TipS probably does not even own a Porsche.
    I was racing this guy in an SMG M3 last week. He had both of his hands on the wheel so he can up and down the gears. I had the liberty to show my finger to him since I can change gears from either side I want. I can talk here hours wbout my love for Tiptronik here but hey you can only live and experience TipS for yourself. It is like passing from hot sand to cold waters.



    You can change gear with SMG on a BMW with the stick as well, get a test drive it will blow you away compared to the crap slush box on the Porsche



    i admit that the SMG is great i have driven it. But porsche don't ofer this and to wait for the facelift wasn't an option. I waited for the car 4 months and it was hell. As soon as the dsg arrives i will give it part exchange and get that one.



    Samy, do you mean you will trade in your car and get a new one when DSG comes out? Tiptronic was also the only way for me to own a daily driver Porsche but I regret my decision now since it took away so much from the Porsche experience. I have to stick with my car now given I paid stupid amount of money because of the absurd tax rates and I would lose dearly for a trade in on a year old car.


    My advice is not to get this car with this transmission.

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    Queram,the car is already build and i will get it in about 10 days. I can't change anything now and i don't think i would change it. I know turkey very well and i know about your taxes. In romania is another situation.If i change it after one yaer i lose about 7-10 k euro and its ok i guess. I hate manual cars and i don't think its that bad. You have a tip and want a manual and i had a manual and want a tip. Thats why you change your car all the time,because you get bored with it after a while. I am sue there are people here tired with theyr cluth and want a tip. I didn't even drive it yet but found on youtube a film with a caymann tip from0 to 280 and the changes semm fast and ok. Have you raced another car with the same specs but manual? How far was it in front?

    Re: Tiptronic S Questions

    I am sure once you got your car you will be enjoying too much to care about anything else.


     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/15/18 10:20 AM
    TB993tt
    402737 5188
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/17/18 12:03 AM
    Pilot
    320300 1966
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/18/18 4:03 AM
    Spyderidol
    269079 2962
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    211158 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/15/18 6:23 PM
    BONES
    190790 2674
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/17/18 10:06 PM
    NelsonF
    121771 2409
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 11/15/18 12:15 PM
    RCA
    32092 316
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13985 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13283 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    522767 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483237 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278636 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/16/18 11:30 AM
    RCA
    263649 2611
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191449 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/17/18 4:47 AM
    koko
    189370 1738
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178656 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142686 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/1/18 6:13 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    141816 2234
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128202 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111591 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106465 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/17/18 4:38 PM
    reginos
    84293 1126
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66585 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57168 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46632 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    43111 1395
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42804 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41239 597
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/16/18 9:46 PM
    Topspeed
    39171 471
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    39025 637
    284 items found, displaying 1 to 30.