Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PDK owners: mainly Auto or Manual mode driving?

OK so I am curious...

PDK for the Carrera's have been out for a while now and I am interested to learn whether the owners have predominantly been driving around in auto mode or mainly in manual mode?

I have an Audi Tiptronic (way better than Porsche's old offering) with paddle shifts in my new RS6 and 99% of the time I leave the car in auto mode.  Keeping your hands locked in the same position over the steering wheel over the paddles for more than 10 mins soon becomes tiresome.

So, is PDK really a viable replacement for a manual or is it really just a glorified auto box?

(by the way, I am loving the auto box in my RS6 but I certainly wouldn't want it in an out and out sportscar).

--

Click for bigger picture!

Re: PDK owners: mainly Auto or Manual mode driving?

I drive the car in normal auto mode until the oil temperature reaches 70 degrees, then its over to manual sport mode (with normal dampers).  The auto mode is thus only used to warm up the oil  and as I never rev the engine beyond 2000r/min whilst the oil is cold, I find that the auto helps as the box only changes up/down at optimum revs. 

But the minute all temps are within operating range, manual it is.  Even in Sport mode or Sport Plus, I find the box counter-intuitive, thus prefer using the paddles to be in control all the time.

Alex_997TT:

So, is PDK really a viable replacement for a manual or is it really just a glorified auto box?

My reply to this question: PDK is predominantly an excellent (as opposed to glorified) automatic but its manual mode is good enough for me as to make a proper manual redundant , considering the inconvenience of clutch pedal and stick in 90% of my journeys.

As to which Mode I use, I can say that I drive in D and in standard mode in traffic and slow/leisurely trips. A minor nuisance is that at 120km/h (around 70miles/h) which the "official" speed limit, the PDK hunts between 6 and 7 gear on light throttle, changing up and down constantly. At this road speed the Sport mode prefers 6th gear and so it mostly cuts 7th out at the expense of economy.

Sport mode is very good in response and gear changes and is sportscar-like as opposed to standard mode.

I find Sport Plus very extreme changing down at lightest touch of the brakes and to even 1st gear very often. On the road I haven't found any use for it, besides sometimes using it for variety's sake.

For 90% of the time I drive in D in either mode and override using the buttons.  In this way you can instantly go up or down 3-4 gears without any fuss at all. Don't totally believe all the controversy and debate about how counter-intuitive the buttons are. After a few days they become second nature and are effective.

D mode is very fast and the kickdown from 6th to 3rd or even 2nd lightning fast.

The cases when I use Manual Mode are rare. Mainly, when the roads are winding with a frequency of bends, such as hill climbs, country roads with lots of close radius curves. In those cases I get in a better rhythm in M than in D. There, I change using both the buttons and the stick invariably as it suits without much prior thinking as to which interface to use.

Manual mode gives plenty of control without any unwanted changes. Some say that it is a mistake to be able to kickdown in manual mode. But you never to do that involuntarily, as you have to press hard in order to overcome the spring on purpose, in order to kick down. it has never happened to me accidentally.

In a nutshell I would never buy again manual if a good automatic exists for the model I want.

--
    It's not where you're going, it's how you get there that counts

I had an extended test drive in a C4S PDK the weekend before last, second time I've driven a PDK equipped car (the first was last year in the pouring rain). What an incredible transmission! I tried all the modes and ended up happiest in "sport" automatic mode, using the paddles just for fun to experience that amazing shift change up and down. That, and the performance and the wonderful unique 911 sound! Smiley I would never go back to a manual if I owned one. Addictive!!

Problem is I now want a 997 C2S PDK coupe.  Smiley  Badly. And I can't justify the yawning financial gap between my Boxster S and a 997 PDK. Smiley There are some good value low mileage ones available though, less than a year old and £20k off list price!

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

As soon as I start the car, it's like -

Aircon - check.

Music - ipod, check

Lights, since I am in an indoor parking!) - check

Sports mode - check

PASM normal - check

Gear lever to the left - check!

Damn - I sound like James May doing a pre-flight check!!

Seriously- I wish there was a programmable setting where I could make the driving modes above as default.

--

I use PDK on a new Boxster S. Car feels like a slouch in normal mode - unbearable. I only use thís mode for inner city and traffic jam. Sport Mode is a good alround setting but a bit jerky at lower speeds, however, like any autobox it is doing things I wouldn't do myself. I use the car mainly in manual but shifting with the gear selector and not those stupid things on the wheel. They don't feel right, they don't work right and they are even in the way when you need to work on the wheel very fast.

On the Boxster S I wouldn't order PDK again. It takes away some of the driving experience. On a stronger car like a Turbo or a car which I use on the track, I would consider it as I simply can't change gears fast enough (downward) or can't heel/toe (not enough room to position legs, in particular with the PCCB).

--
    ------------- 997 GT2, 987 Boxster S (3.4), Audi S5, KTM Superduke 990

Arshad:

Seriously- I wish there was a programmable setting where I could make the driving modes above as default.

You would be better off with a games console. It would have worked out cheaper too Smiley

--

reginos:
    You would be better off with a games console. It would have worked out cheaper too Smiley

Actually, remember Need for Speed Porsche Unlimited?!  That was great fun!  Nice to know that 9 years later, I can drive the real thing!!  And since I have test driven both, I can categorically say that even though it costs more, the real thing is better!!

--

Arshad:
    reginos:

Actually, remember Need for Speed Porsche Unlimited?!  That was great fun!  Nice to know that 9 years later, I can drive the real thing!!  And since I have test driven both, I can categorically say that even though it costs more, the real thing is better!!

Yes I can remember that game. It was year 2000 correct!

--

Arshad:

As soon as I start the car, it's like -

Aircon - check.

Music - ipod, check

Lights, since I am in an indoor parking!) - check

Sports mode - check

PASM normal - check

Gear lever to the left - check!

Damn - I sound like James May doing a pre-flight check!!

I fully agree, like the M button in a M BMW. Exhaust, TC, SC, PASM, PDK... Every driver has a different preference and pushing 20 buttons before you take off isn't my idea of driving either.

--
    ------------- 997 GT2, 987 Boxster S (3.4), Audi S5, KTM Superduke 990

Arshad

I used the chrono function to set the default aircon temperature to my preference, so need to do the daily check for that. Agree, would be great to have a button that has our own preferences dialled in.  I have to activate the exhaust button each time I jump in as I do not drive in sport mode until the oil is warmed up.

On another note, think that MY 2010 cars now have automatic lights, auto dimming mirrors and Ipod integration as standard equipment at Al Nabooda.

Cheers

I have found that manually shifting the stick in normal mode to be the most satisfying and generally usable mode that preserves the sports car feel of the 997. In this mode I shift typically out of 1st between 2-4K depending on traffic and my mood. Second is similarly shifted around 2-4K and I typically leave the car in 3rd or 4th depending on the speed limit, traffic, and number of stop lights. I let the car downshift on its own as I slow to a stop, but if the light changes, I can shift down from 4-3 or 3-2 to keep the car in a better rpm range than the normal auto mode would typically provide. Also there is no abrupt 2-1 downshift w/ the Sport mode which is quite clumsy and jarring. Driving this way is just as though you had to row the gears but w/o the clutch. My newly fitted PSE sounds great w/ the shifting, and there is a nice burble w/ deceleration. I also enjoy the feel of the stick which is nicely spring loaded. While the racing sequential is pull to upshift, the push to upshift of the PDK isn't a problem since I've never driven a race car!  I don't subscribe to the notion that PDK is just an automatic, it is far more involving if you chose to be involved.  However,  I do not believe PDK sounds any sort of death knell for the manual transmission. The manual has as much to offer it's proponents as does PDK for its own advocates. 

--
    Carpe Diem

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/15/18 10:20 AM
    TB993tt
    402170 5188
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/15/18 11:53 AM
    RCA
    319894 1957
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/16/18 12:22 AM
    Wonderbar
    266314 2944
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

211034 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/15/18 6:23 PM
    BONES
    189909 2674
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/15/18 12:01 PM
    RCA
    120740 2395
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 11/15/18 12:15 PM
    RCA
    31912 316
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13948 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13263 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    522251 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483135 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278344 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/15/18 7:11 PM
    d997h
    263079 2610
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191401 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/13/18 5:52 AM
    KMM
    189096 1734
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178401 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142623 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/1/18 6:13 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    141490 2234
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128127 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111553 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106428 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/6/18 12:58 PM
    RCA
    83921 1119
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66519 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57137 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46585 477
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    42968 1395
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42799 1122
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41219 597
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    38981 637
    Lambo Aventador and SV 11/15/18 10:54 PM
    Topspeed
    38848 466
    289 items found, displaying 1 to 30.