Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My bare bones Boxster S

I finally finished negotating with the various local dealers and have ordered my first Porsche.

'05 Boxster S
    Arctic Silver
    standard black leather
    black top
    manual transmission
    19" Carrerea Classic wheels
    colored wheel crests
    sport steering wheel
    chrome exhaust pipe
    Bi-Xenon headlamps

Yes, its a lean spec, but I really wanted to spend all my budget on upgrading to the the 'S' and as little as possible on options. I also wanted to be as true to the "roadster ethic" as possible, which for me means simplicity. Conceptually, if I had a go kart that also took me to work everyday, that would be close to the Platonic ideal of a roadster.

I seriously considered the full leather interior, especially the two tone grey and black, but after reading RC's comments about the standard black interior and seeing such a car myself, it didn't seem necessary.

The sport seats weren't quite wide enough in the shoulders for me.

PASM is intriguing, but the normal suspension on 19s was not too harsh for me, and the main PASM benefit MOST people have commented on is the more compliant ride in Comfort mode.

The Bose is nice, but the exhaust/induction/engine sounds are much better!

After I've had the car for a while I'll decide whether I want to install the windstop and/or paint the rollbar arctic silver, or leave it as is.

I plan to install the clear side markers. Also I am very curious about when PSE will be available for the 987S. I've loved its sound on other Porsches, and I hope it's available soon!

Anyway, now I simply have to wait until May for my car to arrive...

<exhales>

mcddelaug

A nicely judged spec, NOT bare bones Boxster S

Congratulations and a nicely judged spec. It will look superb on the Carrera Classic wheels - they weren't available when I specced mine. With regard to the Bose, I've got it on my car, and in the 500 miles I've driven in it so far the Bose has been on about 15 minutes whilst I was sat in pouring rain and nose to tail city traffic. My car is arctic silver, and personally I wouldn'y bother with painted roll-bars. The standard "volcanic grey" looks just fine.

Does'nt look too bare-bones to me!

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:
    I finally finished negotating with the various local dealers and have ordered my first Porsche.

'05 Boxster S
    Arctic Silver
    standard black leather
    black top
    manual transmission
    colored wheel crests
    sport steering wheel
    chrome exhaust pipe
    Bi-Xenon headlamps

Yes, its a lean spec, but I really wanted to spend all my budget on upgrading to the the 'S' and as little as possible on options. I also wanted to be as true to the "roadster ethic" as possible, which for me means simplicity.

<exhales>

mcddelaug

Those Houston dealers are mighty rough though. San Antonio and Austin seem to treat their customers better.

Did Momentum, or whatever their called now, cut you any slack on price?

My car will be speced out very similar to yours. Unfortunately I'm debating the probability of waiting for the Cayman.

Re: Does'nt look too bare-bones to me!

I think its a great spec.....Bose would have been the only other option to add but is a personal pref.

Re: Does'nt look too bare-bones to me!

Funny you should mention the Houston dealers. I contacted all the dealers in Texas, and while some were more helpful than others, I never even got a response from one of the two Houston dealers. The other was somewhat better but not quite good enough. Their loss, I say.

I suspect that some dealers are more committed to selling cars by email or phone (which is how I did it) than others. Some were clearly in the "old school" mentality of "c'mon down to the dealership and we'll talk about yer new car."
    I really don't need to spend my personal time being jerked around by a car salesman, no matter how much butt smooching is being provided.

Ultimately I ordered my car from Austin's Roger Beasley Porsche. They were courteous, responsive, took my inquiry seriously despite my not being physically present at the dealership, didn't need to be prompted to keep me updated regarding all the paperwork and were forthright about all the "line items" on the purchase order. So far so good. I think there have been some other posters here that have had good experiences with this dealer too.

mcdelaug

Beasley is the one to roll with in The Great State of Texas!

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

Funny you should mention the Houston dealers. I contacted all the dealers in Texas, and while some were more helpful than others, I never even got a response from one of the two Houston dealers.

mcdelaug

The question was if you received any type of a discount or just a gift certificate to the parts department for a shirt and a key fob.

Re: Beasley is the one to roll with in The Great State of Texas!

I received about 2% off MSRP for an April build, May delivery. I suspect that if I were more aggressive or more willing to risk missing the April build date, I could have received another 1-2% without TOO much effort.

Roger Beasley had no fees outside of the purchase price except the mandatory license, registration, inventory and sales tax and $50 for "documentation." They also put everything in writing without whining or last minute "we forgot to mention this" silliness.

Overall it has been a good experience.

mcdelaug

That's not too shabby for a brand new model!

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

I received about 2% off MSRP for an April build, May delivery. I suspect that if I were more aggressive or more willing to risk missing the April build date, I could have received another 1-2% without TOO much effort.

Overall it has been a good experience.

mcdelaug

And ol' Roger plays things close to the chest....and always has.

You did alright.

When she comes in I can't think of a better place in the state to tear some tarmac than the Texas Hill Country.

You HAVE to go to Cooper's BBQ out in Llano.

Re: My bare bones Boxster S

Quote:
    mcdelaug said:

'05 Boxster S
    Arctic Silver
    standard black leather
    black top
    manual transmission
    colored wheel crests
    sport steering wheel
    chrome exhaust pipe
    Bi-Xenon headlamps

Yes, its a lean spec, but I really wanted to spend all my budget on upgrading to the the 'S' and as little as possible on options. I also wanted to be as true to the "roadster ethic" as possible, which for me means simplicity. Conceptually, if I had a go kart that also took me to work everyday, that would be close to the Platonic ideal of a roadster.

I seriously considered the full leather interior, especially the two tone grey and black, but after reading RC's comments about the standard black interior and seeing such a car myself, it didn't seem necessary.

The sport seats weren't quite wide enough in the shoulders for me.

PASM is intriguing, but the normal suspension on 19s was not too harsh for me, and the main PASM benefit MOST people have commented on is the more compliant ride in Comfort mode.

The Bose is nice, but the exhaust/induction/engine sounds are much better!

After I've had the car for a while I'll decide whether I want to install the windstop and/or paint the rollbar arctic silver, or leave it as is.

I plan to install the clear side markers. Also I am very curious about when PSE will be available for the 987S. I've loved its sound on other Porsches, and I hope it's available soon!

Anyway, now I simply have to wait until May for my car to arrive...

<exhales>

mcddelaug

Nice! Almost exactly the same as mine except I have the standard 18" wheels and the Bose system and heated seats.

Do you remember the charge for the chrome exhaust tip? I definitely want that added to my car soon. The standard tips look stained and nasty. They really detract from the rear of the car.
    You'll love the car....enjoy!

I agree the standard exhaust looks cheap and nasty and just about the only thing that's a backward step from the 986. It appears that the end is clamped on and would be simple enough to remove and get chrome plated locally. I suspect a lot cheaper than getting a replacement chromed one from "official" sources.

The chrome exhaust tip is option XLA, $340.

And I agree about the standard exhaust tip. The only reason I ordered the chrome tip is because the standard exhaust had a nearly yellow, dingy tint to it.

Thanks for the nice comments.

mcdelaug

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/14/18 1:48 PM
    GaussM
    401660 5187
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/9/18 1:02 AM
    watt
    319568 1955
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/14/18 11:01 AM
    reginos
    264691 2929
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

210945 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/4/18 5:39 PM
    Topspeed
    189373 2673
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/14/18 11:32 AM
    RCA
    120142 2389
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/25/18 7:06 AM
    RCA
    31724 315
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13939 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13256 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    521916 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483086 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278196 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/14/18 5:11 PM
    bobr
    262267 2596
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191362 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/13/18 5:52 AM
    KMM
    189005 1734
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178277 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142591 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/1/18 6:13 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    141277 2234
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128077 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111523 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106413 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/6/18 12:58 PM
    RCA
    83823 1119
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66496 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57110 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46564 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42789 1122
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 12:48 PM
    lukestern
    42767 1395
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41201 597
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/14/18 11:25 AM
    RCA
    38933 637
    Lambo Aventador and SV 10/16/18 12:50 AM
    Topspeed
    38793 465
    293 items found, displaying 1 to 30.