Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New options for MY 2005?

Right now we have these options almost officially confirmed:
    1. aerokit (especially the Turbo seems to profit as the top speed may rise during ideal conditions)
    2. PCM 2 DVD-based (with Sat Radio option for the US market)
    3. DVD entertainment system
    4. 500 HP powerkit for the Cayenne Turbo
    5. TV option (DVB-T for Germany) for ROW Cayenne

Of course there are some minor changes in options and standard options and I'll post more accurate information as soon as it is officially available.

No word about the Targa roof yet but rumors indicate an introduction during MY 2005 or latest MY 2006.
    Right now every info indicates that the powerkit for the Turbo will not be retrofittable which would be actually very bad news for current Turbo owners. Porsche is working hard on making a retrofit kit possible but right now there seems to be little chance due to internal changes in the engine.

No word yet on the rumored MP3 jukebox but I heard they're working on it. I also heard that Porsche is working on the PCM 2 to make MP3 playback possible (on CD-ROM). If true, this is good news for all MP3 enthusiasts (I'm one too). FM Modulators aren't the best solution and wireless FM Modulators provide a bad quality, despite the fact that they're illegal in most countries worldwide (not US).

Re: New options for MY 2005?

I got confirmation on the panorama roof in Leipzig last week. It will be here this summer as a model year 05 vehicle for sure. I saw one there, but the roof was concealed.

I will add that a dealer source says they already have instructions for repair of the panoramic roof so I would agree with KY, it should be an available option sometime in the 2005 model year. Maybe I read something about December availability, not sure.

how much you think the 500-hp option will be going for? And what are they doing increasing the bore and stroke of the engine? Forged pistons? What can we expect And is this the classic "500-hp" ghost meaning it will be closer to 550-hp or something?

Quote:
    flynhawaiian said:
    how much you think the 500-hp option will be going for? And what are they doing increasing the bore and stroke of the engine? Forged pistons? What can we expect And is this the classic "500-hp" ghost meaning it will be closer to 550-hp or something?

Those sound like questions we may get answers for after RC's trip, but not before. I will bet the increased power does not come from a displacement change but rather from a slight increase in boost. I think the internal changes will be things to handle the increased power; stronger connecting rods, bigger or stronger crankshaft bearings, etc.

Quote:
    flynhawaiian said:

It is difficult to say how the final product will look alike because right now, Porsche even denies that there will be a 500 HP powerkit...at least officially.

Well, I suppose the engine gets different pistons, probably more boost, maybe different turbo chargers, a different exhaust system and very likely some gearbox mods (shorter 5 and 6 gear?) to prevent the Cayenne Turbo to hit 300 kph. We're talking about 50 horses, look how many things have been changed for 30 horses only on the 996 Turbo powerkit (different turbo chargers, different intercoolers, different exhaust system with different cats, different motronic programming and a shorter 6th gear).
    Don't forget that the Cayenne Turbo is a different "animal", with 50 horses more it still has to be able to withstand extreme temperatures even during towing at full load in a sandy desert with low fuel quality...if you understand what I want to say. Fact is: the Cayenne powerkit won't be a bargain, personally I expect something in the 15000 Euro range but hopefully I'm wrong.
    Make it 10000 Euro, make it easily retrofittable and I bet it will sell like warm bread.
    Anyway: if the powerkit isn't retrofittable, I'll probably go for a motronic upgrade which should provide a similar power. However...I would never drive through the Gobi desert towing a 3.5 ton weight and using chinese premium fuel with a simple Motronic upgrade (if you catch my point again).

yah, I have to say though with 500-hp in that thing it will be beyond an orgasm on wheels. I have to say I hope they bring that kit out. Man will it be fun.

On a side note anyone know how much extra the euro delivery is on the turbo? I really wanna do that, I think it would be fun to pick up a new baby right when she is born.

Someone please explain to me why my SUV needs more HP?

because the more power you have the funner the car is to drive. And the closer the car gets to becoming a 911 tt of course with the panoramic roof its gets closer to becoming a 911 tt cab

I have the TT as well, and it doesn't need more power -- in my view -- where it is most likely to get it from the factory, i.e. the mid to high range in the power band. Passing in the 80-100 mph range and top speed improvements don't help us much here in the US. What we could use is a bit more pep off the line, i.e. lower range torque. Frankly, 450hp (at the crank, btw, not the wheels) is enough even at this weight. A further adjustment to the e-gas delay and maybe another cut at the shift map would probably do the trick quite nicely.

Quote:
    flynhawaiian said:
    yah, I have to say though with 500-hp in that thing it will be beyond an orgasm on wheels. I have to say I hope they bring that kit out. Man will it be fun.

On a side note anyone know how much extra the euro delivery is on the turbo? I really wanna do that, I think it would be fun to pick up a new baby right when she is born.

I ordered my 2004 Cayenne Turbo with Euro Delivery with the Grand Tour time slot... June 17/18,2004... the price is about 4400 bux.

Nu

Quote:
    Les Quam said:
    Someone please explain to me why my SUV needs more HP?

More HP = more fun. That simple.

Why do you need more power in a street car? Even in a Porsche?

Quote:
    More HP = more fun. That simple.

You really think so Christian?
    I don't. My Boxster S was much more fun than the SL55 I tested recently.
    Arguably, it was even more fun than a C4, where fun is described as nimbleness and ability to "throw" the car into corners and play with the chassis at its limit.
    The C4 fun lies in the fact that you can just go through turns with the accelerator on, that car is on rail.

So I guess that from your point of view, more HP = more fun in a straight line? Especially for an SUV.

RC, when you say a DVD entertainment system, do you mean a DVD system with a drop down screen for rear passengers?

If that's so, that's enough to get my wife and kids on board for a new TT. My kids are wild about the current screen drop down in our MDX, and have raised H about losing it on a new TT. Also, for long trips, the screen is a great babysitter for our young kids...

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    You really think so Christian?
    I don't. My Boxster S was much more fun than the SL55 I tested recently.

Francois, you forget a few things:
    1. I'm married with children (and wife of course... )
    2. the Cayenne Turbo is my daily driver, especially with the family

Now tell me: what would you prefer to drive, a Cayenne Turbo with 700 HP or a Mitsubishi Pajero with 160 HP?

Got it? Things in life are much more simple than we think, we just have to set priorities.

Quote:
    Sydney said:
    RC, when you say a DVD entertainment system, do you mean a DVD system with a drop down screen for rear passengers?

If that's so, that's enough to get my wife and kids on board for a new TT. My kids are wild about the current screen drop down in our MDX, and have raised H about losing it on a new TT. Also, for long trips, the screen is a great babysitter for our young kids...

Yes, Sydney...something like that. But I don't have information if the system will be a drop-down system or a system with monitors installed in the head rests or attached to them.
    A little advise: I bought myself a Sony DVD entertainment system for my daughter, it is a plug'n play job. Cost in Germany: 600 Euro. Sony also offers a drop-down system for retrofit right now but I don't have the price in mind...I think something around 900 Euro or slightly more. I've been to the US two weeks ago and I saw similar system for retrofit available at a lot of electronics shops (even at Best Buy).
    So it should be pretty easy to install one aftermarket.
    Of course the OEM systems usually are better integrated in the interior design, I agree. But for 600 Euros, I took the plunge and if I regret it, I install it in the ML.

Quote:
    jdrive said:
    I have the TT as well, and it doesn't need more power -- in my view -- where it is most likely to get it from the factory, i.e. the mid to high range in the power band. Passing in the 80-100 mph range and top speed improvements don't help us much here in the US. What we could use is a bit more pep off the line, i.e. lower range torque. Frankly, 450hp (at the crank, btw, not the wheels) is enough even at this weight. A further adjustment to the e-gas delay and maybe another cut at the shift map would probably do the trick quite nicely.

My opinion exactly! A deft assessment jdrive! I think the e-gas delay and shift mapping are the Cayenne's weak points. That's what they should work to improve on in future editions. I understand much of the effect I complain of is there for safety reasons but still, it could be implemented in a smoother, more palatable way.

You'd be surprised, I know a guy who has a two door Pajero in my town and he's a really really cool dude! I envy him...
    Seriously, you're right, although, maybe a nice Cayenne S instead and with the price difference, a nice little Boxster S. Don't know if the price difference would have been enough though...

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    You'd be surprised, I know a guy who has a two door Pajero in my town and he's a really really cool dude! I envy him...
    Seriously, you're right, although, maybe a nice Cayenne S instead and with the price difference, a nice little Boxster S. Don't know if the price difference would have been enough though...

Francois, I told you before: the Cayenne Turbo is a car I have to drive because of the family, not because I really want to drive it. Some people sometimes are shocked because I say things exactly how they are but if I'd be single or married without kids, I'd drive a GT3 RS now and not a Cayenne Turbo if you get my point.

The Cayenne doesn't need more power? Well, I heard that from V6 owners and I heard that from "S" owners but c'mon, guys, you can't be serious. If you want a serious off-roader, the Cayenne isn't the right product. It's counterpart Touareg just failed miserable in a snow test comparison in a german car magazine and as much as I want to believe that the Cayenne is a serious off-roader, it isn't. It is a very nice combo of all worlds but no real off-roader and no real sports car. Performance? Well, look at the newer SUV products from Cadillac and Nissan, they both perform well too.
    And when the new ML and new X5 come out, the cards will be shuffled again as we say here.
    Why do people buy a Cayenne? Well, it is a Porsche, right?!
    And of course the Cayenne is a great product, very nicely engineered and refined. But we have to be honest to ourselves: for the money of a Cayenne Turbo I could buy a Boxster S and a fully equipped Toyota Landcruiser.

Power is the key to fun. Otherwise even the Cayenne S has no justification. Why do people need that kind of power, the V6 power would suffice.
    What is wrong with a lot of power in a SUV?
    Fuel consumption? I agree. But even with less power, most SUVs are real fuel eaters.
    Environmental issues? A Cayenne Turbo at full power output is "cleaner" than any of those 90's cars still driven by a lot of people.

Every person has a personal power "limit". 17 years ago, I thought that 200 HP in a 1250 kg car are my personal power limit. After owning a tuned 996 Turbo, I came close to my personal power limit, somewhere around 600 HP.
    And in the Cayenne Turbo, my "limit" would be probably in the 550 HP range.
    With "limit" I mean the horsepower I can fully control in any situation, even when driving at the limit.
    Some people might want to have 700 HP in a 996 Turbo and can't even move a Boxster to it's limit but that's a different story.

Power is not everything, I agree. But with a net weight of around 2.5 tons, the Cayenne Turbo NEEDS power, power and...power.

Horsepower is over-rated. If used as a proxy for performance, then ok, but from a literal perspective, HP is at best half of the story. Along with power comes the need for traction, probably 75% of which has to do with the tires and not much else. Debating the Cayenne's -- or Toureg's or any other vehicle's -- off-road performance potential without recognizing the incredibly important effects of tire traction is worthless (take a Class 7 racer into the desert with the wrong tires and you are toast). Also important is articulation (or the lack thereof), and of course ground clearance. This is why a 3-ton H1 with only 205 HP (but 440 torque and tall gears) can crawl through or over virtually anything, including handling 60% grades! So no, power is not the only, or even the primary, ingredient.

The Cayenne TT has all the power it needs. You might question whether it's in the right PLACE (i.e. where in the power band it is developed), whether it has optimum gearing, and what the torque generated is. For offroading, it's mostly needed in the low-end; for on-road, I would say an even split among all three would be nice (the TT actually favors the mid-to-upper band -- typical of European cars; less so of American). So, yes, the TT is a compromise of sorts. Still, in the right hands it is a capable off-roader. Not that it has the extreme articulation of rock-crawlers, nor is one likely to plant serious off-road rubber underneath it. But hey, it does have the (theoretical) clearance!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/13/18 10:19 AM
    RCA
    401306 5184
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/9/18 1:02 AM
    watt
    319473 1955
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/13/18 10:27 PM
    Grant
    263671 2919
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

210909 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/4/18 5:39 PM
    Topspeed
    189115 2673
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/13/18 10:31 PM
    Grant
    119705 2383
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/25/18 7:06 AM
    RCA
    31705 315
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13928 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13242 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    521686 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483062 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278079 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/13/18 7:11 PM
    MikeM1982
    261975 2592
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191339 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/13/18 5:52 AM
    KMM
    188965 1734
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178215 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142575 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/1/18 6:13 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    141157 2234
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128037 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111493 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106402 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/6/18 12:58 PM
    RCA
    83763 1119
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66401 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57099 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46556 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42789 1122
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/14/18 2:25 AM
    SciFrog
    42561 1390
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41191 597
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/13/18 5:48 PM
    WhoopsyM
    38780 633
    Lambo Aventador and SV 10/16/18 12:50 AM
    Topspeed
    38779 465
    291 items found, displaying 1 to 30.