Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The way of getting around the ban on laser diffusers

Here is the story, recently, as laser diffusers (jammers) are becoming more and more popular, the poilice/polititians have been working on making them ilegal since they render their laser guns useless
    In UK, they have been even able to prosecute a driver for using one based on obstruction of police work or something. So they are working to outlaw them because they jam laser guns and hence decrease their revenue

So here is the way around it, Target (in Europe its Target, Lidatek in US, same thing), has just introduced a "Garage door opener" that works with laser (like TV remotes), and is advertised solely as a Remote Controlled laser system (LT450 LaserTrack Remote Controlled laser system from Target). It comes with what was a laser diffuser and the home reciever to connect to garage's door, so when the car's laser controller detects the home's laser it will emit and audible alarm to inform its working and throw back another laser at it actioning the door's mechanism... just like the laser diffuser jammed the laser guns, and since all these lasers work on the same frequency, it will also intefere with police radar guns "inevitably".

Here is the legal catch: since all laser remotes work in the same freq (904 nanometers) which is the same one as the police radar guns, "interference with laser guns cannot be ruled out", but since its intention is not to interfere with it for legal reasons, if the car's laser controller (diffuser ) detects a different laser that its own, like a police laser gun for exaple, it will automatically shut itself off. What good will that do? if you read deep in the manual, you find out that it will turn itself off "after a few seconds" I guess they can't make it to react quicker so for those seconds it will unfortunately be interfeering with the laser gun (the previous diffusers jammer for 5 seconds- plenty of time to slow down) with the following audio alarm that it has been set off, even if accidentaly.

So what you have in your car is a working solely intended garage door opener that inevitably has to work in that 904 freq, it will shut itself off if a police radar gun is pointed at it. Should be interesting what the polititians/police say or do now.

Re: The way of getting around the ban on laser diffusers

Excellent!!! Very clever way to outsmart the law...
    --Pierre

I wouldn't you love to pull over next to a cop with a laser and say: "Officer!!... would you please stop interfering and setting off my garage door opener controler repeatedly with that gun all the time? its quite annoying you know!!... thank you... gezzz, the things you have to put up with ... " and then drive off

B.S.

Which is all bullshit and your post here pretty much proves the point. Not so hard to prove the intent by one's actions. I predict that it won't take much to convince a judge to convict someone.

Remember, the law is not here to protect you. It is here so that those with power can f**k those without. Simple.

If the risk of getting caught times the cost of getting caught with a laser jammer is lower than the risk of getting caught for speeding without a jammer times the cost of getting caught then get a laser jammer. Simple enough. I use to use a radar detector in Connecticut at a time when they were illegal to use here. Once I was cited in Connecticut for using one and another time I was cited in the District of Columbia for possessing one (it was even seized as evidence on that occasion). Both times I was ultimately acquitted - mostly due to their lack of real interest in prosecuting someone that was actually going to defend themselves.. That was my simple analysis. The consequence of a high-speed ticket was much greater and the risk of getting prosecuted much greater than was the risks associated with the radar detector.

By the way, why didn't you mention Blinder of Denmark? Technically, I think that is the best jammer on the market today. And also quite economical. I just bought one to install in my Audi here in Connecticut (where they are currently not illegal to own or use).

Stephen

Re: B.S.

You miss one very important point Stephen, the risk of getting caught speeding means in a lot of situations here in Europe now, loosing your licence for a period of time (besides the fine), here in Spain you can't even go to traffic school to lower the sentence. But if you get caught with a radar detector or laser jammer, all you get is a fine, smaller even than the fine you get with speeding.

So I'd rather get caught using a radar detector or laser diffuser than getting getting caught speeding. The first is just a fine, the second at the speeds I drive is means inbeviatbly loosing my licence.

And now, prosecuting a driver for using a laser diffurer is much more difficult for them since the law is very clear about radar detectors but more obscure in laser diffusers in most countries. This product by nowere saying its for jamming guns and supplying all the necesary items to create a garage door opener, shutting itself off if detects a diferent laser (takes a few seconds to be able to do so ), and can't help but interfere with police guns since they all have to use the same freq (like your TV remote) has a much better chance at it. In fact, in their advertising, unless you read between lines and have some backround on how these things work, you will get the impression that it doesn't work against laser guns specifically. So if they have a hard time prosecuting laser diffusers now here, its gottten a lot tougher.

The Blinder is a great diffuser but it doesn't offer the whole "home garage opener intended package" to make the charges harder to prosecute if caught.
    Both Lidateks/Target and Blinders seem to be equally effective in jamming, however, I would choose the Lidatek's product because they are the only ones that use a gallenium-arsenide laser diode, which is the same one as the police use in their laser guns to emit the laser. The other jammers use weaker diodes that need to work much harder and could give rise to fading in the long run, though this is not proven. Also the Lidatek IMO has the toughest casing for the diode which should resist better the stones that hit it and weather in the ong run. And also Lidatek's last version, the LE-30 has the smallest diode, and since this is the visible part to the cops, the smaller the harder to see.
    But in terms of the actual jamming effectiveness, they both work great.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    You miss one very important point Stephen, the risk of getting caught speeding means in a lot of situations here in Europe now, loosing your licence for a period of time (besides the fine), here in Spain you can't even go to traffic school to lower the sentence. But if you get caught with a radar detector or laser jammer, all you get is a fine, smaller even than the fine you get with speeding.

No Carlos, I didn't miss the point. In fact, that was exactly the point I was making. When radar detectors were illegal in Connecticut it was Motor Vehicle Department regulation -- similar to an equipment violation. You only have to look at my recent experience to see the consequences of a serious speeding ticket.

Interesting info on the Blinder vs. the Lidatek. The Lidatek has only one diode. The Blinder comes standard with two transmitters each with three receptors and eight transmitters. In salt and snow conditions I like the fact that a speck of dirt cannot block everything. They are more obvious but, as I said, the are not illegal here in New England yet so that is less of an issue. I also saw some evidence that the Blinder might have fewer failures. Anyway, I have yet to install and use it and this is something of a test. So let's see.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    No Carlos, I didn't miss the point. In fact, that was exactly the point I was making. When radar detectors were illegal in Connecticut it was Motor Vehicle Department regulation -- similar to an equipment violation. You only have to look at my recent experience to see the consequences of a serious speeding ticket.

I apologize Stephen, I took it the other way around.

You can hook up to 3 transponders to the Lidateck but the other two need to be bought extra if you want them, however, with the Lidatek, you only need more than one if you have a large car/truck or if you want rear protection. But in a 911 for example one transponder in the front is all that is neede to do the job. The Blinder and the others may need more diodes since their diode is weaker. But if they are legal that won't matter anyway in that case. The Bel lasser diffuser which is the other one that works well along with the Blinder and Lidatek, comes with 3 transponders also.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    So here is the way around it, Target (in Europe its Target, Lidatek in US, same thing), has just introduced a "Garage door opener" that works with laser (like TV remotes), and is advertised solely as a Remote Controlled laser system (LT450 LaserTrack Remote Controlled laser system from Target).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/13/18 10:19 AM
    RCA
    401289 5184
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/9/18 1:02 AM
    watt
    319462 1955
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/13/18 10:27 PM
    Grant
    263603 2919
    Porsche Sticky The moment I've been waiting for... 11/7/18 2:43 PM
    Pilot

210906 1077
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/4/18 5:39 PM
    Topspeed
    189095 2673
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018) 11/13/18 10:31 PM
    Grant
    119684 2383
    AMG Sticky Mercedes E63 S AMG (2018) - Short Review (updated on a regular basis) 9/25/18 7:06 AM
    RCA
    31701 315
    Porsche Sticky Paint protection film 9/25/18 6:14 PM
    throt
    13927 121
    Porsche Sticky Child seats in a 991 6/18/18 8:51 PM
    Monkey
    13242 31
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 1/9/18 1:43 PM
    Kimi
    521665 5816
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 4/3/18 9:15 AM
    KresoF1
    483059 4254
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 9/13/18 10:12 AM
    RCA
    278073 2589
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/13/18 7:11 PM
    MikeM1982
    261964 2592
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 1/23/18 12:27 AM
    RCA
    191337 1074
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/13/18 5:52 AM
    KMM
    188962 1734
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 10/29/18 5:13 PM
    reginos
    178211 3212
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 8/31/18 10:25 AM
    WAY
    142574 757
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/1/18 6:13 PM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    141144 2234
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 1/6/18 10:41 PM
    Wonderbar
    128032 1284
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 5/22/18 9:16 PM
    RCA
    111493 789
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 5/3/18 7:52 PM
    CGX car nut
    106402 871
    Porsche Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/6/18 12:58 PM
    RCA
    83762 1119
    Porsche Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design 10/13/18 9:50 PM
    RCA
    66400 672
    Porsche UPDATES: 2018 Porsche Cayenne 2/6/18 2:13 PM
    RCA
    57099 423
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Carrera GTS models 11/3/18 11:09 AM
    bluelines
    46555 477
    Others Tesla Model X Thread Closed 2/23/18 3:41 PM
    RCA
    42789 1122
    Others Tesla Roadster 11/13/18 8:09 PM
    WhoopsyM
    42549 1389
    AMG AMG GT R 1/26/18 7:19 AM
    GoHardGT3RS
    41191 597
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/13/18 5:48 PM
    WhoopsyM
    38776 633
    Lambo Aventador and SV 10/16/18 12:50 AM
    Topspeed
    38776 465
    291 items found, displaying 1 to 30.