Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.1 Carrera 4S

Bluelines, are the pictures re-worked, with a filter for e.g.? I am asking because the Dark Blue looks even more gorgeous than on the other pictures I have seen.

Ziggy:

Bluelines, are the pictures re-worked, with a filter for e.g.? I am asking because the Dark Blue looks even more gorgeous than on the other pictures I have seen.

The photos are processed and enhanced in DXO and Lightroom. Dark blue metallic is gorgeous Smiley A very nice color in most lights, which is unusual for dark Porsche metallics which tend to display a whole spectrum of different shades.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

On the top of Mount Rigi from this weekend.

_DSC0634.jpg

--

Isn;t post processing kind of cheating? Very curious about the workflow since I have 40,000 pics...

SciFrog:

Isn;t post processing kind of cheating? Very curious about the workflow since I have 40,000 pics...

Cheating what and who? Smiley

If you shoot in RAW then you need to post process. If you shoot in JPG, then not. Your camera will already have done most "post process" for you.

For me the photography is a creative process, from composing the scene to exporting the processed photo. It is a process of enhancement. You take something a refine it. There is no right or wrong. There is only a good or bad photo in the end Smiley

The basic workflow is pretty simple: I import all my photos in Adobe Lightroom and apply meta data during the import (for example, a tag "GT4" or "landscape"). Then I make an initial walk-thorough and reject all photos which I don't like. This leaves me with about 10% of the set which I then usually add to a collection (for example, "Scuderia Hanseat, September 2015"). All the meta data and collections are simply there to later be able to find the photos quickly. Then I make the RAW processing (exposure, contrast, tone, etc) and almost always I apply the punch preset in Lightroom since it does just what is says Smiley Now you are done.

For the more advanced processing you need actuals skills and experience. Something I learned through trial and error. That is the beauty of digital photography. If you make a mistake, then reset and redo. I usually fine adjust the blacks/whites and highlights/shadows to get all details out. For landscapes I always use the haze filter to make the photo more clear or import it DxO, run the ClearView filter and then export it back into Lightroom. Sometimes I play with black/white photos or simply low saturation which gives nice effects.

--

Here is an example of a black&white one which has gone through the entire process including DxO and fine tuning all curves (the color version is above).

1447262418494_DSC0694.jpg

--

The above ends up being very nice but does look processed...

I guess the processing depends what you want to achieve. You seem to want very few pics of very high quality. I prefer having many pics for remembering trips and moments. My keep rate is about 80% from my Leica 109...

Exactly, it depends on what one wants to achieve. I always shoot in rapid mode and get 3-4 photos for each shot. I only keep the sharpest and the rest goes. Often I take 2-3 variations of each scene and only keep the best. Hence, from 10 almost identical photos there is 1 winner.

For our 3 weeks Singapore and Australia trip last year I took just over 1000 photos and ended up keeping 100. Here are a few favourites which all have been processed to various extent:

DSC_4582.jpg
    DSC_4512.jpg
    DSC_4732.jpg
    DSC_4129.jpg
    DSC_4351.jpg
    DSC_4191.jpg

--

Lovely editing Bluelines. I agree with your view on it, pictures straight out of the camera need a little processing, IMO not to change them but to bring it a little closer to what we experience in reality. When I edit a photo is more to evoque the feeling I got from experiencing the moment in real life and giving it a little more "feeling" 

Enmanuel:

Lovely editing Bluelines. I agree with your view on it, pictures straight out of the camera need a little processing, IMO not to change them but to bring it a little closer to what we experience in reality. When I edit a photo is more to evoque the feeling I got from experiencing the moment in real life and giving it a little more "feeling" 

Thanks! Very well put. Enhancing the "feeling" Smiley

--

SciFrog:

I am with you on this :)

I am old school, used to shooting film and doing dark room stuff. I pretty much refused to do heavy digital post-processing outside of getting the white balanced, exposure corrections and cropping. Basically I wouldn't do anything that I cannot physically do in a dark room during the analog age.

--

bluelines:

1447304517966image.png.jpeg

Here is an example of a black&white one which has gone through the entire process including DxO and fine tuning all curves (the color version is above).

Wow, the difference is stunning!

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

I am old school, used to shooting film and doing dark room stuff. I pretty much refused to do heavy digital post-processing outside of getting the white balanced, exposure corrections and cropping. Basically I wouldn't do anything that I cannot physically do in a dark room during the analog age.

In the analog age people used to retouch their photos with an airbrush Smiley

What is your view on pre-processing then? Using artificial lights to enhance the conditions? Or shooting in a studio?

--

apias:
    bluelines:

LOL! Good one Smiley

--

Excellent photography! Much enjoy watching them!

apias:
    bluelines:

1447304517966image.png.jpeg

The black and white looks very nice, the colored one is over processed, it looks artificial and actually bad in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

The black and white looks very nice, the colored one is over processed, it looks artificial and actually bad in my opinion.

It is art and has nothing with good or bad to do in my opinion Smiley It can be appreciated or not appreciated.

--

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

What is your view on pre-processing then? Using artificial lights to enhance the conditions? Or shooting in a studio?

I agree, there is really no difference between using filters, artificial lighting, processing tricks, etc and digital processing. Either you allow both or neither otherwise you are in a contradiction out double standard. Personally were I draw the line is we're you alter the contents of the image such as removing objects from the picture or altering the proportions of objects in the image, etc. But that applies to both analog and digital, only that digitally is much easier to do.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Indeed but when filters change the mood and coloring to an artificial one, it is too much. I compare such photos with a woman's face lift. If it is too much and it looks artificial, it looks bad and unnatural.

When I work on photos, I usually only correct brightness and sharpness, I avoid playing around with color tones because the results usually look artificial. I also hate those Instagram photos using certain filters, they just look weird and unnatural. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Indeed but when filters change the mood and coloring to an artificial one, it is too much. I compare such photos with a woman's face lift. If it is too much and it looks artificial, it looks bad and unnatural.

When I work on photos, I usually only correct brightness and sharpness, I avoid playing around with color tones because the results usually look artificial. I also hate those Instagram photos using certain filters, they just look weird and unnatural. 

There are people out there that do over process a picture to death. But a good retouch can make a scene much better and reflect the original live scene more accurately.

Here's an example of a picture I took yesterday while visiting a new building, and of course of some mexican food I had a few days ago. With a little editing I could better convey how I saw the scene through my own eyes and help transmit the actual moment better and do more justice to the subject.

Original:

FullSizeRender 28.jpg

Retouched:

Not a huge difference but that's the thing, it doesn't need to change the picture to the breaking point, but small tweaks can change the viewers perspective. 
    IMG_7921.JPG

Original:

FullSizeRender 29.jpg

Retouched:

1447353220933FullSizeRender 28.jpg

Carlos from Spain:
    bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

I agree, there is really no difference between using filters, artificial lighting, processing tricks, etc and digital processing. Either you allow both or neither otherwise you are in a contradiction out double standard. Personally were I draw the line is we're you alter the contents of the image such as removing objects from the picture or altering the proportions of objects in the image, etc. But that applies to both analog and digital, only that digitally is much easier to do.

Agreed, which is why I use neither pre or post processing...

Emmanuel, your processed pics look much better than the original ones. But that's the problem, they actually aren't real as in you could not have observed your processed pics with you own eyes but have to use some artifact to do so. It then becomes art as mentioned above. So it really depends what you are trying to achieve: snapping a memory OR an artistic impression of it.

The dirty little secret behind all this though is that most if not all pics that you look at and that you think "whoa I would love to take pics like that" look the way they do because they have been processed, the skill being how to process them, not how to take the pics or equipment used...

SciFrog:

Emmanuel, your processed pics look much better than the original ones. But that's the problem, they actually aren't real as in you could not have observed your processed pics with you own eyes but have to use some artifact to do so. It then becomes art as mentioned above. So it really depends what you are trying to achieve: snapping a memory OR an artistic impression of it.

That assumes that what the camera sensor (or film...) captures is "real".   However, digital sensors are nowhere near as capable as our eyes in capturing the range of tones (dynamic range) in a scene.  What happens when there is big contrast in a scene, captured by any digital sensor, is that shadows become compressed to black (when your eyes saw some detail in shadows), and highlights become burned out to pure white, again with no detail.  Better sensors and cameras do better than phones, but the limitation is still there.  So even without any post-processing, what a camera captures is still not "what your brain saw".   The most basic aim of post-processing is to just get it back to what your brain saw - yes you can add much more punch (eg. Bluelines shots), more mood, more anything, if you want to move your images to more impressionistic or artistic -- all fair game if this is your intent and enjoyment.  

Here are two images from a walk yesterday:  first is the JPEG image from the camera - can't do much with this as Bluelines noted; it is already processed, and because the camera tried to average the exposure with shadows in the foreground and bright sunlit areas in the background, the bright areas in the buildings, and even parts of the boats, are completely burnt out and not recoverable.  This is not really what I saw, but it is what the camera's JPEG gave me - I would consider it a bad image because the blown out highlights are distracting.

Raw_example.jpg

Here is a second version, which I spent 90 seconds processing from the RAW file the camera also gave me.  I simply took down the exposure and brightness in the upper section, and slightly boosted the shadows in the foreground, to better replicate the dynamic range I actually saw on my walk. Not intended to be a prize photo here, just an illustration of  how you can use processing that (like Enmanuel's architecture example above) still stay in the "real" zone.   

Raw_example-2.jpg

But to SciFrog's concern about workflow and time spent - none of this processing is worth it time-wise, unless you get some enjoyment out of your images as images, in addition to their value as moments of our lives.  My workflow is almost identical to Bluelines' (except I keep maybe 30% since I don't repeat as many as he does...), and the vast majority of the RAW files don't see any processing as they view quite nicely on the screen or they don't rate highly enough for me to use (ie. post, email, print).  For the vast majority of people the images any camera or phone produces are good enough to serve their purpose as memories - just make sure you use backups.  Smiley

PS.  No bonus points for Whoopsy for telling me where this is... Smiley

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Very enlightening discussion. In the end it's all about how much time you want to allocate to your pics. On most trips I have 300 to 800 keepers. 90s per pic would take hours and hours...

Exactly, to each their own priorities and enjoyments.  And after that typically RT diversion into photos..... I do look forward to Bluelines'  car / Switzerland photos, no matter how they are processed... kiss 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

That assumes that what the camera sensor (or film...) captures is "real".   However, digital sensors are nowhere near as capable as our eyes in capturing the range of tones (dynamic range) in a scene.  What happens when there is big contrast in a scene, captured by any digital sensor, is that shadows become compressed to black (when your eyes saw some detail in shadows), and highlights become burned out to pure white, again with no detail.  Better sensors and cameras do better than phones, but the limitation is still there.  So even without any post-processing, what a camera captures is still not "what your brain saw". 

That´s exactly the point. Processing is part of the story. Many digital filters have their origin in specific films, papers and chemicals that gave a certain character to the photos. Same with analogue devices for electric guitars, most digital components today just copy the character these devices established with certain technical ingredients.

As soon as the picture exits the camera in TIFF or JPEG format, the electronics have applied certain algorithms to the raw data of the picture sensor. Certain over-processing as in Bluelines´ pictures is very common today, nothing wrong with that. I personally think that these increased values fit very well to these particular pictures.

Very interesting discussion kiss Thanks for everyone's input. I enjoyed reading this a lot.

I will, shame on me, return to the topic of the dark blue C4S...

1447365450609DSC_0026.jpgDSC_6590.jpgDSC_3928.jpg

--

1447365602991DSC_1225.jpg
    DSC_2975.jpg
    DSC_2502.jpg

--

L1020160.jpg
    L1010230.jpg
    L1010876.jpg
    L1010666.jpg

A few NOT processed JPEG pics from last month straight out of a Leica 109 wink

I am not a very good photographer but to me they don't need anything and reflect how I saw these scenes...

SciFrog:

A few NOT processed JPEG pics from last month straight out of a Leica 109 wink

Really? Smiley Your camera would not agree with you since it post-processed them for you automatically Smiley

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 23.36.27.png

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/24/17 2:38 AM
    JoeRockhead
    254903 1613
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/23/17 5:27 PM
    Grant
    228223 3480
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/22/17 8:31 PM
    LP997
    76457 1148
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/22/17 9:35 AM
    Gnil
    55998 565
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/22/17 10:22 PM
    SciFrog
    32762 316
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/23/17 7:04 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    22219 318
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 11/24/17 12:48 PM
    acky
    12457 225
    Porsche Sticky Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018) 9/1/17 3:15 AM
    turbolite
    9221 59
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5019 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    538539 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/22/17 10:44 AM
    Gnil
    446282 5791
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440603 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    249797 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/24/17 12:21 AM
    AP911
    242477 2512
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1

229056 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/19/17 1:54 PM
    the-missile
    206836 2458
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173225 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    159201 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot

158804 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/17 3:35 PM
    Topspeed
    134214 1169
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/17 12:01 AM
    noone1
    132408 2722
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122133 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo

106373 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 9/11/17 9:24 AM
    RCA
    106237 1254
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105111 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/2/17 11:05 AM
    RCA
    102193 1825
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 11/12/17 3:18 PM
    nberry
    82949 753
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    79850 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    76982 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM