Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread


    My 500 mile report

    For all the in-depth discussion on manual v. tip and VTG eliminating turbo lag (or not) and lousy exhaust sound, I just wanted to report that I just hit 500 miles AND I LOVE THIS CAR!

    V. Quick, v. fast. great steering, brakes and feedback in the corners - total confidence in a stealthy package.

    Just wanted to say this for those of you who are waiting. I can't imagine a better, more refined all weather street car.

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Sound likes someone is having fun!

    Thanks for the short review. I like to hear that this car gives confidence.

    It's good to hear you love this car and that you're enjoying it!

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Awesome.. Thanks for the report. I have driven the 996tt and found the turbo lag very minimal, and don't know what to make of all the reports that the 997tt turbo lag is so noticable. What is your impression about the turbo lag on the 997tt?

    Re: My 500 mile report

    PICS !!!!

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    For all the in-depth discussion on manual v. tip and VTG eliminating turbo lag (or not) and lousy exhaust sound, I just wanted to report that I just hit 500 miles AND I LOVE THIS CAR!

    V. Quick, v. fast. great steering, brakes and feedback in the corners - total confidence in a stealthy package.

    Just wanted to say this for those of you who are waiting. I can't imagine a better, more refined all weather street car.



    Alan
    you make my waiting even harder

    Re: My 500 mile report

    thanks for the support..

    ciao

    Re: My 500 mile report

    If you're on the highway in 6th gear at 2000 RPM and you nail the accelerator, you'll feel the lag (low load on engine). Anything north of 3000 RPM in any gear and you just GO. No disappointment here

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Enjoy it in good health

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    If you're on the highway in 6th gear at 2000 RPM and you nail the accelerator, you'll feel the lag (low load on engine). Anything north of 3000 RPM in any gear and you just GO. No disappointment here



    i had never a P-TT in my life, i live in a country that the best car i can find in my city, is a CS. So comparing with my challengers, my car will be the best no doubt. most of u lives in countrys that is normal find a car in the street with 500HP. thats the point. no car with 2000rpm give a jump with gas! take a vette with a lot of liters and try it at 2000. even the vette cannot be faster at this REV.

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    If you're on the highway in 6th gear at 2000 RPM and you nail the accelerator, you'll feel the lag (low load on engine). Anything north of 3000 RPM in any gear and you just GO. No disappointment here



    i had never a P-TT in my life, i live in a country that the best car i can find in my city, is a CS. So comparing with my challengers, my car will be the best no doubt. most of u lives in countrys that is normal find a car in the street with 500HP. thats the point. no car with 2000rpm give a jump with gas! take a vette with a lot of liters and try it at 2000. even the vette cannot be faster at this REV.


    Yes, a Z06 at 2k revs has INSTANT torque and quite alot of it...

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    xandi911 said:
    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    If you're on the highway in 6th gear at 2000 RPM and you nail the accelerator, you'll feel the lag (low load on engine). Anything north of 3000 RPM in any gear and you just GO. No disappointment here



    i had never a P-TT in my life, i live in a country that the best car i can find in my city, is a CS. So comparing with my challengers, my car will be the best no doubt. most of u lives in countrys that is normal find a car in the street with 500HP. thats the point. no car with 2000rpm give a jump with gas! take a vette with a lot of liters and try it at 2000. even the vette cannot be faster at this REV.


    Yes, a Z06 at 2k revs has INSTANT torque and quite alot of it...


    oh yes? so put a vette and a TT and try it.. the feelings can be wrong. it could be a little responsive, but u will see that the difference its to small, comparing the difference of liters of both cars. its like they say: american toys, a lot of liters and low power (ferrari has the same power with so many liters less)

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    For all the in-depth discussion on manual v. tip and VTG eliminating turbo lag (or not) and lousy exhaust sound, I just wanted to report that I just hit 500 miles AND I LOVE THIS CAR!

    V. Quick, v. fast. great steering, brakes and feedback in the corners - total confidence in a stealthy package.

    Just wanted to say this for those of you who are waiting. I can't imagine a better, more refined all weather street car.



    I haven't driven my car as hard as Alan's, but I have to say that I completely agree with his review.

    Re: My 500 mile report

    @xandia -

    The Porsche TT makes less hp, less torque and weighs 400lbs more. It also has slower throttle response than the Corvette and the Porsche tt cannot rev as high the Z06.

    The 7 litre corvette engine weighs almost the same as the TT
    engine, V10 M6/M5 engine or the F430 engines. It has bigger displacement and will not wear out as fast as the others as it is less stressed.

    So yes, Porsche should be very concerned.


    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    @xandia -

    The Porsche TT makes less hp, less torque and weighs 400lbs more. It also has slower throttle response than the Corvette and the Porsche tt cannot rev as high the Z06.

    The 7 litre corvette engine weighs almost the same as the TT
    engine, V10 M6/M5 engine or the F430 engines. It has bigger displacement and will not wear out as fast as the others as it is less stressed.

    So yes, Porsche should be very concerned.






    Some very valid points, however, the corvette engine is NOT as well built as the Porsche's engine. Less quality equals less money. Sometimes it is as simple as that.
    I'm not going to play the corvette challenge again. the Z06 is an awesome car at a great price. It's not in the same league, in some respects as the 911.
    I own a 997tt and I'm sure the Z06 IS in the same league speed-wise; but that's it. :

    Re: My 500 mile report

    What makes you say that the Z06 engine is not as well built?

    If anything, it might be better built. It certainly is a better design when you compare output for cost. The entire engine shipped in a crate to your door is only 20K

    The LS7's specifications are significant for a production engine:

    * 505 horsepower @ 6200 rpm
    * 475 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm
    * 7000-rpm redline
    * Unique engine block with larger 104.8-mm (4.125-inch) bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
    * Forged steel crankshaft with 101.6-mm (4-inch) stroke
    * Titanium connecting rods
    * Cast aluminum flat-top pistons
    * Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
    * Dry-sump oiling system
    * 11.0:1 compression ratio
    * Camshaft with 15-mm (.591-inch) lift
    * Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique "quad flow" collector flanges.

    All LS7 engines are assembled by hand. The standards they are built to include deck-plate boring and honing of the cylinders and even crank line-boring of the block with the deck plates and side bolts installed - procedures normally associated with the building of racing engines and almost unheard of in a production-vehicle engine.

    And wait, theres more ... Every engine is dyno'd and certfied by a 3rd party independent SAE inspector to make at least 505hp and all engines are run in for 20 minutes
    before they are installed in the cars.

    When Noble makes a car for it, Im sure Alan will be the first to order one in the US.

    Re: My 500 mile report

    In all seriousness, I am taking my car back to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out. My car has so much lag that I'm starting to think there is something wrong with it.

    I'm glad to hear that Alan and Devo's reports are contrary to my experience because outside of this nagging lag issue this car is feels and drives unbelievably well.

    I will post what my tech says tomorrow.

    Thanks for the report guys and enjoy your cars in the best of health.

    Amir

    Re: My 500 mile report

    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    What makes you say that the Z06 engine is not as well built?

    If anything, it might be better built. It certainly is a better design when you compare output for cost. The entire engine shipped in a crate to your door is only 20K

    The LS7's specifications are significant for a production engine:

    * 505 horsepower @ 6200 rpm
    * 475 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm
    * 7000-rpm redline
    * Unique engine block with larger 104.8-mm (4.125-inch) bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
    * Forged steel crankshaft with 101.6-mm (4-inch) stroke
    * Titanium connecting rods
    * Cast aluminum flat-top pistons
    * Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
    * Dry-sump oiling system
    * 11.0:1 compression ratio
    * Camshaft with 15-mm (.591-inch) lift
    * Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique "quad flow" collector flanges.

    All LS7 engines are assembled by hand. The standards they are built to include deck-plate boring and honing of the cylinders and even crank line-boring of the block with the deck plates and side bolts installed - procedures normally associated with the building of racing engines and almost unheard of in a production-vehicle engine.

    And wait, theres more ... Every engine is dyno'd and certfied by a 3rd party independent SAE inspector to make at least 505hp and all engines are run in for 20 minutes
    before they are installed in the cars.

    When Noble makes a car for it, Im sure Alan will be the first to order one in the US.



    A very impressive package, indeed, but old school; not that that's bad...just low tech. It's the same old adage "there's no replacement for displacement."
    When it comes down to it does it really matter "how" one achieves horsepower, IF, that horsepower is usable, reliable and cost effective. If Chevy designed a high tech engine, obviously the cost would go up.
    Although, I am a P fan, I still get exited reading the list of go-goodies which you list.
    I do, however, prefer the feel of a comtemporary hi-tech engine. The vette's engine, is obviously it's best point.
    I don't believe you could buy the current 3.6l turbo for $20K.
    There is no right or wrong answer. Both are great cars imo. I just prefer the tt.

     
    Edit

    Forum

    Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA 11/24/17 2:38 AM
    JoeRockhead
    254903 1613
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017) 11/23/17 5:27 PM
    Grant
    228223 3480
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: 911 GT2 RS (2017) 11/22/17 8:31 PM
    LP997
    76457 1148
    Porsche Sticky 992 (Next 911 generation 2019/2020) 11/22/17 9:35 AM
    Gnil
    55998 565
    Porsche Sticky Porsche Mission E - the future of Porsche? 11/22/17 10:22 PM
    SciFrog
    32762 316
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo S Exclusive Series (2017) 11/23/17 7:04 PM
    EnglishManInNY
    22219 318
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: New Porsche Carrera T 11/24/17 12:48 PM
    acky
    12457 225
    Porsche Sticky Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018) 9/1/17 3:15 AM
    turbolite
    9221 59
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 718 GTS models (Oct. 2017) 10/24/17 12:19 PM
    amazon
    5019 19
    Porsche 918 latest news Thread Closed 11/6/17 10:43 AM
    RCA
    538539 5574
    Porsche 991 GT3 RS 11/22/17 10:44 AM
    Gnil
    446282 5791
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 991 Turbo and Turbo S 10/26/17 1:33 PM
    NSXER
    440603 4239
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift 3/24/17 12:49 PM
    RCA
    249797 1382
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016) 11/24/17 12:21 AM
    AP911
    242477 2512
    Porsche 997 GT3 RS 4.0 3/15/17 10:40 PM
    noone1
     
     
     
     
     
    229056 737
    Porsche Cayman GT4 11/19/17 1:54 PM
    the-missile
    206836 2458
    Porsche 991 GT2 RS (2017) - Rumors, speculations and gossip Thread Closed 7/3/17 2:04 PM
    RCA
    173225 1699
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S 11/13/17 4:48 PM
    RCA
    159201 1066
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 11/13/17 2:32 AM
    Pilot
     
     
     
     
     
    158804 874
    Ferrari 488 GTB/GTS 11/21/17 3:35 PM
    Topspeed
    134214 1169
    McLaren McLaren on a winning streak 11/25/17 12:01 AM
    noone1
    132408 2722
    Porsche 991.2 GT3 Thread Closed 3/7/17 11:47 AM
    RCA
    122133 1651
    Porsche Collected my 997 GTS today 1/22/17 7:32 AM
    BiTurbo
     
     
     
     
     
    106373 801
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016) 9/11/17 9:24 AM
    RCA
    106237 1254
    Porsche Boxster Spyder (981) 7/18/17 9:22 PM
    beltar
    105111 688
    Others Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016 model) - Review (updated Feb 13th 2017) 11/2/17 11:05 AM
    RCA
    102193 1825
    Ferrari Ferrari F12 Berlinetta / 599 GTO Successor 11/12/17 3:18 PM
    nberry
    82949 753
    Porsche OFFICIAL: 718 Boxster (2016) 10/20/17 11:17 AM
    DaveGordon
    79850 732
    Others VW caught cheating emissions tests 7/10/17 2:36 PM
    RCA
    76982 861
    Porsche 991 GTS 4/3/17 4:27 PM
    bluelines
    64720 247
    382 items found, displaying 1 to 30.